1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

The US Supreme Court Served Up A Major Defeat To Labor Unions

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by MikeJackets1967, Jun 27, 2018.

1. MikeJackets1967

MikeJackets1967 Helluva Engineer

Nick at Night has better ratings than CNN:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

OldJacketFan likes this.
  2. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Hmm...Fox fairly frequently cites retractions other news sources should or do make.

Is CNN to incompetent to do the same?

MikeJackets1967 likes this.
  3. MikeJackets1967

4. OldJacketFan

OldJacketFan Helluva Engineer

Don't know, don't care. It was having fun, give it a rest for gawd sakes.

5. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

It’s funny how the left wants to expand and contract these things only to their own benefit and cry loudest when used against them in turn. Those who complain about Garland can thank....Joe Biden lol.

6. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

(y)

MikeJackets1967 and OldJacketFan like this.
  7. MikeJackets1967

8. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

I’ve never understood how any court ESPECIALLY a liberal court could rule that you have to pay dues even if you aren’t a member. It antithetical to any concept of freedom.

9. OldJacketFan

The Court's rationale was a non member receives direct benefits from the union and collective bargaining conducted on behalf of its members. the Roberts court disagrees

10. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

Its not whining, its political theater. Democrats know this isn't happening so they are just using it to show how hypocritical McConnell is. Its a talking point for the campaign trail. If this got pushed to after the midterms, it would be worse for Democrats politically anyways.

11. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I get direct benefit from all kinds of things. It shouldn’t force me to give them money.

12. OldJacketFan

I didn't say it say it did now did I? ;) In actuality the Court was narrow in it's original ruling, had they so desired they could have declared any employee had to be a union member to receive the benefit of collective bargaining. When the majority of employees are union members why should the minority benefits from the collective bargaining financed by the union members?

13. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I get all kinds of benefits from different people and groups. That doesn’t mean I should be required to give them money. Same answer. We live in a litigious society - if I or others got paid a different salary for doing the same job, I’m sure they could sue successfully for that.

14. OldJacketFan

I get what you're saying. What I was addressing was the court's rationale in the original decision which, imo, was and is correct. I don't know what benefits you're referring to but are any being provided due to the organized efforts of others for the benefit of all? Not trying to be snarky just trying to understand your position.

15. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

Yeah I can see that and for the most part I guess it’s true but Union rules also prevent non members from being treated equally or fairly.

For example Unions place a great value on seniority rather than effort or quality. You can get stuck behind the old grumpy guy who has been around 31 years and doesn’t understand progressive change .

16. OldJacketFan

Understood, a weakness of union that is well recognized but that is outside the scope of the original decision ;) It is something that happens in non union work environments as well and almost as difficult to deal with.

17. MountainBuzzMan

MountainBuzzMan Helluva Engineer

The main reason it went down is the Unions went beyond what you are describing and became political activists using some of the dues money for those purposes. Why should you be forced to pay money to an organization that is being politically active apposed to your beliefs. Had they just been a union, they could have probably gotten away with taking non union employees money.

18. MikeJackets1967

19. OldJacketFan

And in my mind that is nothing but a smoke screen for the court to hide behind as evidence by Alito's writings;

"Under Illinois law, public employees are forced to subsidize a union, even if they choose not to join and strongly object to the positions the union takes in collective bargaining and related activities," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion. "We conclude that this arrangement violates the free speech rights of nonmembers by compelling them to subsidize private speech on matters of substantial public concern."

IMO that is such a stretch that Gumby would be proud of. I can guarantee you that members of the union aren't always 100% in line with their PAC either. Basically the court is saying you can get all the benefits of the union without any of the responsibilities that comes with being a member. One more assault on the American worker that we should get used to under this court. As to your comment about unions being politically active should this ruling apply to employees of non union entities who have PACs? After all Citizens United says Corporation are people entitled to free speech under the constitution.

20. TechnicalPossum

TechnicalPossum Helluva Engineer

Kennedy was nominated in November 1987 and confirmed in 1988 which was a presidential election year. Caveat was he was a replacement for Bork after the Senate failed to confirm him. So the slot opened in 1987, but was not filled until 1988. Closest I could find in recent history.

OldJacketFan likes this.