This can't be helpful for recruiting

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow
Couldn't agree more. No question this is an advantage that will be used in recruiting.

How it's not flat for every school, I will never understand.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It think this has been discussed about they UTk offer more than say Tech is bc we give each athlete a laptop. So it sorta balance outs. There are pros and cons. I pretty sure they can't offer this to there athletes.
image.jpg

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
The calculations are based around services/amenities already provided by the schools to the athletes. I read that since GT provides their football players with laptops for schoolwork, they pay less cash for cost of attendance. Other schools, like UT, that don't provide computers and other amenities to their football players make up the difference by offering more money. As far as I'm concerned, this shouldn't affect our recruiting at all because the type of student athletes we go after will easily understand the situation and see that GT is setting them up better to succeed in school and on the field. If a recruit wants picks a school just for the amount of money they can get, they probably couldn't make it at Tech anyways.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
A laptop costs $500-1000 these days, double that if you want to splurge. Do we give a new laptop every year?

We are talking about UT paying about $4000 more per year for 4 years. Big difference that can't be explained with just a laptop...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The calculations are based around services/amenities already provided by the schools to the athletes. I read that since GT provides their football players with laptops for schoolwork, they pay less cash for cost of attendance. Other schools, like UT, that don't provide computers and other amenities to their football players make up the difference by offering more money. As far as I'm concerned, this shouldn't affect our recruiting at all because the type of student athletes we go after will easily understand the situation and see that GT is setting them up better to succeed in school and on the field. If a recruit wants picks a school just for the amount of money they can get, they probably couldn't make it at Tech anyways.
You can buy a lot of expensive laptops for the $400 a month difference x 4 years.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Unlike in my days with CPJ, the guys can stay off campus and have housing paid for(if he has 2.5 after first/2nd semester of Fr yr). This is just one of 2 new amenities offered that is next to Tech square.
I appreciate the information. This is definitely nicer than when I had to live in Howell.:D

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It think this has been discussed about they UTk offer more than say Tech is bc we give each athlete a laptop. So it sorta balance outs. There are pros and cons. I pretty sure they can't offer this to there athletes.
View attachment 853

Wow. We give our athletes a new building? Crap, I need to polish my route-running skills!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
No. It is not athlete specific. These are new student apartments. but the benefit of this is that you get room& board money usually splitting that rent 3-4 ways

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The laptops are terrible from what I've seen. Couldn't cost more than $300-400 per laptop especially in bulk
Really off topic, but is it reasonable that a PC maker would make GT an offer it couldn't refuse in return for such a huge purchase every year, and bragging rights as the "official PC of GT"? Put a Tech marketing class at work on it, pronto.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, for what it's worth, each school is STILL capped at a maximum number of players they can sign per season regardless of how much they're "paying" their players, and these schools, in all honesty, were typically not competing for the same players we were because they are in the SEC and guys who want to go for "factories" typically rarely consider us anyway.

On the other hand, when we sell our "40-year plan" (one in six graduates go on to become millionaires regardless of whether they player gets drafted into the pros, which they should realize is a small probability based on historical data), then the 4-5 years of difference in spending money in college amortized over those 40 years is a drop in the ocean when looking at the bigger picture.

Really off topic, but is it reasonable that a PC maker would make GT an offer it couldn't refuse in return for such a huge purchase every year, and bragging rights as the "official PC of GT"? Put a Tech marketing class at work on it, pronto.
And the possibility that the student would stay with that brand for years after he left Tech.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
To be honest, UT would always outbid us for players anyway (if there was a free legal market). Maybe it's actually a blessing that the difference is set to be only $400 more per month. :)