Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 7, 8, and 9

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
MJ should have pitched as soon as he hit the 30 yard line in 8.

I think play #9 is the play that everyone remembers when they think about his passing ability - it was early on in his first start, first pass where he set his feet and threw in that game IIRC. Used to see JT with some sloppy passes early in games in 2014 too, I think it's a jitters thing.

Deleted member 2897

First play: Large numbers of missed blocks. I don't see missed assignments, just gobs of missed blocks.
Second play: Missed read on the pitch.
Third play: I don't know if that was truly a bad pass, or if he was throwing it away. I don't really see room to get a pass in there.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The pass play looked like he was throwing it away. 2 guys there to cover Qua and it was 5 ft above his head. No chance in that pass getting completed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
play 7: Nobody on the entire left side of the LOS (Aback, LT, LG) blocked anybody.
play 8: MJ makes one good read, then one horrible one. He keeps on the dive key - good, he keeps on the pitch key - bad, very bad. It looks like a huge gain is set up for the pitch.
play 9: I think MJ was just throwing that one away, at least I hope so. What he should have done is pull it down and scramble to his left. There was a huge hole and he had a ton of green over there.

The best part about MJ, imo, is he's a smart guy. He has experience and all these mistakes makes him a better player because he can learn from them. That is why CPJ is alway gonna favor the guy with experience assuming all else is equal.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
play 7: Nobody on the entire left side of the LOS (Aback, LT, LG) blocked anybody.
play 8: MJ makes one good read, then one horrible one. He keeps on the dive key - good, he keeps on the pitch key - bad, very bad. It looks like a huge gain is set up for the pitch.
play 9: I think MJ was just throwing that one away, at least I hope so. What he should have done is pull it down and scramble to his left. There was a huge hole and he had a ton of green over there.

The best part about MJ, imo, is he's a smart guy. He has experience and all these mistakes makes him a better player because he can learn from them. That is why CPJ is alway gonna favor the guy with experience assuming all else is equal.
One huge error of omission on my part in my post was on play 7, MJ does an amazing job evoiding the sack and getting the ball thrown away. Erased a 10 yard loss.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
So far we've seen 9 plays in a series and it's easy to see a lot of bad execution against VPISU last year, and yet we moved the ball pretty well and won the game.

/
Defense played great and the fumble recovery on the opening kickoff helped a lot. It was a perfect storm. Not saying MJ didn't play well because he did everything that was asked of him. We started clicking in the 2nd qtr offensively once MJ settled down and CTR seemed to let the D "play" and it payed off.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
7. The receiver was open if MJ threw on time.
8. Pitch the ball
9. High & out of bounds inaccurate pass.

I'm sure they're better series, but this wasn't one of them

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So far we've seen 9 plays in a series and it's easy to see a lot of bad execution against VPISU last year, and yet we moved the ball pretty well and won the game.

/
Yes, we were hampered in this game but it seems to me as though Virginia Tech was just flat. Hard to believe, they would ever be less than totally focused against us (as they just about always seem to be) but this game was not one of their better efforts not to disparage the really tremendous performance by MJ and the Jackets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, we were hampered in this game but it seems to me as though Virginia Tech was just flat. Hard to believe, they would ever be less than totally focused against us (as they just about always seem to be) but this game was not one of their better efforts not to disparage the really tremendous performance by MJ and the Jackets.
I think they relaxed and lost their edge when they learned we'd without our 3 most crucial players on offence (C, QB, BB).