Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 1 and 2

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The first play is a total cluster****. One guy makes his block. In our O, one missed block can scuttle a play. And that's what happened on play two. The motion Aback looks like he's supposed to take out the OLB and just runs right by him. That destroyed the man advantage we're supposed to have at the point of attack and it kills the play. I dunno, maybe the playside Aback missed his assignment. One of the Abacks definitely did.

Too bad, too, because that play was set up nicely otherwise. Nice job of Matthew fighting his way back to the LOS and not dancing around and losing 5.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Play 1.
Brad S. defender takes two steps to the outside during the snap. Brad heads in the direction of the defenders outside steps. The defender then angles inward and Brad is not able to compensate to make the block.

Ike's block would have been fine by forcing the defender outside and deep back field. This would have left the inside open, if Brad's block was better. Although the safety was up and would require some work to get buy.

Play 2.
Lee and Lynch both go for a ILB and leave the defensive end untouched. My guess is Lee is assigned the DE who is head up on him and the Aback goes for the ILB. The OLB should have been the pitch read.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Play 1.
Brad S. defender takes two steps to the outside during the snap. Brad heads in the direction of the defenders outside steps. The defender then angles inward and Brad is not able to compensate to make the block.

Ike's block would have been fine by forcing the defender outside and deep back field. This would have left the inside open, if Brad's block was better. Although the safety was up and would require some work to get buy.

Play 2.
Lee and Lynch both go for a ILB and leave the defensive end untouched. My guess is Lee is assigned the DE who is head up on him and the Aback goes for the ILB. The OLB should have been the pitch read.
Play 1 is a jailbreak. There's 5 defenders running free within 5 yards and on all sides of the ball. Then there's 2 more 5 yard downfield of that bunch with nobody blocking them.

I think you're right on play 2. One missed block can scuttle an otherwise very well blocked and set up play. If Lee takes out the DE, that play scores as none of the defenders were any closer to the edge than Marcus Marshall who would have received the pitch. It would have been a footrace from the hash to the sideline and I've got odds on MM.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
#1 - we only need to make 2 or 3 blocks for rocket to be successful. We didn't in this one. Alignment seemed to favor VPISUs defense.

#2 - I sometimes think blocking the man in front of you would make sense against VPISU. Forget the second level, forget the unblocked lineman for reads, forget it all and just hit 'em. Feel like we run past the man who makes the tackle seeking out a second level defender.

/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion the rocket toss is an edge play all the way. It's not designed for the runner to cut back up the seam or anywhere else.

For that reason, it is imperative for the lead blocker to get in front of his man and not let him penetrate the backfield. This play was lost as soon as that happened.

VT is well schooled at diagnosing this play and acting appropriately. Better than any team that we play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
VT over plays the rocket toss on play one beautifully. All of their second and third line defenders evade our blocks and are there to make a tackle.

However, they are ripe for a counter or naked bootleg, there's nobody staying home on the backside. This is where the chess match ensues.

Matthew actually burns 'em for a touchdown when they over play motion later on.