Film Room The Summer Push Play 8

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Play eight is blown up because we wiff on the middle linebacker and the DT. It's also hampered because QM is slow to get going after the pull and is forced to retreat 2 yards instead of coming straight down the line. He also fails to attack the pitch key, instead deciding to cut it back into five guys.

On the other hand, the MLB makes a heck of play getting off the block and forcing Taquan's hand. The DE knows he's got help so he slow plays the pitch perfectly.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
They start moving to the play side before the ball is snapped. The backside LB is moving before the ball is snapped and DL gives ground instead of staying strong , losing 3 yards to keep from being cut. You cannot really get much out of these except watch for good reads and guys picking up the right folks.

Deleted member 2897

Look at the weak side AB (Cottrell?) taking on the corner (and getting defeated), look at the Center, etc. Lots of defeated blocks. Looks like nobody is missing their assignment, which is again a very big deal for us in a positive way. This play absolutely got blown up with Brant Mitchell getting back up and multiple defeated blocks and we still made +1 yard on it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Look at the weak side AB (Cottrell?) taking on the corner (and getting defeated), look at the Center, etc. Lots of defeated blocks. Looks like nobody is missing their assignment, which is again a very big deal for us in a positive way. This play absolutely got blown up with Brant Mitchell getting back up and multiple defeated blocks and we still made +1 yard on it.
If the OL gets to the middle linebacker it doesn't matter what Brant Mitchell does, the play goes for a long way. The best thing Brant does is jam up the mesh slowing down Taquan.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
BM showing why he's a starter
Yes, a fine block by Mills but Brant recovered and was in on the play. Well done, by both players. After watching this, I have confidence in TaQuan (spelling?) being the quarterback but I can see the other two overtaking him as well. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. All of them need reps in the worse way. Just get better day by day and good things will happen. You just never know when it becomes your time.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The center would get to the LB in a real game. Its a scrimmage... Everyone knows the play and the calls across the LOS. If you want to watch something that is reality, watch real game film. Y'all will go crazy watching this stuff :)

Last edited:

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
When the QB has to run backwards the play is done. 51 even blocked blew up the play. Brant is tough old school hit you in the mouth kinda LB.

Last edited:

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
but check out cottrell on the other play.

And it's TL, not a corner. I like cottrell as a blocker.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
but check out cottrell on the other play.

And it's TL, not a corner. I like cottrell as a blocker.
Blocking in space against the oppositions' most agile players is super tough, even our best blockers whiffed a bunch. Godhigh, Jones, etc, all had (non)blocks they'd rather forget. I wonder what the coaches consider a good "batting average" on those blocks (and don't say 1.000 because that's bs unrealistic). The '14 Aback wonder crew took 5 years to get good at it and they were far from perfect.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
@flea77 Its the only film, other than VT, with new QBs, new center, and new OT. I will do some VT film next.
It's fun to watch. It is interesting to see how our D reacts vs how other schools handle what we do on offense. I like the way our guys hustle to the ball. They were flying around all spring.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing I've observed about our downfield blocking, the direction of the ball carrier is huge in how perfect a lead cutblock has to be to be effective. Once the ball carrier is downhill, all the lead blocker has to do is get in the way. When the ball carrier is going east/west, the block has to be much closer to perfect to be effective.