The Varsity’s Future

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I heard from a superintendent who works for a general contractor who is currently working on campus that there is a sign on the door of the Varsity that alludes to it might be closing for good. It’s been closed due to the Corolla but I would think it’s a strong enough business to reopen. Granted, that’s some valuable property but closing down for good? Say it ain’t so.

maybe the sign was put up Wednesday April 1. IDK

I heard from a superintendent who works for a general contractor who is currently working on campus that there is a sign on the door of the Varsity that alludes to it might be closing for good. It’s been closed due to the Corolla but I would think it’s a strong enough business to reopen. Granted, that’s some valuable property but closing down for good? Say it ain’t so.

maybe the sign was put up Wednesday April 1. IDK
Makes no sense that they would close for good. I never go there anymore, but still, it's an Atlanta and Tech tradition.

I was in Smith dorm as a frosh.Who could forget the Greazy "V" runs (pun intended). I didn't go back either.
WOW, I was in Smith for 5 quarters, my first very forgettable one having been in Techwood (OUCH). I made those late night V runs for all 5 years I was at Tech, although not every night. I never go there anymore unless there is just nothing else available under the circumstances.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
WOW, I was in Smith for 5 quarters, my first very forgettable one having been in Techwood (OUCH). I made those late night V runs for all 5 years I was at Tech, although not every night. I never go there anymore unless there is just nothing else available under the circumstances.

I was in Smith my freshmen year! Fun times...actually probably some of the most fun times during my entire GT tenure. Oh man, the pranks we would all play on each other.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was in Smith my freshmen year! Fun times...actually probably some of the most fun times during my entire GT tenure. Oh man, the pranks we would all play on each other.

Dang, did they have dorms back then. Did you have a parking pass for your covered wagon too? :smuggrin:

I was in Towers for my FR year. I used to think the pranks were dumb. I was much, much more straight-laced back then. Late one night, some jackleg pulled all the fire alarms. Literally all of the dorms on the east side. Then streaked through the crowd. It was a cold, cold night for that young man.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't know the rules in Georgia, but in Maryland restaurants can offer take out or curbside pick up? It would seem to me that is exactly what the Varsity does.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here is what it shows on their website:

upload_2020-4-3_16-39-18.png

Dang, did they have dorms back then. Did you have a parking pass for your covered wagon too? :smuggrin:

I was in Towers for my FR year. I used to think the pranks were dumb. I was much, much more straight-laced back then. Late one night, some jackleg pulled all the fire alarms. Literally all of the dorms on the east side. Then streaked through the crowd. It was a cold, cold night for that young man.
The one quarter I was in Techwood, for some reason, my whacky roomie, whom I had never met before coming to Tech, tried to burn down the door to our room. Obviously, I spent the remainder of that quarter in a room to myself. I moved to Smith for winter quarter.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I was in Smith my freshman year. My roommate flunked out in two quarters. My new roommate for Spring quarter was a delivery guy for Pizza King, so he got in after I was asleep and was asleep until after I left. After about a week we were finally in the room awake at the same time. He told me that he quit heroin cold turkey during Spring break. After that I was somewhat concerned about going to sleep while he was still out and returning late night/early in the morning. He went home that weekend and didn't come back. His parents called mid-week and told me that he was "in the hospital". They came and got his stuff, so I spent the rest of the quarter without a roommate.

Back to Varsity, I make several late evening trips there for food that year. I go there before most of the football games to eat two chili slaw dogs and rings.

I was in Smith my freshman year. My roommate flunked out in two quarters. My new roommate for Spring quarter was a delivery guy for Pizza King, so he got in after I was asleep and was asleep until after I left. After about a week we were finally in the room awake at the same time. He told me that he quit heroin cold turkey during Spring break. After that I was somewhat concerned about going to sleep while he was still out and returning late night/early in the morning. He went home that weekend and didn't come back. His parents called mid-week and told me that he was "in the hospital". They came and got his stuff, so I spent the rest of the quarter without a roommate.

Back to Varsity, I make several late evening trips there for food that year. I go there before most of the football games to eat two chili slaw dogs and rings.
WOW on the story about your roommate. Did you ever hear anything more about him?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
WOW on the story about your roommate. Did you ever hear anything more about him?

The first roommate who flunked out was back the next fall after a couple of quarters. I never heard anything else about the second roommate. I assume he was in rehab and hope that went well. There was more to his story and the reason that he quit cold-turkey.

The first roommate who flunked out was back the next fall after a couple of quarters. I never heard anything else about the second roommate. I assume he was in rehab and hope that went well. There was more to his story and the reason that he quit cold-turkey.
That had to be one helluva year for you, not to mention, of course, him. Glad you made it through ok. Sure hope he did too with time.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That had to be one helluva year for you, not to mention, of course, him. Glad you made it through ok. Sure hope he did too with time.

This might not be the right thread to give my freshman year story, but.... I spent a week that Spring quarter in the hospital, two days in the ICU. Even with that and the drama with the roommate, I ended up with my best GPA in my time at Tech. There seemed to be something right after the other happening then.

The roommate told me that he quit cold-turkey because while on Spring Break with his sister, she ODed on heroin and barely survived. I should have talked to his parents and gotten contact info when they came to get his stuff, but being an 18 year old I didn't have a clue what to say or how to say it. I just boxed his stuff up before they came and helped them load it into their car when they got there.

This might not be the right thread to give my freshman year story, but.... I spent a week that Spring quarter in the hospital, two days in the ICU. Even with that and the drama with the roommate, I ended up with my best GPA in my time at Tech. There seemed to be something right after the other happening then.

The roommate told me that he quit cold-turkey because while on Spring Break with his sister, she ODed on heroin and barely survived. I should have talked to his parents and gotten contact info when they came to get his stuff, but being an 18 year old I didn't have a clue what to say or how to say it. I just boxed his stuff up before they came and helped them load it into their car when they got there.
WOW, you really did have a helluva year. Your not following through with his parents is probably typical of an 18 year old's reaction. I probably would have done the same. Thanks very much for sharing.