The Temple Skinny

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info.
If u have 18 Rhule starters - how many upper classmen do u have ?
Really wanted to travel to see game and city.
Not sure how many redshirted, but in
2014 they had 29 commits
2015 they had 20
2016 they had 25

That is a set up to be pretty top heavy. Their roster lists 50 JR/SR, but I am not sure how many of those are walk ons.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how many redshirted, but in
2014 they had 29 commits
2015 they had 20
2016 they had 25

That is a set up to be pretty top heavy. Their roster lists 50 JR/SR, but I am not sure how many of those are walk ons.
Ibe , thanks .

Our lads says Temple starting 22 has 3 sophomores freshmen and 7 sr. So they have 12 jr. Pretty balanced . Upper class men 19
We have 10 sophmores freshmen and 6 sr. 6 jr . We are younger w 12 upper classmen

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
fwiw, ESPN's FPI puts us at 32.4 percent chance of winning this game.
It is our highest win probability of any of the remaining games.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Some random thoughts:
  • I think Temple is the only other FBS school that plays in an on-campus home stadium in the heart of a major city. Edit: Oops, not sure this is true anymore since they play at Lincoln.
  • CGC has also been a head coach for all of 2 full years and 3 games; he might get outcoached by some wiley vets like Cutcliffe. Please don't start with the "We're not paying him millions to learn on the job." Every young coach makes mistakes, just learn and move on. Full disclosure: I ranted about Lincoln Riley's poor performance after the playoff loss to UGA (it really was his fault) on a Sooners board citing his inexperience as a head coach. I repented immediately afterward and re-hung his Fathead poster on my wall.
  • Our running and passing game are not in great shape. I am scratching my head at some of the play design. There was a post elsewhere about this, but since Patenoob is the QB coach, I also wonder if it might be better if he were on the ground and able to look Johnson/Oliver/Graham in the eye and make corrections.
  • We can and should beat Temple. They may be more motivated to beat us, though.

Man, I'd love to hear this post unpacked.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Not taking a delay of game is not mismanagement, imo. A debatable subject? Sure. I'm of the belief punters actually know how to use their legs and adjust. Harvin has shown he can do this. Just my 2 cents.

I lean toward going for it vs. Clemson, but that's so low on the list of decisions I care about regardless of how the season has gone.
I really don’t know why people are fixated on the Clemp game. The ONLY negative coming out of that game was the fact we had no intention of running the new offense and that to me was just a disappointment. This was just a matter of being overhyped all off-season about we were going to run some pro-style offense and we ran some of what we could. Plus you got MAYBE the platooning QB deal, but it was game 1 and the new staff possible didn’t know what it had yet I guess.

The game mismanagement to me comes down to if you’re going to run what you’ve got until you got the players in place you don’t run the offense like we’ve had, you know the rules and exercise good clock management & the lower end of the scale is small adjustments like providing the punter a better chance at getting the ball downed inside the 10 instead of a touchback.

People are pointing at singular items and trying to drive an assessment. I think if you look at the whole you come to a much different conclusion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was concerned about his recruiting, mostly because of the staff he hired which was mostly southern centric. At Temple we mostly get 2nd tier recruits so you really have to be embedded in the area to get the sleepers and hold on to P5 starters.

I think he will be much more successful at Tech because he seems to be where he wants to be.

I gave him a B+ as a HC. He won more than he lost and we went to two Bowls. He had some head scratching losses too. Imagine the Citadel being your bitter city rival and winning NCAA basketball championships and then coming in w an FCS team and beating you too! That’s how angry we were losing to Villanova.

The question is, did Collins win w previous coach players and grab the money when he had the chance or is he a good coach climbing the ladder? I’m trying to be objective, I believe Saturday temple will take the field w an edge in personnel so if you win, GC coached them up to do so.
MH,
First thanks for offering more candid thoughts. I hope u are right about cgc ultimately being successful at gt. I think he came here because he wanted to coach here. He has more energy than the battery bunny.

Can u speak to the following

At temple did cgc "" process"" any players to the point " the transfered?

How bout they just graduated and left the team w 1 to 2 years eligibility ? ( see below)

This year @ tech under cgc we have a bunch of rs srs which at this time indicates the players want to play for him. Did cgc have r shrit sr on team at temple?

Graduation attrition
In last 5 years we have had close to 2 upper classmen level players just leave w eligibility remaining and we have had few r shirt srs. 2014 orange bowl we were loaded!

This year - just as cgc was hired and before the hiring of temple staff was announced - our sr left guard took graduation (in 3 years while playing every dowm!) and went to play at u of texas.! Now thats proof we have good tutoring or the guy is a genius!

Over 4 previous years with this graduation attrition plus other medical etc issues, we average 10 players leaving the per year.

Does temple lose 10 per year? How many?

MH55

Banned
I dont recall Collins style or strategy chasing off any impact players before they used up their eligibility. Im closer to the Program than the average fan and I never heard anything that I would consider a substantive complaint about his style. Certainly you hear a bit but thats with any coach. Actually, would have to say I heard less about Collins after he departed.

The fans were generally perturbed/disapointed when he left. They felt used but thats life as a G5.

Getting back to recruiting, I was disappointed in the transition year. For instance, Rhule left and went to Baylor. He then signed 22 players. Collins brought 5. I would have hoped his staff would have been able to lure more players. 2 of them have already left the Program to FCS Schools so they werent even FBS level talent.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
First, for those considering coming, Philadelphians dont eat Cheez Whiz. Only ex and future cons do. Theres any number of places to do it other than Pats or Genos but thats what tourists do. If you are pressed for time and stil want to try the CS experience, may I suggest considering Tony Luke's, Front & Oregon. Its less than 2 miles from the stadium and you could bring it to your tailgate and it would still be warm. They are really known for their roast pork sandwich definitely buy one of those and sample (w provolone and broccoli rabe.)

I am a southerner, so I don’t know that I have a right to disagree with you, but I will anyway. I always used to eat my cheesesteaks with provolone instead of “wit wiz.” Even though I heard wiz is the official way to order, I generally think cheese wiz is gross and refused to do it. .....until I finally tried it once. I went to Tony Luke’s twice with provolone and thought it was fine. Tried it the third time with wiz and it was a total game changer. Gross on a cracker, but unbelievably good on a cheesesteak. I guess they do know what they are doing!

MH55

Banned
To each his own....lol but next time, try Tonys' roast pork. Actually, I get one at least once a season, since the Owls, Eagles, Sixers, Phillies and Flyers all play in the complex, Im good for a bout 5 a year.

Xfinity Live is also a complex of about 5 bars within 5 min walk of the Linc. If your tailgate supply limited or want to check out a pre or post game, its a sports bar/restaurant complex on site.

https://www.xfinitylive.com/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
MH
I looked at your team's depth chart - in particular the 4 soph and freshmen in the 2 deep at tackle.
They were obviously recruited by cgc and them starting and being back ups says they are better than what rhule had??? (They are 6'8" down to 6'5" !! That's what he s tring to bring to gt= L O N G ) ARE THEY PLAYING WELL or R they having issuses typical for underclassman.

MH55

Banned
Isaac Moore from Sweden was recruited last year and has started since. The backups have hardly played going into this season. Our two guards have played well since Collins inserted them in the lineup.

The most visible Collins recruits seeing playing time are DT Ifanyi Maijeh and RB Ramahn Davis. TE Robinson is a collins get.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@MH55, how different are your offensive and defensive schemes this year, compared to what Temple ran last year? Has it been an easy adjustment? Where do you think the new staff/current team are still getting their sea legs? How would you attack your O and D? Thanks!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Isaac Moore from Sweden was recruited last year and has started since. The backups have hardly played going into this season. Our two guards have played well since Collins inserted them in the lineup.

The most visible Collins recruits seeing playing time are DT Ifanyi Maijeh and RB Ramahn Davis. TE Robinson is a collins get.
As a follow up - i am a long time baylor fan who has son that teaches thsre. . As i understand Rhules old offense at temple was more of heavy run and totally different from the baylor heavy pass never 2 rb. His first year he went w run qb and they only won 1 of 11. Next year he went to a more baylor like offense and won 4 conference games. He is doing great against the crummy teams 6-0 & this weeked he 3-0 plays iowa state. We baylor fans like him and will put up w slow growth. Did u like him as an in game tactician? My son is not impressed- its all about the game plan.

MH55

Banned
Temples offense reduced the read option significantly. Principally because our current QB isn’t much of a threat to run for yardage. We have a short yardage package where the win is under center. Defensively, quite similar to Collins old system. 4-3 w quite a bit of responsibility on LBs to be active, read and respond. Our secondary is new so that’s where GT should attack.

Traditionally we have trouble w mobile QBs who regularly run but can throw accurately. I didn’t see that in the 2 games I watched your signal callers.

Temple Tuff is a slogan coaches have used to describe the kind of players we wanted. Basically it’s a call to players who might be a step slow or inch short but have the moxy, character and toughness to play at this level. Rhule used it successfully to run the ball Hainst weaker opponents. With Collins we got away from that kind of offense and so far, we are running out of a pistol set under new coach Carey except for short yardage. A little odd in that our QB is never going break off 15 yd runs unless the D totally breaks down. You didn’t hear that from me though.

Our QB has a nice arm but has been a bit inaccurate thus far. I’m hoping he is a legit pro prospect. Since he came on in game 4-5 he hasn’t played a full season yet.