They Have Real Playoff Experience

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fwiw I don't think d2 playoff experience is that big a deal in current system. Doesn't hurt...but the main thing is still this. Gotta go undefeated.

Fwiw I don't think d2 playoff experience is that big a deal in current system. Doesn't hurt...but the main thing is still this. Gotta go undefeated.
Well it is only to the extent of preparing for post season play. In the bowl scenario a team ends its season and then has several weeks to prepare for a known opponent, in a road game at a somewhat neutral site. In the playoff, you'd get one game on the road, if you win you have another one in 8 or 9 days against an opponent that has just been identified. In that regard FCS (or pro-playoff) experience would be useful.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps the advantage/edge a Coach, like Paul Johnson, who has been involved in playoff games in the past, is that he'll have a better feel (at least the first time a new coach gets into the playoffs) of how to manage the players' time, expectations, and health. He'll have a better understanding going in that there will be continued training, film studies, travel, and their team may get "anxious" as it may appear things get compressed into a shorter schedule because you get high profile games played back-to-back with (typically) no time off. He may also be better prepared for the press demands related to the playoffs because he'll already have canned answers to their dumbass questions...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I always thought our offense would be heck to deal in the playoffs since you have concentrate on one team at a time, which means teams really only have about 4 days worth of on the field practice to get the players use to speed of the scheme. I doubt a team in the SEC (not named UGA) is practicing for us during the fall camp. It's not a like a bowl game where you get all this extra time.

On the other hand, with only 4 spots for the playoffs, it's going to be difficult for us to get one of the spots (as well as other schools). Can't be difficult to deal with if you don't make the playoffs.