The Texas Job

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really hope Jimbo stays at FSU. The ACC needs a consistent power to compete with the SEC year and year out. I think Miami is going to get back to that level soon as well.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I just posted under another topic about the Texas opening. After watching the Louisville win, I now think maybe some of the experts may be right, as many of them think Charlie Strong is the number one candidate for the Texas job. They have a good point. You win championships with defense. He either understands the offensive side of the ball also, or he knows how to hire good offensive coordinators.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If O'Brien leaves Penn State for the NFL, Al Golden will go to Penn State. Miami will go after James Franklin and Vanderbilt will take the hottest coach from the FCS Division available. I don't know who that is. When Malzahn leaves Auburn for Texas, Auburn will go after Chad Morris. I just saw where ND has hired Van Gorder to be their defensive coordinator. Good move for them. He is as ******* but he knows how to motivate his players to play hard and kick some ***.

Go Jackets!

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
If no announcement is made soon after the Louisville victory, then we will probably have to wait for the Auburn/FSU game. Some of the analyst were predicting Strong as the eventual successor, but his bowl game is now behind us. I can see where they rate him highly, but I can also see Texas wanting one of the two contestants in the NC game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't see Strong to TX. Sadly, we have a good idea why SEC schools passed on him. Doubt the atmosphere among boosters and admins is any more progressive in Austin.

I agree with those who say they're waiting on the FSU-AUB game to target their pick.

JBR, I wouldn't say Duke, UNC, or Pitt are considered "improving". Duke had a flash in the pan year. We'll always be better than UNC and Pitt is a meh team.

Miami can't afford to keep Golden from taking the PennSt gig if it comes to that, nor can they afford to pull Franklin from Vandy. They'll be starting over with an assistant from somewhere. I could see Mr. Overrated (Chad Morris, JMHO) end up there.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think Strong is staying at Louisville, the guy makes a huge amount of cash as it is, and the program is rising. The Louisville crowd is fanatical and will throw a good amount of money to keep him.

I think the more likely outcome if O'brian goes to NFL, is Golden to Penn ST, Franklin to Miami and honestly I think TX will go with an older proven head coach.

I think they will try Fisher from FSU, i'm not sure he will go to Texas, and they might go for Richt out of UGA or even Miles from LSU.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think Richt is at Georgia until they fire him. With the level he recruits (perennially Top 10 recruiting classes), and the results he put on the field, I don't think any big-time school (i.e. Texas) will want him. He's had too many "bad" losses. Despite some good seasons, he's only been in 3 BCS bowls since he started, with the last in 2007. In 13 years, he's had 8 10-win seasons, while playing in a weak SEC-East conference.

All this being said, I'd take 8/13 seasons with 10 wins and 3 BCS bowls for us (especially the 12-1 record against my in-state rival), but I don't think the Texas people are going to come calling. I also don't think there's a bigger name out there to pull him from UGA (except maybe FSU now that Jimbo has them back squarely in the MNC picture).

I think Strong is staying at Louisville, the guy makes a huge amount of cash as it is, and the program is rising. The Louisville crowd is fanatical and will throw a good amount of money to keep him.

I think the more likely outcome if O'brian goes to NFL, is Golden to Penn ST, Franklin to Miami and honestly I think TX will go with an older proven head coach.

I think they will try Fisher from FSU, i'm not sure he will go to Texas, and they might go for Richt out of UGA or even Miles from LSU.
Richt is a Miami guy, not an FSU guy. But, that said, maybe he knows too much about Miami to go there.