This Guy James Franklin

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty obvious what going on here: Franklin is setting up shop at GSU in order to recruit and evaluate players from the state of Georgia. It'll be plainly obvious when over half the guys who show up at the camp are waaaay above GSU's typical caliber of SA. Nice way to skirt the rules. Not surprised one bit, nor that ATL1 likes it.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I only hate it because it's James Franklin. It's honestly a great idea for Penn state, and I think you will see more northern teams follow suit. **** James Franklin though

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's allowed under NCAA rules, and James Franklin is only leveraging the rules for the benefit of his football program. CPJ has the very same opportunity to do it, say with Navy in Annapolis where it's mutually beneficial for both programs, but he hasn't.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It benefits GASt to get higher caliber SAs that would normally not attend and possibly open their eyes to what GASt has to offer, and PSU because the state of GA is a priority for Franklin.

GASt also does spring scrimmages at different high schools around the state during spring training. If anything, State and their staff is doing a great job of trying to raise the programs profile.

You may hat Franklin the person, but he's playing within the rules and is doing a great job of taking advantage of the rules to help his program.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If Franklin stays clean and adjust to Penn State's culture he will be successful, Penn State can be come relevant again.

I believe if this arrangement last for a few years GSU could win some recruits that would ordinarily not consider GSU as well as receive quality transfers of athletes that pass through the camps.

Myles is doing good things at GSU, when the Panthers start winning I believe that program can flourish!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The only reason it's within the rules is because the NCAA didn't think of it first. It directly violates the purpose of the rule which is to prevent coaches from setting up camps outside their home state. Please explain to me how this is any different than that?

GT going to Navy and doing the same thing is absurd, we are in competition, whether you like it or not, for some of the same athletes. This is not the case for PSU and GSU and that's why it is mutually beneficial. Actually, I think PSU is getting the larger end of the stick in this deal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The only reason it's within the rules is because the NCAA didn't think of it first. It directly violates the purpose of the rule which is to prevent coaches from setting up camps outside their home state. Please explain to me how this is any different than that?

GT going to Navy and doing the same thing is absurd, we are in competition, whether you like it or not, for some of the same athletes. This is not the case for PSU and GSU and that's why it is mutually beneficial. Actually, I think PSU is getting the larger end of the stick in this deal.

If you have a problem with it, take it up with the NCAA. Until the NCAA changes the rules, it's legal.

Franklin has proven to be a progressive coach that knows how to leverage technology and marketing toward the benefit of his program. He was one of the first coaches to embrace social media in reaching out to recruits and fans. Now he holding joint camps with staffs in target rich recruiting areas. If anyone has a problem with Franlin's creative ways to put his program in front of recruits, it says more about how you feel about how your own staff is handling things than it does about Franklin. Whether you think PSU or GASt is getting the better run of the deal doesn't matter, Myles is the one that made the decision not Franklin. It can be win-win for both parties.

BTW...Navy is in competition with GT for recruits. GT is NOT in competition with Navy for recruits. If you don't believe that distinction then GT has a really big recruiting problem...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't like Franklin...but this is a smart move. He really gets after it on the recruiting trail.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

You think? :)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like Franklin he doesn't settle for less and thinks outside the box. He recruits is a@@ off and he's not a bad coach either. His offense is much like Freidgen's which make sense since he is a Freidgen protege.