Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 18

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The play is midline triple. I guess we did use it last year. It was a misread by the QB and missed combo block by the backside guard. It looks like the center was expecting help, an ace block, and black side guard could not get there.

I don't think it was a misread as much as really athletic play by DT. His shoulders are completely turned toward BBack imo. Regardless, if QB gives or pitches, it would've gone for fewer yds imo.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think it was a misread as much as really athletic play by DT. His shoulders are completely turned toward BBack imo. Regardless, if QB gives or pitches, it would've gone for fewer yds imo.
It was a tough read. I ,by no means fault him at all. I think I heard CPJ call it a unclear read one time in another game. Yah the pitch was right out though. No matter how you cut it we just got really lucky. Its nice sometimes to have athletic ability to get you out of trouble but I'm always concerned it will get to the point where everyone just realize on it. My anal side of me I guess.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nesbit the used to do that all the time. In his big run in the '09 VT game, he stepped around the DT in a similar way. Our playside aback crushed the safety (Cam Chancellor) and it was off to the races.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
MJ's strength is on display here. Much like Nesbitt this boy is not going down with an arm tackle he will just run right through it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
MJ's strength is on display here. Much like Nesbitt this boy is not going down with an arm tackle he will just run right through it.
That was no chopped liver he pulled away from either. It was #60 who had been eating our bacon all game.

This play demonstrates why a DT shouldn't be able to slow play the mesh.