This is a great read covering the Advanced Stats

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow

My Takeaways
1. Charlie Thomas is graded 2nd best LB in country by PFF after 3 games
2. Biggers is making a impact already early on in his career
3. Johnson at RG has apparently being the weak link at Oline so far
4. Under tons of pressure Yates done admirably statistically and apparently if he can be give time basically what we seen is true he will pick people apart.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand how we don’t have someone In the wings who can run-block better than Ryan Johnson

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
3. Johnson at RG has apparently being the weak link at Oline so far
I don't understand why Kenneth Kirby isn't given a shot at RG.

From the article:
"But the point remains that there was trouble across the line but nowhere more so than the RG position. This one just confuses me, because the coaches seem absolutely unwilling to try someone else there. It’s time for that to change, even if just for a couple of series to see if there’s another combination that can hold up more effectively."

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don’t understand how we don’t have someone In the wings who can run-block better than Ryan Johnson
I mean Kirby primarily play tackle I thought but I know I saw him in there a little on Saturday I think when they had a injury? They way I see it you have Kirby, Pendley, Lay, A. Smith as options most of other guys are True Freshman that I'm sure they would like to possible hold on to red-shirt status for

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
So according to advanced stats and win probability we were never more than a 23% win probability. As much as we hung in there, that sounds about right... We were there but never really were in position to take over the game. We needed a lightning bolt and it never came.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
So according to advanced stats and win probability we were never more than a 23% win probability. As much as we hung in there, that sounds about right... We were there but never really were in position to take over the game. We needed a lightning bolt and it never came.
Inside the ten the lightning was there (Mason, Gibbs, Smith, Griffin) but Coach P kept it in the bottle.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The stat I want to see improve most next week: Defensive third down percentage
In FBS games, we are currently giving up 51.85% of third downs (good for 112th). We performed admirably against Clemson overall, but still allowed 56% conversion rate. This won't be sustainable all season, and I hope going forward we can start to bring it down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the metrics for Yates, it's REALLY hard to make a case for benching him right now. You see what JT Daniels (a 5 star recruit, who has a better OL and skill players) did when UGA played Clemson and Yates did a better job with less to work with. From the article:

Predictably, Yates faced intense pressure from the Clemson front. He struggled to the tune of -0.64 EPA/pass in those situations. Significantly though, he posted a very strong 0.19 EPA/pass play when not under pressure. Football Outsiders has done research demonstrating that a QB’s EPA numbers are much stickier (in terms of year to year consistency) when facing no pressure. That is, the impressive number Yates put up with a clean pocket should tell us more about what to expect about his future performance. That kind of EPA average against a destructive defense bodes well for what we can expect from Yates for the rest of the season. He earned another start and more with his showing Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to be really interested to see how Yates plays against UNC. UNC has a talented defense, but their DL is no where near the level of Clemson's.