Thinking about new Head coach

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Fire Paul Johnson RIGHT Now and stop the bleeding.
Stop the bleeding Right now.
Make Roof interium.
Hire Freidgen or Goose as OC next year and lets get this ship turned the right direction.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The only way I can see firing Johnson is unless we can hire somebody to make us better and I don't see it. Atleast we are always in the mix for the coastal division, and usually beat the teams we're suppose to beat. We'll never be more talented than The U, Clemson, UGA, and VaTech. So I'd rather just lose to most of them than lose to most of them and a Duke, Unc, or marlyland.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Hope this is not a stupid question but i really don't know. Would jim mora ever leave UCLA to come back south?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This loss was not about scheme. This loss was entirely based on talent. You don't improve talent level at a school like ours by changing coaches every 5 year's. We've got a pretty darned good recruiting class coming in and unless there's a mass exodus in it, it might be prudent to let our coach build a program. Our talent level is at it's lowest since God knows when and we still consistently beat the teams we should and lose to teams which have increased their talent levels significantly in recent years (and VT).
Lot's of truth here...

I think our 1 - 85 talent is up, but the 1-12 talent is lower. Those top 10 - 15 players (play makers) make a big difference.

ToddM

At some point recruiting will suffer after a dismissal whenever it takes place. With that said CPJ did little to help his team Thursday. I felt he was bound and determine to run the ball regardless of what Clemson did. He showed extreme stubbornness in refusing to go to a intermediate passing game. The line is poor but a shotgun and short passes takes care of that.

Had CPJ stopped being so stubborn Clemson would have had to stay back, then the run could have worked.

I think CPJ is forcing it. I think he is like a golfer who swings harder to get to the green or a baseball player who thinks he is gonna end his slump by swinging harder.

If he relaxes and shows a willingness to change his game plan he can continue to help our program if he stays stubborn he will kill his tenure and our recruiting. So either way he has to change. Even the Alabama's and Georgia's have to make changes in game plans occasionally .

When I say change game plan I don't mean go to the diamond formation I mean putting 4 wide outs in and telling one of the best passing QBs in North Carolina, when he was recruited, to pass pass pass.

A stubborn mindset can kill any team, one full of 5 stars or one full of 2 stars

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
At some point recruiting will suffer after a dismissal whenever it takes place. With that said CPJ did little to help his team Thursday. I felt he was bound and determine to run the ball regardless of what Clemson did. He showed extreme stubbornness in refusing to go to a intermediate passing game. The line is poor but a shotgun and short passes takes care of that.

Had CPJ stopped being so stubborn Clemson would have had to stay back, then the run could have worked.

I think CPJ is forcing it. I think he is like a golfer who swings harder to get to the green or a baseball player who thinks he is gonna end his slump by swinging harder.

If he relaxes and shows a willingness to change his game plan he can continue to help our program if he stays stubborn he will kill his tenure and our recruiting. So either way he has to change. Even the Alabama's and Georgia's have to make changes in game plans occasionally .

When I say change game plan I don't mean go to the diamond formation I mean putting 4 wide outs in and telling one of the best passing QBs in North Carolina, when he was recruited, to pass pass pass.

A stubborn mindset can kill any team, one full of 5 stars or one full of 2 stars

You make some valid points. I was thinking about this last night when Duke beat Miami.

If you think about it, Coach Cutcliffe has coached both of the Manning brothers and is, by everyone's acknowledgement, an outstanding QB coach. I think you can safely say that his preference would be to use that knowledge and run his traditional pro-set style offense. However, this year he adapted and made the comment prior to the season that they were going to run more option because that's what the skill set of his QB was better suited for.

Obviously, teams don't always reap immediate benefits like Duke did this year, but I do think it speaks volumes that Cutcliffe wasn't going to be so stubborn as to insist that his system was "the system". Instead, he adjusted to the skillsets of his players. Sounds like good coaching to me.