The Saban Rule?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I like the rule, but they should also tie in no signing over 20 players, no lineman over 250 lbs., 4 year scholarships, no grey shirting, and making players take legitimate classes. Saban likes to pick and choose, but it "is for player safety" is a bunch of croc.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't like the rule. It benefits teams that don't run up tempo which is the main (hidden) impetus for the rule. There is no data to suggest up tempo offenses cause more injuries to defensive players. Also, how would it not be equally as dangerous for offensive players?

Also, what about end of game/half situations when everybody likes to run up tempo/no huddle?

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I think should change is letting offensive linemen come out of a set position to look over at the sideline for a play call. Once they crouch down, even if their hand isn't on the ground, they should not be allowed to stand back up without false start being called. If the quarterback wants to "test" the defense then look over at the sidelines that's fine, but make those big linemen stay crouched. It's too much of an advantage for an offense to allow these linemen to keep bobbing up and down. Make em get set and run the darn play.

gtdrew

Banned
One thing I think should change is letting offensive linemen come out of a set position to look over at the sideline for a play call. Once they crouch down, even if their hand isn't on the ground, they should not be allowed to stand back up without false start being called. If the quarterback wants to "test" the defense then look over at the sidelines that's fine, but make those big linemen stay crouched. It's too much of an advantage for an offense to allow these linemen to keep bobbing up and down. Make em get set and run the darn play.
I would 'like' this 73 times if I could. That drives me insane. It should be a penalty.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The ten second rule does not sound like an unreasonable change, but how many seconds have normally elapsed between the whistle at the end of a play until the teams line up for the next play? If a defensive team is on their toes, then they should start their substitutions immediately after the whistle blows ending the last play. Since the offense has the advantage in time of starting their next play (bringing in subs), it seems reasonable for the defense to have some time for their substitutions.

Oldgoldandwhite: I do think Saban is a good coach, but it does appear that he bends the rules to suit his will. I am not saying that Alabama pays its players, but there has been rumors about this way back when I first started following football. Of course, Auburn was also accused in many of these rumors. In fact, Bobby Dodd turned in the Auburn coach for breaking recruiting rules years ago.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Back in the '60s, a Spaniard invented a new way to throw the javelin. Instead of running up to the fault line and chunking the spear, he got at the fault line, put the end of the spear on his hip, and rotated like a discus thrower. When he got up enough speed, he brought the spear out to full arm length, holding on with both hands at the end of it, and let go when he reached full momentum. He broke the world record by more then 15 feet and won the world championship in a walk.

And the very next year, right before the Olympics, his method of throwing the javelin was outlawed and everybody had to go back to running and chunking.

This is the same thing. Innovative coaches have come up with a way to make life uncomfortable for DCs everywhere and they're whining about it. It isn't as if you can't stop a hurry-up O; ask Baylor and Oregon about that. It's that, "Dude, it's really hard to do!"

Well, <fastener turned with a screwdriver> Saban. Let's let people who want to play football in new ways do it.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Back in the '60s, a Spaniard invented a new way to throw the javelin. Instead of running up to the fault line and chunking the spear, he got at the fault line, put the end of the spear on his hip, and rotated like a discus thrower. When he got up enough speed, he brought the spear out to full arm length, holding on with both hands at the end of it, and let go when he reached full momentum. He broke the world record by more then 15 feet and won the world championship in a walk.

And the very next year, right before the Olympics, his method of throwing the javelin was outlawed and everybody had to go back to running and chunking.

This is the same thing. Innovative coaches have come up with a way to make life uncomfortable for DCs everywhere and they're whining about it. It isn't as if you can't stop a hurry-up O; ask Baylor and Oregon about that. It's that, "Dude, it's really hard to do!"

Well, <fastener turned with a screwdriver> Saban. Let's let people who want to play football in new ways do it.

As a track guy, I'm always interested when I hear stories like this and tend to doubt their veracity
Turns out, this happened (mostly):

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=10047

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/assets/temp/javelin.jpg

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
What I can't figure out is why assess a delay of game penalty? Why not assess a false start penalty instead? Calling delay of game for moving too fast is silly.

Overall, I think I disagree with the proposed rule. If the offense wants to snap the ball as fast, then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to provided that some allowance is made for getting the officiating crew in position and the ball properly spotted. I think they've already put a rule in place, even if only unofficially, stating that if the offense substitutes then the defense must be given the opportunity to do so as well. So that prevents the offense from substituting while denying the defense the opportunity to do the same.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not sure I buy the player safety angle. Current rules and all recent changes I can think of favor the offense. Right now we see fantom injuries occur to allow D to make subs vs hurry up O. This change might at least limit that.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If it is so unfair and hard to scheme against, why doesn't he just do it. I do not like the rule. One interesting caveat from this rule, is that it would disallow offenses the ability to quickly spike the ball to save time on the clock.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess the only argument for player safety is that the more plays that are run in a game, the more likely someone gets hurt. This is football. Play the darned game. There are both advantages and disadvantages to every style of play. If you run up tempo and you get stopped a few times, it can be crippling for your defense. Whatever. This rule is like saying to a basketball team that you can't fast break or full court press. Sorry, but it is thumbs down on this rule for me. Every team should decide its style of play and live or die with the results.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Basically, I like the rules that are good common sense rules, but take away the ability of the referee to influence the outcome of a game. I know this is not a basketball topic, but it symbolizes any sports where rules give refs too much leeway in a game.

Instead of allowing 5 seconds for inbound, another limit to cross the center line, another if the offensive player holds the ball too long with a defender close to him, and then a fourth of the total time of 25 seconds to get a shot off at the basket. Start the clock when the player is handed the ball to inbound. Use the 25 second clock and delete the other three rules, this would take three decisions away from the referee in influencing the game.

I detest the holding call in football, it can be called on every play if the ref so desired. It can be used to influence the outcome of the game. Make all players go back to blocking with the arms and to greatly reduce the holding calls and the ref's influence in the game.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't like any rule that changes dependent on the time left on the clock. Why is a hurry up offensive any less dangerous with 2 minutes to play than any other time in the game.

I'm glad you brought "2 minutes" up. So in the 2-minute drill, will just lose 10secs (essentially 2 plays) before you snap?How about after a first down, 10 secs have to run off before I can snap again?

Animal02

Banned
I'm glad you brought "2 minutes" up. So in the 2-minute drill, will just lose 10secs (essentially 2 plays) before you snap?How about after a first down, 10 secs have to run off before I can snap again?

The proposed rule would not be in effect with two minutes left in each half. Rules that change based on how much time is on the clock are stupid. (Like the clock starting after running out of bounds except for the last two minutes)