Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 3 and 4

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Play #2:

Good display of MJ's short area quickness as he splits two defenders. He's not a burner like JeT, but he's quick enough to get by the initial defender and give himself a chance on the next level.

Also displays MJ's hesitancy in pitching. Ike picked up the DB, and the pitch defender turned inside towards MJ as MJ feinted to the inside leaving Searcy LOTs of room to run had MJ pitched it. I vaguely remember CPJ saying that he told MJ keep the ball if he wasn't 100% sure on option reads this game, so that could have been a factor.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Play #2:

Good display of MJ's short area quickness as he splits two defenders. He's not a burner like JeT, but he's quick enough to get by the initial defender and give himself a chance on the next level.

Also displays MJ's hesitancy in pitching. Ike picked up the DB, and the pitch defender turned inside towards MJ as MJ feinted to the inside leaving Searcy LOTs of room to run had MJ pitched it. I vaguely remember CPJ saying that he told MJ keep the ball if he wasn't 100% sure on option reads this game, so that could have been a factor.
It was 4th down. Get the two yards.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind the angle of the camera can trick you on distance the defender is splitting the QB and the pitch target. They show a lot of these plays from the back and what looked like a pitch from this angle is not a pitch from the other. Also first down was open and a priority.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On 2
No one picks up the blitz run side safety who luckily goes after mills and not qb.
Poor mills as he is hit by 98 who shot the gap and got over parkers cut block.
"With all that mills got a yard"

The guy getting grocery carted by cooper is a freshman. Got to love how cooper legally grabs the guy while blocking but releases to avoid the call. Cooper seems to have very good leg drive

Vt played lots of young dl. For our ol this will be a great match up in 17.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
24 is a LB that makes a cross charge and is being optioned off. MJ sees him take Mills and pulls the ball.
Imo The play looks like run right all the way. I think he thought rg would cut off the cross charge.
Anyway we run right and with this blitzer gone we make 5 yds while making almost no blocking contact on right side of ol.

Let's hear it for a qb that can make some tough yds once he heads up field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Imo The play looks like run right all the way. I think he thought rg would cut off the cross charge.
Anyway we run right and with this blitzer gone we make 5 yds while making almost no blocking contact on right side of ol.

Let's hear it for a qb that can make some tough yds once he heads up field.

It's always tough to know exact call, but in form and blocking it looks like a triple option.

The cross charging lb is the dive key, keep, and the DE is the pitch key also keep.

If we had blocked the MLB 54, it would've been a bigger gain.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's always tough to know exact call, but in form and blocking it looks like a triple option.

The cross charging lb is the dive key, keep, and the DE is the pitch key also keep.

If it was TO then great read by qb.!
By way 54 is a freshmen - about the size of PJ davis.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the guy getting grocery carted was Woody Baron, who graduated.

In 2, does anyone know what the proper footwork is post-read? MJ duck-steps at a 45 degree angle, and I remember JT doing the same thing. It looks like a false step, but maybe it's useful to clear from the mesh.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
6 moving before the ball snapped changes everything, the RG prob should have tried to go upfield and block 6. No way he is getting 54 after chipping the nose w the stunt VT was doing. In a perfect world, the tackle blocks 54 and the RG cuts 6. 6 kinda was lost. VT stunted to our advantage more than once in this game. VT killed themselves trying to out think our O. There was a advantage on the edge. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we pitched... We basically manhandled their front 7 the entire game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
6 moving before the ball snapped changes everything, the RG prob should have tried to go upfield and block 6. No way he is getting 54 after chipping the nose w the stunt VT was doing. In a perfect world, the tackle blocks 54 and the RG cuts 6. 6 kinda was lost. VT stunted to our advantage more than once in this game. VT killed themselves trying to out think our O. There was a advantage on the edge. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we pitched... We basically manhandled their front 7 the entire game.

Tough block for Will - lb moving 6 yds down field -only got to get a piece if we go outside.

I guess they had it planed that 6 rolls over with motion ab and other lb shoots the gap. I guess if we ran left would 6 have blitzed as other lb rolled over top??

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Eggsackley. Even a brush on 54 and play #2 would have gone 20. Matthew read it right and was headed for the hole when he saw 54 and had to take a sidestep to avoid him. Result = 54 gets a piece of him and 6 (the other LB who was faked out of his shoes on the play) had time to recover and make the stop.

Expect to see a lot of plays like these two next year, if Matthew recovers. This is Will Worth football.