Things just got weird...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Which is the weird part? That Pitt's biggest athletic donation ever is $20 million, or that they named the head coaching position? If I recall correctly, GT Athletics has set up endowments for some coaching positions, and is actively advertising for people to endow other coaching positions. (I looked it up and they are actively advertising for a $7.5 million football head coach endowment, which isn't enough to perpetually pay for the HC. http://atfund.gatech.edu/head-coaching-and-position-endowments)

I guess it will be weird if they try to get TV broadcasts to highlight the donor's name. If they only put that on the Pitt athletics boosters website, it won't be really different than what I have seen for athletes on the AT Fund or GT Athletics websites before. I have seen a list of athletes and the endowments that are designated as paying for their scholarships.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This isn’t a super common occurrence, but there are numerous schools who’s coaching positions are endowed, and therefore have been renamed “officially.” Of course these new names are never referenced outside of the schools webpages and maybe after the announcement of a new coaching hire. It’s not a big deal unless they start insisting every mention of the endowed coaching position includes the endowed name.
F9EEAA41-ACE2-4C5A-BE74-270DEC927ECC.png

7FEBEB81-0D97-493B-ADBC-41C0849C236A.png

B7B6BD4A-591B-4791-BD7C-671FD10C8B6B.png