The Search

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Ken just posted an article reminding us he remains lacking with inside info & sources. Nice guy, but it's amazing how much better the beat writers are at so many other schools. I'm not even talking about the resources AJC throws at UGA & SEC. I'd bet Valpo has better guys on the beat.

I'm actually shocked he didn't hang his thesis on a Goodman tweet.

He will likely be tweaking it...we just talked

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In reality beat writers are only as good as the coach, AD or university (or institute) wants them to be - or at least as connected as they want them to be. Been an issue for a while.

Perhaps so, but the premium board guys, who report on the same info, albeit not under the guise of "journalism" actually deliver way better info on the beat. One of the many reasons, I'll spend $10/month to each site, but won't spend 99cents on the AJC access.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, I have 2 kids in the top 10 in the state of MI looking close at this hire. Class of 2017. One is a high D1 level kid. The other is a 4 year glue guy. BD is well respected up here. This would be great for Midwest recruiting.

Not sure if Jermaine Jackson is one of the kids, but I know he was supposedly offered by us last summer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps so, but the premium board guys, who report on the same info, albeit not under the guise of "journalism" actually deliver way better info on the beat. One of the many reasons, I'll spend $10/month to each site, but won't spend 99cents on the AJC access.

Makes you wonder why KS doesn't hit the message boards more often to see what the latest news amongst board "insiders" is, then go to someone like KQ for feedback, or go directly to MBob and say "I have information from a well placed source that is reporting Coach XYZ is a top candidate for GT...." I know he'd certainly gain some valuable insight and ideas about subjects to write on. Lots of noise on fan message boards, but if you read and learn who the more knowledgeable guys are, it can certainly be an invaluable resource for beat writers.

I know some on here don't like Carvell, but he was pretty good about talking to guys like KQ about football prospects.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Makes you wonder why KS doesn't hit the message boards more often to see what the latest news amongst board "insiders" is, then go to someone like KQ for feedback, or go directly to MBob and say "I have information from a well placed source that is reporting Coach XYZ is a top candidate for GT...." I know he'd certainly gain some valuable insight and ideas about subjects to write on. Lots of noise on fan message boards, but if you read and learn who the more knowledgeable guys are, it can certainly be an invaluable resource for beat writers.

I know some on here don't like Carvell, but he was pretty good about talking to guys like KQ about football prospects.

MBob won't talk to Ken...PJ barely will

Ken isn't a member, no idea why...Doug was and still is

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MBob won't talk to Ken...PJ barely will

Ken isn't a member, no idea why...Doug was and still is

Not sure what happened between KS and CPJ, but I remember a video taped presser where KS asked something and CPJ basically dressed him down in front of everyone. CPJ basically said something like "If you ask me that again, you will never get anything from the football team again." It was actually pretty uncomfortable, and I felt kinda bad for KS.

Wonder why our AD and Head football coach have given the AJC's lead GT writer the cold shoulder.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I really like KS as a writer but every time I hear audio of how he asks questions of the coaches and what questions he asks I cringe for him. With football he has an unhealthy fixation on asking coaches to violate HIPAA laws, and I really don't understand why. Injury news is a good thing to report but he seems to overvalue such info and ignores how much it chafes the coaches, especially CPJ, to be pestered to give that out earlier than league requirements. Sometimes I wonder if he has bets to get in based on injury inside info. ;)

Jackets_912

Georgia Tech Fan
Dabiz, when is the announcement? Btw, who are you? You've been leading everyone one this board and others for the past two weeks. No offense, and defense, but why is everyone so confident in your opinions?

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember, MBob chaired the tourney selection committee a couple years ago. He understands the protocol of not doing anything that might even look like upstaging the Final Four. Unlikely to get any formal announcement today. Maybe a release that a press conference is upcoming. They'd prolly hold that at Tech.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What might amuse me the most is we are the only open job in a conference dominating this tournament and the press coverage has been zero.

I know this is why he's the AD and I work in construction, but if I'm MBob I let it fly at about 5pm this afternoon. Haha

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
If he's trying to bring his grad transfer with him, it could be admissions holding this whole thing up.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dabiz, when is the announcement? Btw, who are you? You've been leading everyone one this board and others for the past two weeks. No offense, and defense, but why is everyone so confident in your opinions?

We are confident in his opinions because he appears confident when saying them. Also we like what he is saying. No other reason to believe him over anyone else from what I can tell. That said I enjoy reading the posts and hope he is both right and as much in the know as he claims.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
We are confident in his opinions because he appears confident when saying them. Also we like what he is saying. No other reason to believe him over anyone else from what I can tell. That said I enjoy reading the posts and hope he is both right and as much in the know as he claims.
He is way more reliable than most reports