The Temple Skinny

MH55

Banned
Hey, thanks for wishing me a Happy BDay, Swarm Community ! Its my 55th so factor that into any entertainment/dining info you might want to know.

First, for those considering coming, Philadelphians dont eat Cheez Whiz. Only ex and future cons do. Theres any number of places to do it other than Pats or Genos but thats what tourists do. If you are pressed for time and stil want to try the CS experience, may I suggest considering Tony Luke's, Front & Oregon. Its less than 2 miles from the stadium and you could bring it to your tailgate and it would still be warm. They are really known for their roast pork sandwich definitely buy one of those and sample (w provolone and broccoli rabe.)

In terms of tix, we really struggle w attendance issues. We'll be in the neighborhood of 20K for this one, in a 66K stadium. You can walk up and get good seats. If you dont want to wait in line, use the online market but dont pay anymore than $20-25 for a good seat. Sec 101, is Tech side.You should be able to move to a better location easily

Read a couple misconceptions about the roster regarding what Collins left us. Currently 18 of the 22 starters were NOT Collins recruits. They are mostly all Matt Rhule recruits. Of the 4, a guard and tackle are GC, a DT and a CB. The bad news is the Tackle was recruited by a coach not on your staff from Sweden and the DT was the same, a player out of Brooklyn. He is Ifeanyi Maijeh and has played well, taking reps away from one of our most prized recruits. Spot TB Ra'mahn Davis is a freshman runner who looks good.

Our front 7 is good which should spell trouble for your tattered OL. Our LBs are all seniors and our strong suit. The best of which, Shaun Bradley, was tossed in the 1st half yesterday by the enigma of targetting. I dont think we are as good and lucky as we were against Maryland and or as bad as we were versus Buffalo yesterday.

If you really want to get frisky on your visit, the Phillies play the Marlins across the street at 6PM. Snoop Dogg is in town too with a show across the river in NJ at 5. That said, Im waiting on the line because I have my mind on my money and my money on my mind. I expect Temple to win and cover unless Ga Tech can move the ball consistently through the air. I watched the whole USF game and I am confident we are much better opponent.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What is you opinion on Collins. Do you wish he would have stayed? Do you think he is a good recruiter?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Hey, thanks for wishing me a Happy BDay, Swarm Community ! Its my 55th so factor that into any entertainment/dining info you might want to know.

First, for those considering coming, Philadelphians dont eat Cheez Whiz. Only ex and future cons do. Theres any number of places to do it other than Pats or Genos but thats what tourists do. If you are pressed for time and stil want to try the CS experience, may I suggest considering Tony Luke's, Front & Oregon. Its less than 2 miles from the stadium and you could bring it to your tailgate and it would still be warm. They are really known for their roast pork sandwich definitely buy one of those and sample (w provolone and broccoli rabe.)

In terms of tix, we really struggle w attendance issues. We'll be in the neighborhood of 20K for this one, in a 66K stadium. You can walk up and get good seats. If you dont want to wait in line, use the online market but dont pay anymore than $20-25 for a good seat. Sec 101, is Tech side.You should be able to move to a better location easily

Read a couple misconceptions about the roster regarding what Collins left us. Currently 18 of the 22 starters were NOT Collins recruits. They are mostly all Matt Rhule recruits. Of the 4, a guard and tackle are GC, a DT and a CB. The bad news is the Tackle was recruited by a coach not on your staff from Sweden and the DT was the same, a player out of Brooklyn. He is Ifeanyi Maijeh and has played well, taking reps away from one of our most prized recruits. Spot TB Ra'mahn Davis is a freshman runner who looks good.

Our front 7 is good which should spell trouble for your tattered OL. Our LBs are all seniors and our strong suit. The best of which, Shaun Bradley, was tossed in the 1st half yesterday by the enigma of targetting. I dont think we are as good and lucky as we were against Maryland and or as bad as we were versus Buffalo yesterday.

If you really want to get frisky on your visit, the Phillies play the Marlins across the street at 6PM. Snoop Dogg is in town too with a show across the river in NJ at 5. That said, Im waiting on the line because I have my mind on my money and my money on my mind. I expect Temple to win and cover unless Ga Tech can move the ball consistently through the air. I watched the whole USF game and I am confident we are much better opponent.

Soooo, does that suggest that LJ gets most of the QB reps again this week ?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Happy Bday. Even though you are the grim reaper of prognosticating our staff....successfully thus far.

MH55

Banned
I was concerned about his recruiting, mostly because of the staff he hired which was mostly southern centric. At Temple we mostly get 2nd tier recruits so you really have to be embedded in the area to get the sleepers and hold on to P5 starters.

I think he will be much more successful at Tech because he seems to be where he wants to be.

I gave him a B+ as a HC. He won more than he lost and we went to two Bowls. He had some head scratching losses too. Imagine the Citadel being your bitter city rival and winning NCAA basketball championships and then coming in w an FCS team and beating you too! That’s how angry we were losing to Villanova.

The question is, did Collins win w previous coach players and grab the money when he had the chance or is he a good coach climbing the ladder? I’m trying to be objective, I believe Saturday temple will take the field w an edge in personnel so if you win, GC coached them up to do so.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I was concerned about his recruiting, mostly because of the staff he hired which was mostly southern centric. At Temple we mostly get 2nd tier recruits so you really have to be embedded in the area to get the sleepers and hold on to P5 starters.

I think he will be much more successful at Tech because he seems to be where he wants to be.

I gave him a B+ as a HC. He won more than he lost and we went to two Bowls. He had some head scratching losses too. Imagine the Citadel being your bitter city rival and winning NCAA basketball championships and then coming in w an FCS team and beating you too! That’s how angry we were losing to Villanova.

The question is, did Collins win w previous coach players and grab the money when he had the chance or is he a good coach climbing the ladder? I’m trying to be objective, I believe Saturday temple will take the field w an edge in personnel so if you win, GC coached them up to do so.
Stop and think about it. Losing to Villanova sucks, but going 7-1 in your conference is much more significant in the big picture. The AAC is highly competitive week in and week out. Just look at that Houston/Tulane game.

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan

Imagine losing to an FCS team that employed the same exact offense as the coach who was here 11 years. Our defense personnel made comments about having to practice against it all those years during the spring and summer. Little good it did.....42 minutes of possession time and 350 ground yards for Citadel.

Imagine losing to an FCS team that employed the same exact offense as the coach who was here 11 years. Our defense personnel made comments about having to practice against it all those years during the spring and summer. Little good it did.....42 minutes of possession time and 350 ground yards for Citadel.

What happened last week was first, we had no offense because we seem to refuse to play the best players, T Oliver and not run the ball at least 20 times with Mason. Second the seeming disdain our current coaching staff has with the former offense caused our team to not take the Citadel serious and therefore were not prepared. By the third quarter our defense was gassed.....as many teams that faced us for 11 years, and Citadel began to pick up big chunk yardage. Add that to bad clock management and there you go.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Would y'all like this offensive coordinator back ? I call the moving van if you do.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
@MH55
I've been to Philly a couple of times (loved Reading Terminal Market) and I know it is a pro sports town, much more so than the ATL, even there are just about the same number of pro franchises.
So where does Temple football rank in the landscape of sports media attention in Philly?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Some random thoughts:
  • I think Temple is the only other FBS school that plays in an on-campus home stadium in the heart of a major city. Edit: Oops, not sure this is true anymore since they play at Lincoln.
  • CGC has also been a head coach for all of 2 full years and 3 games; he might get outcoached by some wiley vets like Cutcliffe. Please don't start with the "We're not paying him millions to learn on the job." Every young coach makes mistakes, just learn and move on. Full disclosure: I ranted about Lincoln Riley's poor performance after the playoff loss to UGA (it really was his fault) on a Sooners board citing his inexperience as a head coach. I repented immediately afterward and re-hung his Fathead poster on my wall.
  • Our running and passing game are not in great shape. I am scratching my head at some of the play design. There was a post elsewhere about this, but since Patenoob is the QB coach, I also wonder if it might be better if he were on the ground and able to look Johnson/Oliver/Graham in the eye and make corrections.
  • We can and should beat Temple. They may be more motivated to beat us, though.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Some random thoughts:
  • I think Temple is the only other FBS school that plays in an on-campus home stadium in the heart of a major city. Edit: Oops, not sure this is true anymore since they play at Lincoln.

Minnesota, Georgia State, Rice, Texas, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, Tulane?

slugboy

Staff member

Georgia State plays at Turner Field; doesn’t seem like “on campus” to me. If it is, it’s on campus by a technicality.

Vandy sure seems like it is, from the time I was there.

I don’t know about the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the info.
If u have 18 Rhule starters - how many upper classmen do u have ?
Really wanted to travel to see game and city.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

I really can't remember what the qualifier was. I know it was on-campus and it had to be in a major metropolitan city. It was one of those Aflac Trivia question thingies a long time ago. Maybe it was a stadium located in downtown? In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have even said anything without knowing the facts ... but that's never stopped most of us before. :D

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some random thoughts:
  • CGC has also been a head coach for all of 2 full years and 3 games; he might get outcoached by some wiley vets like Cutcliffe. Please don't start with the "We're not paying him millions to learn on the job." Every young coach makes mistakes, just learn and move on. Full disclosure: I ranted about Lincoln Riley's poor performance after the playoff loss to UGA (it really was his fault) on a Sooners board citing his inexperience as a head coach. I repented immediately afterward and re-hung his Fathead poster on my wall.
  • Our running and passing game are not in great shape. I am scratching my head at some of the play design. There was a post elsewhere about this, but since Patenoob is the QB coach, I also wonder if it might be better if he were on the ground and able to look Johnson/Oliver/Graham in the eye and make corrections.
  • We can and should beat Temple. They may be more motivated to beat us, though.

Not many coaches out there can out coach Cutcliff with XsOs. Every coach has ups n downs. CGC will also. He just can’t afford a bunch of big snafus like the clock management moment. That was all on him. Live and learn.