Theories on run defense and red zone defense

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing I had thought would happen in the Duke game was that we could be trading our touchdowns for their field goals. Except for Georgia Southern, we had played the run pretty well. We also had been good at stopping teams once they got to the 20. At Duke, we didn't stop the run and not coincidentally, we didn't keep them out of the end zone. Some ideas on why follow.

PJ Davis. Hate to think that a single player could make such a difference, but he is our leading tackler.

Gamble being sick. His name was practically never called Saturday. He usually makes a good share of run tackles, or so it seems to me.

Defense on the field too long. Our big play offense got the points, but our defense seemed to always be on the field. I remember seeing Cerg-Henderson being pushed out of the play like he was on roller skates. The guy is built like a bowling ball and I don't think I've ever seen that happen. I think he was too fatigued to play his usual game.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the game I agree with PJ. Too many gaps in the line. Too many 3rd downs where it was way too easy to get the 1st. Question is was it scheme or players getting beat, is not getting off the blocks?
Did not know Gamble was sick. That would explain a lot
Totally agree with your comment on the field too long. Told my better half a number of times we are scoring too fast. The D needed more time to recover and that will bite us in the 4th. Love that we scored but would of liked a death march or two eating up clock
I would add one more thing coverage of their tight ends was not existent and it was just not the difference in size. They were wide open too often