This could be just Crazy

Alright, I was very impressed with Mr. Sims and as such stated that I have never seen a Tech QB in the first game do what he did. Now. let's just imagine he keeps getting better. Do you realize, he could be our starting QB for the next 5 years? This of course assumes he stays and does not opt for Pro ball. Imagine a lot of the young guys could be here that long. Of course the downside would be it would be tough to get a real talent at QB to sit on the bench behind him.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If Jeff is our QB for 5 years, then that's not a good sign for the program. He's got all the tools to be an NFL QB, so unless he's a very odd duck to not take the leap when the opportunity is afforded, him sticking around as a 5 year starter means he doesn't end up developing to his potential and no one else will have surpassed him.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I love the thought. But there’s no way an elite college QB stays 5 years unless he’s not an NFL Draft prospect. I think for the long-term benefit of our program, it’d be best if he’s here 3 years and then leaves to become a 1st round pick.

That isn't exactly true. Sometimes they will stay for the degree, sometimes they will stay to attempt a NC. And sometimes its nto a great year for QBs to come out and they might go higher the next year for more money.

I'll just throw this in, many of the great college QB's do not translate to be Pro material. We have never had one at Tech. Jeff seems more like a duel threat style that pro type but then if pro ball keeps evolving into more of the college game then he has a shot. I would like to see him stay at least 4, which includes this year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'll just throw this in, many of the great college QB's do not translate to be Pro material. We have never had one at Tech. Jeff seems more like a duel threat style that pro type but then if pro ball keeps evolving into more of the college game then he has a shot. I would like to see him stay at least 4, which includes this year.

His legs will only help. The NFL is valuing that more and more. It is only the QBs that have deficiencies in size, scheme they ran in college, arm strength, etc. that can be elite in college but questionable NFL prospects. Jeff has the physical tools, and we are running a pro-style scheme. Yes it's a shotgun spread which might not be the same as a would-be pro team, but he's still learning to read the defense, adjust protections, make a full array of throws, etc. here. Plenty of college offenses are much more limited in what they ask the QB to do, and plenty of college QBs rely on their athleticism to succeed within their college system that won't translate to the pro level.

If he is as good as he seems, we don’t have the payroll to keep a player like that beyond 3 years like Clemson or LSU.

LOL...now that's funny...but probably true. Idea, get our useless uh I mean partners at Adidas to make Gold number 10 jerseys and Jeff would get a piece of the deal...I would buy one.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys: it's one game. A very nice game, but one game.

You do realize the last GT QB to be drafted at all was Joe Ham in the 7th round? And some of ya think that if Sims is anything but a 3 year 1st round draft pick it's a massive disappointment

Enjoy the fact we seem to have a good QB but damn, slam the brakes on a little bit

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

You do realize the last GT QB to be drafted at all was Joe Ham in the 7th round? And some of ya think that if Sims is anything but a 3 year 1st round draft pick it's a massive disappointment

Enjoy the fact we seem to have a good QB but damn, slam the brakes on a little bit
Stop it! You're making WAY too much sense!

This is the internet, after all..

LOL....you are right but I will just say this, I have seen Tech QB's for 51 years and I have not seen a first time starter do what he did vs an elite defense and don't kid yourself FSU is that on defense. Some of the older folks will remember but the only QB that reminds me of being close was....Eddie McShan.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

Haha true, but what round would JH of been picked if he was 6’4”

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
LOL....you are right but I will just say this, I have seen Tech QB's for 51 years and I have not seen a first time starter do what he did vs an elite defense and don't kid yourself FSU is that on defense. Some of the older folks will remember but the only QB that reminds me of being close was....Eddie McShan.
Im not sure we know what FSU really is on defense. They played a true freshman last year at home in the opening game as well. They gave up over 600 yards and 36 points. They seem to have the tools but didn't really excel last year and didn't get off to a great start against us. If they do end up being elite then that obviously bodes well for Sims and the OL. Personally, I think they just got out game planned in this game.