1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

The Wall

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by GTRambler, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

I’m in favor of subverting all federal funds to Mexico until its built. Let’s get er done. (y)

GT_05 likes this.
  2. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

The trade deficit with Mexico in December of 2017 was 3 million USD. In December of 2018 it was a 1.8 Billion surplus. The truth is Mexico has already paid for it. But Trump can’t spend money, that’s Congress’ job. So even if they cut us a check, he couldn’t build the wall without their approval.

3. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

As a reminder, in 2013, the Senate passed S.744, which was the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013. It was written by Chuck Schumer with several co-sponsors. It was to add tens of thousands of additional border agents and about 350 miles of a border wall (among other things). Or, as written, a single fence, double-fence, and triple-fence as needed depending on the location.

52 Democrats, 2 Independents, and 14 Republicans voted for the bill.
    Here is the roll call of the vote:
    https://www.senate.gov/legislative/...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00168

Note how many of the Senators who voted for (and against) this are still in the Senate, now pushing back against or pushing for essentially the same bill that they were on the other side of. Its almost just a re-hash or renewal of that bill that's being discussed. I think its appropriate and timely to point out the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle. Of course one excuse we can make is that another several years have passed and we still have the same problem, so we really need to pass this again. But other than that, its really just the same thing.

4. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

You mean aside from the video in the link I posted which clearly shows what is on the US side of the wall? Ill trust you more than the video though. Because you are clearly an expert on border security.

5. Whiskey_Clear

Answer the question if it’s so obvious. Link says Yuma area. What kind of area is this in? Desert wilderness on the US side or urban area?

Answer the question and stop running from it.

6. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Yuma is not a UVA drink. It’s a city in Arizona. You know the one between California & New Mexico. This isn’t a trick question.

7. Whiskey_Clear

I’m waiting for Mr. Enlightened to explain how impossible it would have been for these illegals to escape detention and why even if no wall was present.

8. grandpa jacket

grandpa jacket Helluva Engineer

Using that analogy i guess you could say gun control would be effective in lowering gun deaths in America. It would not stop them but, they would be fewer.

9. ramblinwreckguru

ramblinwreckguru Helluva Engineer

Main difference being that foreign nationals do not have a Constitutional right to be here while American Citizens have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms,

Whiskey_Clear and bwelbo like this.
  10. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

That is a totally valid point. Ramblin points out a big difference though - they don't have any right to be here, while gun ownership is a protected right.

But, continuing to your point, if there are reasonable methods we can come up with to reduce gun deaths and specifically mass killings and so on, I think almost everyone would be for it. So far though nobody's been able to think of any. Otherwise they would have already been implemented.

One of the big options for gun death reductions I've harped on a lot is if law enforcement just did their job. At nearly all the mass shootings, they could have been prevented had law enforcement just done their job (failed to execute background checks, failed to followup on leads/tips, failed to make arrests when illegal behavior happened, failed to track people on the terrorism watch list). If we are serious about reducing gun deaths, we have to hold people's feet to the fire to enforce all the laws we already have on the books which demonstrably would have prevented shootings.

I would also add that nearly all of the mass shootings were also done by people who had no father in the household. We have an epidemic of children being raised without a 2 parent home in this country over the last 50 years. Those people are 15x-20x more likely to commit murder, violence, get arrested, end up in prison, get addicted to drugs, and more. There's 2 ends to the problem, and if we want to be serious, we have to stop acting like marriage and families don't matter and that the government can raise children.

11. Whiskey_Clear

No, gun murders would likely go up as lawful citizens would be more defenseless against armed criminals. Nice try though.

If you are so worried about lives maybe go to Virginia and protest their governor who is championing infanticide. The improved 21st century version of abortion.

12. Whiskey_Clear

@WreckinGT

I know you are lurking on the lounge dude. Don’t be so shy and answer my questions here.

13. WreckinGT

I did answer your questions. You have yet to answer mine though.

14. Whiskey_Clear

Lololol. Okay keep running running and running running.....just like an illegal after crossing the Rio. (y)

15. WreckinGT

Well lord knows if I were delayed by a minute or two by a 50 billion dollar wall then I wouldn't have any chance of getting away.

16. Whiskey_Clear

And yet that’s exactly what happened. They were slowed down enough for authorities to apprehend a bunch of these guys.

Thanks for proving again that walls do actually work. And thank you for finally admitting the video gives no clear indication of how easily or quickly these illegals would be able to make an escape or disappear into either an urban or rural area. And better walls work even better.

Go watch some video of crossing into border cities and you will have an even better understanding of just how important time is in apprehending illegals crossing over.

17. ramblinwreckguru

ramblinwreckguru Helluva Engineer

Hopefully we'll put razor wire on top of the wall.

18. Whiskey_Clear

A series of sharp metal spikes angled down too. There are plenty of historical references of wall defenses that can be utilized in addition to available technologies.

19. WreckinGT

Let’s get back to my original question. In your opinion, if border patrol is watching a group of people cross the border live on camera in real time, do you personally think they will have no chance of apprehending the ones crossing? Do you think our border patrol is that bad at their jobs and that a 2 minute delay would change things completely. If so then you are a bigger moron than Trump.

20. WreckinGT

Is this a I hope you die comment? How rude.