Film Room The Summer Push Play 7

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Both video 6 & 7. Lee (LT) and Braun (LG) are real quick off the snap. so quick it looks like false start. watch ball, RT & RG, amazing, how do they do that, could it be center's reaction to QB snap call is slow?

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
Perfect execution by the d. Olb timed the snap while the De jumped outside for the qb.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
That play was going to die no matter what(hand off or not)... well diagnosed by the defense.

This type blitz against our O is all too familiar. Was not Lee supposed to block down on the LB blitz (BM). BM was lined up across from the gap he blitzed and he moved on the snap. If not Lee who is supposed to account for BM blitz?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, Lee should have picked up the LB. I believe the LB is not an option key. If I am wrong and he is an option key, this would be a cross charge.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, Lee should have picked up the LB. I believe the LB is not an option key. If I am wrong and he is an option key, this would be a cross charge.
No it was an ez stunt. With the backer going inside he was the dive read. Freeman was the pitch read. The QB missed the read.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are you sure? I am not, but I think Qua would have blocked the safety and allowed the outside guy to be optioned like most of the game.

The defense has been playing with 4 LB. the LB who blitzed would have been more like the LB blocked in play 6, except he blitzed. The other LB did not motion with the AB, whatcha left him more outside than play 6.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Should we have two guys with the same assignment? Nobody went for the safety.
I think Lee should have worked up to the Free* Safety, safety in the middle of the field. It still leaves an extra defender on the outside, lb and freeman taken out with reads and the AB blocking one on the two remaining outside defenders, but it still should have picked up 4-5 yards with the right read by the QB. Of course if the centerfield defender is getting that nosy on a run like that then you should be able to play action that for a big one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Lee should have worked up to the Free* Safety, safety in the middle of the field. It still leaves an extra defender on the outside, lb and freeman taken out with reads and the AB blocking one on the two remaining outside defenders, but it still should have picked up 4-5 yards with the right read by the QB. Of course if the centerfield defender is getting that nosy on a run like that then you should be able to play action that for a big one.
So the quarterback should have pulled and then run left on a keeper?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lee should be blocking a LB. He was all by himself because his LB blitzed. The read looks bad because I think Marshall was reading Freeman and the outside LB, which is a give read. This makes the most since (versus a bad read)...

If I am correct, there is a blocker for everyone and the pitch reads are Freeman and the outside LB. Lee picks up the blitz and the aback picks up the outside safety with Freeman and the outside LB optioned.

OT don't usually go for the safety as the first target. This fits CPJs comments and a lot of Lee's plays. I really like Lee, and he will learn where to go and who to block.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lee should be blocking a LB. He was all by himself because his LB blitzed. The read looks bad because I think Marshall was reading Freeman and the outside LB, which is a give read. This makes the most since (versus a bad read)...

If I am correct, there is a blocker for everyone and the pitch reads are Freeman and the outside LB. Lee picks up the blitz and the aback picks up the outside safety with Freeman and the outside LB optioned.

OT don't usually go for the safety as the first target. This fits CPJs comments and a lot of Lee's plays. I really like Lee, and he will learn where to go and who to block.
How do you have two pitch keys? The playside Aback, Qua, seems to be heading for the OLB before he realizes the play is dead. That would leave nobody on the safety.

Last edited:

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will confess to thinking that Lee was a throw-away to try to persuade "Big" Campbell. I should've known better. Coaches did. If he really learns what he's doing, he's perfect for our offense.