Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 11

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Short side of field
Play side DE is not blocked as well as Olb.

We get 2.5 yds.

parker engages the away side lb and then the rt shows up for the double team. Could this really be the assignment for rt? Surely he was supposed to get DE 99.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
RT seems lost. Who has the playside OLB?
It's not certain that the RT was mistaken. It very well could've been a play where the RT blocks down for the sole reason of influencing the DE and LB's. If the RT is their read key, then him blocking down would influence them to squeeze down instead of flying outside. That along with the reverse motion of the QB and the opposite side dive motion of the BB and the motion of the AB giving him a headstart can allow him to outflank them without the need to even block them. If that's the case, then you can utilize your blockers to get other guys at the 2nd level and you're out of the gate. It didn't work, obviously. But, didn't work and can't work are 2 different things.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's not certain that the RT was mistaken. It very well could've been a play where the RT blocks down for the sole reason of influencing the DE and LB's. If the RT is their read key, then him blocking down would influence them to squeeze down instead of flying outside. That along with the reverse motion of the QB and the opposite side dive motion of the BB and the motion of the AB giving him a headstart can allow him to outflank them without the need to even block them. If that's the case, then you can utilize your blockers to get other guys at the 2nd level and you're out of the gate. It didn't work, obviously. But, didn't work and can't work are 2 different things.
That's all well and good but somebody has to block the playside OLB. I'd much rather block a guy when we have a guy on that side than try to dupe him out of the play. I'd put the RT on the OLB and Will on the MLB (the guy he takes but he's too slow off the ball) and take my chances.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have seen multiple blocking schemes on rocket toss... the cross block and "everyone" heads outside.

I think the cross block is suppose to take advantage of the DE pinching down on the OT on triple option plays. The OT releases inside, pulling the DE inside and the OG heads outside. This should allow the DE to take himself out of the play without being blocked (if he pinches down).

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
"We only need to [account for] three players for the play to work."

It gives the same initial look as the belly schem (OT down, OG pull). If the OLB sprints to the edge on the belly, then we have a crease. If he closes down the C/D gap and feathers, then the rocket toss should outrun him to the edge. IIRC, we scored some points when LBs overplayed the edge in this one..

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a check was in order on that play... the safety was playing up on that side and the other safety was cheating to the short side.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is it normal for the mlb to be so deep and not shoot to be in play? Seems like he was more of a safety w the safety showing up in hole w the olb.

In the FB 101 video it looks like the blocking goes together more up field than feathering to the sideline. In the video it seems like the runner is Right on the but of the blocking ab. Maybe will was to feather?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That's all well and good but somebody has to block the playside OLB. I'd much rather block a guy when we have a guy on that side than try to dupe him out of the play. I'd put the RT on the OLB and Will on the MLB (the guy he takes but he's too slow off the ball) and take my chances.

Cheese.
Notice that RG 70 didn't touch anyone.He could have gotten the OLB -a LITTLE at least..

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cheese.
Notice that RG 70 didn't touch anyone.He could have gotten the OLB -a LITTLE at least..

I believe on a short side field this play doesn't feather but heads up field like rg. The way we were headed we were too close to out of bounds . I like seeing rb right behind blockers so the tacklers are drawn into blocker and back cuts off block. It's impossible to block in open field if rb and blocker are not in sync.
(Too much loop and lots of stutter steps by rb before he cuts. ).
LOTS OF MISSES AND STILL 3 YDS

Deleted member 2897

Not a fan of the rocket toss into the near side of the field when we're all the way over at the hash. The sideline essentially becomes another couple defensive players, as the AB can't fly across the field at full speed and take the toss outside the tackle...otherwise their momentum would take them out of bounds. So instead of a high speed Rocket Toss, it essentially becomes just a regular pitch into a crowd full of people.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not a fan of the rocket toss into the near side of the field when we're all the way over at the hash. The sideline essentially becomes another couple defensive players, as the AB can't fly across the field at full speed and take the toss outside the tackle...otherwise their momentum would take them out of bounds. So instead of a high speed Rocket Toss, it essentially becomes just a regular pitch into a crowd full of people.
Theoretically there are less defenders on the short side because the defense is over playing the field side. If you run the play fast to the short side, you can beat the edge defender to the corner, but you still have to run it fast .

For this to work you have to account for all of the playside defenders. You have to either dupe or block them out of the play. We did neither. We didn't even block the backside pursuit.

I still can't believe we did not put a hat on the playside linebacker.

Last edited: