Thirty six years ago, I walked out of the cesspool

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
after the toughest loss I have ever seen against uga. We blew a 20-0 lead, uga scored late on a 4th down pass and got a two point conversion to take a one point lead after we had stopped their first attempt but were called for a penalty. They ran back a punt for a TD followed by a KO return for a TD by Drew Hill. Eddie Lee Ivery was unstoppable until he came out of a third quarter pileup with a twisted ankle and left the game. At the end, we were driving for a winning FG until uga made a diving interception. We lost 29-28. Toughest loss, worse than '73 or '76 or even '66. Maximum pain!

Up until that time, we had been fairly competitive with uga. Since that time, uga has beaten us in the last minute countless ways. Had we won a third of the games that were decided in the last two minutes, our football history and uga's would look vastly different. Most would say the losses were due to uga's depth. I think a large part of that was just the streak that began in '78. Sports streaks take on a life of their own. Cubs, Red Sox, Clemson over UVA, Joe Dimaggio. I always expect to beat Clemson. In '98, five games in a row, we sacked the qb, forced a fumble and ran it in for a TD. You just knew it was going to happen. Same thing happened in the bowl game later that year against ND except Jesse Tarplin was tackled at the one yard line. Streaks begin with maximum pain and continue until they are replaced by another streak. I thought '98-'00 had done that, especially with what happened in '99. That was very close to this game for drama, but the games since then showed the streak was intact.

Today, I knew uga was going to score on 4th down with 18 seconds left. We could have had 15 men on the field, and it would not have mattered. That's what streaks do. Streaks inherently act in the most painful possible way. I was mad that we didn't let uga score on 1st down since it was a certainty they would score anyway so that we might have some time left. But scoring on 4th down was maximum pain, so that's when the streak dictated they score. This loss was really going to hurt because I have come to like this team as much as '90, maybe even a little more. An empty, aching, despair began in my intestines and spread out from there. I didn't really listen to the last two plays of regulation. I knew it was futile. I dared to hope when we scored in OT, but then a blocked XP. I even had to secretly admire the streak for coming up with a novel way to cause maximum pain squared. It wasn't going to hurt as badly as '78 because I'm older now and nothing, not even pain, is as intense as it was 36 years ago. But it was still going to be painful.

But then we won, and now I truly believe that the streak has been replaced by a new streak more to our liking. Streaks begin with maximum pain, and that is what was felt in the cesspool this weekend. From Missouri winning to the near miraculous way we won. uga watched all their hopes evaporate in a 24 hour period, and the reality of their bleak football future is upon them. They couldn't make the sec championship game when the sec east is the weakest it has ever been. They couldn't beat the worst Florida and USCe teams in a decade with a Heisman running back. The despair I felt with 18 seconds left has migrated into dog intestines, and it won't be leaving soon. The streak has moved across the field.

Bama experienced maximum pain against Auburn in last year's game. That may have started a streak. I see AU is leading UA by 9 late in the 3rd. Don't you think every player on Bama's team is experiencing flashbacks and wondering how they will lose this time.

Why didn't the streak move in '99? That had to be pretty painful for the buttlickers. I can only guess, that for maximum pain, it had to happen in athens in front of as many dwags as possible. Or maybe, streaks have to go to the place of their birth to die.

I haven't been back to athens since 1978, and that is one streak that won't die.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
after the toughest loss I have ever seen against uga. We blew a 20-0 lead, uga scored late on a 4th down pass and got a two point conversion to take a one point lead after we had stopped their first attempt but were called for a penalty. They ran back a punt for a TD followed by a KO return for a TD by Drew Hill. Eddie Lee Ivery was unstoppable until he came out of a third quarter pileup with a twisted ankle and left the game. At the end, we were driving for a winning FG until uga made a diving interception. We lost 29-28. Toughest loss, worse than '73 or '76 or even '66. Maximum pain!

Up until that time, we had been fairly competitive with uga. Since that time, uga has beaten us in the last minute countless ways. Had we won a third of the games that were decided in the last two minutes, our football history and uga's would look vastly different. Most would say the losses were due to uga's depth. I think a large part of that was just the streak that began in '78. Sports streaks take on a life of their own. Cubs, Red Sox, Clemson over UVA, Joe Dimaggio. I always expect to beat Clemson. In '98, five games in a row, we sacked the qb, forced a fumble and ran it in for a TD. You just knew it was going to happen. Same thing happened in the bowl game later that year against ND except Jesse Tarplin was tackled at the one yard line. Streaks begin with maximum pain and continue until they are replaced by another streak. I thought '98-'00 had done that, especially with what happened in '99. That was very close to this game for drama, but the games since then showed the streak was intact.

Today, I knew uga was going to score on 4th down with 18 seconds left. We could have had 15 men on the field, and it would not have mattered. That's what streaks do. Streaks inherently act in the most painful possible way. I was mad that we didn't let uga score on 1st down since it was a certainty they would score anyway so that we might have some time left. But scoring on 4th down was maximum pain, so that's when the streak dictated they score. This loss was really going to hurt because I have come to like this team as much as '90, maybe even a little more. An empty, aching, despair began in my intestines and spread out from there. I didn't really listen to the last two plays of regulation. I knew it was futile. I dared to hope when we scored in OT, but then a blocked XP. I even had to secretly admire the streak for coming up with a novel way to cause maximum pain squared. It wasn't going to hurt as badly as '78 because I'm older now and nothing, not even pain, is as intense as it was 36 years ago. But it was still going to be painful.

But then we won, and now I truly believe that the streak has been replaced by a new streak more to our liking. Streaks begin with maximum pain, and that is what was felt in the cesspool this weekend. From Missouri winning to the near miraculous way we won. uga watched all their hopes evaporate in a 24 hour period, and the reality of their bleak football future is upon them. They couldn't make the sec championship game when the sec east is the weakest it has ever been. They couldn't beat the worst Florida and USCe teams in a decade with a Heisman running back. The despair I felt with 18 seconds left has migrated into dog intestines, and it won't be leaving soon. The streak has moved across the field.

Bama experienced maximum pain against Auburn in last year's game. That may have started a streak. I see AU is leading UA by 9 late in the 3rd. Don't you think every player on Bama's team is experiencing flashbacks and wondering how they will lose this time.

Why didn't the streak move in '99? That had to be pretty painful for the buttlickers. I can only guess, that for maximum pain, it had to happen in athens in front of as many dwags as possible. Or maybe, streaks have to go to the place of their birth to die.

I haven't been back to athens since 1978, and that is one streak that won't die.
Very well said.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
@redmule -only a Tech fan could relate what you have written and it is fitting that you posted it here on GT Swarm as there is a special group of Tech fans here.

Over the years it has not just been the loses, it has been how GT has lost.

Today, I hope, a new era has been born. One where UGAg does not always seem to win. One where Tech does not always seem to lose. A time where the football gods do not toy with our emotions as they seem to have these last few decades.

Maybe it is the whisky I have been drinking tonite. Maybe I will feel differently in the light of day.

Regardless, until proven otherwise, I will believe that today Justin Thomas, Harrison Butker, Zach Lasky, Synjyn Days and D.J. White & the young men wearing White & Gold under the direction of Paul Johnson and Ted Roof & company - they have provided us with the game that will be remembered as the corner that has been turned. Why? Because they never, never gave up. 18 seconds? No problem - just give them the ball and start the clock.

I know that GT will not win them all - it would take 24 straight victories just to even the series. What I am looking forward to is a future where each November the GT players will be mentally and emotionally ready to enter the fray as equals to their opponents from UGAg on the grid iron.

Today, I hope that we have witnessed the rebirth of the GT - UGAg rivalry - clean, old-fashioned hate.

Damn, I have had too much to drink.

Good night.

THWG!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was a freshman at the '78 game. The unbelievable pain & heartbreak forged my intense dislike of anything UGAg & that game is why I will never go back to the Cesspool.
Glorious, glorious day of days. We beat the damn mutts. #THWG

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow

I was there and saw our best player who was killing UGA get "hurt". Today Smelter gets tackled "twice" and is "hurt". Sanford Stadium is a dangerous place.