Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 5 and 6

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh man play 5 coulda been 6! OLB pitch key and everyone else was setting up their blocks perfectly. FS probably would've had to take a perfect angle and still probably gets beat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It looks like play 5 might have been 3opt, but Mills clamped down and didn't let MJ keep it.

I don't know what play 6 was. The QB looks like he's reading, and Bback is going right up the middle which looks like midline, but everybody's blocked.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Play 6 is broken by number 60 and 98 winning their battles.

I say it is a triple option with a reverse assignment for the OT Lee (safety versus MLB) and the ABack Ike (MLB versus safety). The DE and the OLB go outside keying in on Lee going outside as if it is a rocket toss. Both going outside is a give to the BBack read and MJ almost gives, but he see 60 right on the BBack. The DT won their battles not to mention we ran into the D's strong side.

Might should have checked at the line to the other side?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Mills was out for the VT game. Looks like MJ was told to hold onto the ball and get yards; he does a good job.

Not so good on the read in 5.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh man play 5 coulda been 6! OLB pitch key and everyone else was setting up their blocks perfectly. FS probably would've had to take a perfect angle and still probably gets beat.
I dunno, there's still a safety running free on the play. VT has what looks like a 3 safety alignment because the MLB is soooo deep. We have two guys block the backside OLB, somebody had to have muffed his assignment. If one of those guys goes after the backside safety, we have man on man in a pitch situation. We still have to make all the blocks to score, but in this offense just getting in the way for a second on downfield blocks can be just as effective as a pancake.