Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 17

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
24 gets dragged.

But 6.5 in the box on 3rd and 1 with the short yardage QB in the game? And a slant? Makes me think they have a motion-side stunt called and CPJ knew it.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
24 gets dragged.

But 6.5 in the box on 3rd and 1 with the short yardage QB in the game? And a slant? Makes me think they have a motion-side stunt called and CPJ knew it.
Isn't this the 4th qtr, play that UNCheat blew up on 4th and 1 inside their 20? Would be interesting to see some of the MJ plays in 4th against UNCheat compared to against VT.

BTW Longest day thanks for these slo mos. really appreciate all the time you spend doing these.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That play shows how much this offense asks of our OL. Man, Kenny had a tough assignment there. 24 cheats to the motion (something I got on Terrell Lewis about in another thread) which eventually helps him beat KC's angle. KC has to get off his stance, snap the ball, then pursue the block on someone with a head start who's a LOT quicker and more agile. If 24 doesn't make that play, 19 is coming with a full head of steam from the other side of the field. Looks like Parker sees that, but he's got to chip 60 off the snap, get to the next level, and try to get to a DB in open space.

If you want to know why athleticism and quickness in our OL is valued over size, that play is a good example.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We will again be king of 3rd and 4th down conversion rate and this play illustrates exactly why: a beast of an OL, a beast of a qb and a beast of a Bback lead blocker. All you dudes pining for any qb not named Matthew Jordan better watch what you hope for...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We will again be king of 3rd and 4th down conversion rate and this play illustrates exactly why: a beast of an OL, a beast of a qb and a beast of a Bback lead blocker. All you dudes pining for any qb not named Matthew Jordan better watch what you hope for...

So if MJ doesn't play, our beast OL, and beast BBack won't play?!! :)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Easy first down. Is it a TD if we just ran straight behind Kenny Cooper?

Student body left on defense -- everyone flys to the motion. No doubt CPJ sees this and uses it to burn VPISU later in the game.

/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On previous play I gave 3 a bit of hassel.
Here he blocks the olb enough to make a path for qb. He does this by hitting high and not filling up lane with his body and legs.

Got to totally love the power side blocking of rg and rt.
I WILL TAKE AN ORDER OF 2 PANCAKES ON RIGHT.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Love how MJ makes his body small and lowers his center of gravity to get those tough yards. Not always easy to do as a tall"-ish" guy, especially when you only need 1 yard.

SlawDog

Banned
On 3rd and very short, as in this play, I wish there was an audible between the center and QB where it would be just a quick snap and a sneak. The QB could virtually fall fwd for the first down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So if MJ doesn't play, our beast OL, and beast BBack won't play?!! :)
MJ allows for a different style of play than what we've been accustomed to recently. More smashmouth, less finesse. I like that. It doesn't negate our big play potential, either. In fact, it heightens it. When defenses get worn down and start gambling by sending second and third level defenders to stop the bleeding up the gut, we gash them big time either on the edge or over the top. Like in boxing, a lot of body blows soften up the opponent for the kill shot.

Also, in trying to defend the inside power game, defenses cannot afford to key on the Bback. If they do, MJ will run wild. If they start paying too much attention to MJ, Dedrick will destroy them. The rocket toss will be lethal because we won't see defenders flying to the motion side of the field like they've been doing. If they do, the inside will open up like the parting of the Red Sea.

I think this style plays to CPJ's strengths as a play caller as well. It really opens up the chess match. Sometimes the DC will guess right and we'll have some busted plays. But when they guess wrong, wide open receivers and fields of green for our ball carriers to gallup through. Mostly it'll mean the return of the Death March because I think DC's will play more honest. Death by a thousand cuts then BAM! How fun is that?

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MJ allows for a different style of play than what we've been accustomed to recently. More smashmouth, less finesse. I like that. It doesn't negate our big play potential, either. In fact, it heightens it. When defenses get worn down and start gambling by sending second and third level defenders to stop the bleeding up the gut, we gash them big time either on the edge or over the top. Like in boxing, a lot of body blows soften up the opponent for the kill shot.

Also, in trying to defend the inside power game, defenses cannot afford to key on the Bback. If they do, MJ will run wild. If they start paying too much attention to MJ, Dedrick will destroy them. The rocket toss will be lethal because we won't see defenders flying to the motion side of the field like they've been doing. If they do, the inside will open up like the parting of the Red Sea.

I think this style plays to CPJ's strengths as a play caller as well. It really opens up the chess match. Sometimes the DC will guess right and we'll have some busted plays. But when they guess wrong, wide open receivers and fields of green for our ball carriers to gallup through. Mostly it'll mean the return of the Death March because I think DC's will play more honest. Death by a thousand cuts then BAM! How fun is that?

Just messin' with ya' Cheese. Preaching to the choir here. The young guys are intriguing because of their skillset, but I've said several times that MJ is going to be our starter for good reason. Could he get passed during the season? It's possible if CPJ thinks one of the other guys gives the TEAM the best chance to win. But as it stands, and barring injury, I'd be SHOCKED if MJ wasn't the starter against UT.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
On 3rd and very short, as in this play, I wish there was an audible between the center and QB where it would be just a quick snap and a sneak. The QB could virtually fall fwd for the first down.
I'll bet there is already some discretion for him to do just that (with some constraints) but those DL can pinch hard and in a hurry, so you'd better guess right.
My coach said he had no problem with me giving an audible at any time...so long as it worked!

All I needed was a tap in the butt and away we would go on no count.
We did it often and sometimes even called the play in the huddle for a "silent count." Worked more times than not.