Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 22

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This one ends in a TD! There are lots of plays in a game that go wrong. There were more right than not in this game.

30 points with three TDs and 3 field goals. (I did skip a series at it was bad and had some very low lights)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
How did we win this game? Maybe it's selective memory on my part but it feels like every play @Longestday posts is a bit of a cluster.

We won this game because we were focused, our line blocked like crazy, and we got an outstanding effort from MJ and the Bbacks. On the other hand, Virginia Tech was flat and not as up for this game as they usually are. A typical example of why Coach Johnson and Georgia Tech are probably not on everyone's favorite team to play especially late in the year and most especially when your team has a high ranking and is in the running for a major bowl. Playing a triple option team hitting on all cylinders is just not recommended for defensive coordinators peace of mind.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
#60 was a beast!!! I thought Shamire just fell on his own, but it appears just enough of his arm/leg to trip him and disrupt the play after being blocked pretty well. Great effort play

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
#60 was a beast!!! I thought Shamire just fell on his own, but it appears just enough of his arm/leg to trip him and disrupt the play after being blocked pretty well. Great effort play

Is that legal to trip a player running past you?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
MJ bobbled the snap, didn't get deep enough and got Shamire's way. Shamire was slow off the snap but if he had been quick, he'd have flattened MJ.

This play fail wasn't all on SD, but it demonstrates our need for quick and nimble guards (and smooth exchanges, duh).

Deleted member 2897

This play might have been a TD if the pulling lineman didn't trip. There was a 2 on 1 setting up in the alley.

/

Shamire didn't trip - the defensive lineman reached out to hold Shamire, and when he couldn't hang on, he grabbed his feet as he went by.

Shamire did a great job to get right back up and still almost made the block.

There is a lot that looks like it went wrong on first blush, but if Shamire doesn't get tripped and instead blocks his man, that one difference would have let this play go a pretty good distance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The bobbled snap threw off the timing on the play sequence and Shamire pulling. It's obvious Shamire has to hesitate because MJ is trying to recover from the bad handling of the snap. Pretty sure last thing Shamire was thinking about was his QB in his path to pull. That slight pause give the DL time to reach out and trip SD.

Shamire got up and tried to recover.

Good illustration of how much timing and precision goes into each play.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of why Shamire went down (and I agree it wasn't his fault), had he been able to make his block, the play makes some major yardage. Just goes to show how this offense doesn't have to be perfect to make big plays.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of why Shamire went down (and I agree it wasn't his fault), had he been able to make his block, the play makes some major yardage. Just goes to show how this offense doesn't have to be perfect to make big plays.

Well, one of the major advantages to using the triple option (in this particular case the wishbone) that was pointed out by Emory Bellard, Bear Bryant, and Daryl Royal among others is that every assignment does not have to carried out to perfection to have a big play. The coaches of that era liked the idea of being able to get yardage without the blocking having to be perfect AND compared to a pro style offense the quarterback does not have to make as many reads on passing plays. Bryant was especially intrigued by the quick hitting action of the full back being close to the line of scrimmage which would put pressure on defensive linemen and linebackers to move quickly. One false step and the back is by you in a blink regardless of how good the block was going to be.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I give a compliement to VT 97 on his hustle - blocked well by our center then hit by our bb , but fought on and made play on cut back. Hope to see this from Gt dl.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Is that legal to trip a player running past you?
No. That's defensive holding. Everybody does it anyway because it is virtually impossible to detect unless the D player tackles his target. This is a particularly good example of why this kind of penalty is so seldom called. With slow motion and magnification (I tried it) it is still difficult to tell if Baron tripped Shamire or MJ did by bumbling the snap and getting in the way. (I'm inclined to think it was Woody.) Now think about how hard it would be for the refs.

Too bad. If the block is cleanly made, MJ goes at least 10.