The role of strength & conditioning in a program

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tks. Started and played in a lot of games, no regrets. " Got Out " GT helped prepare him for life. Great Exp. Lifetime friends.
By far the best recruiting tool gt has is its former players and their parents. The players know they have competed for playing time against smart hard working players. They did this will going to real classes and competing with real smart students. When the graduate tech as a player - its more like "look out world here I got out! Other schools fail in this regard when the have slide by courses based on lowered expectations.

A current example - Our new recruiting guy Watson is working with former Gt qb T Marshall to recruit a giant OL guy (named Obsdia Obasuyi 6'7" 285lbs) who recently came to usa and started playing football.

TIME LINE
HE CAME TO GT ON HIS JUNIOR DAY WITH HIS COACH , TECH QB TA QUON MARSHALL.....THEN K WATSON TOLD HIS TRAINER TO HAVE HIM COME BY THE CAMPUS .. THEN KEY CALLED AND OFFERED .. SAYS HE AND FAMILY STRONGLY VALUE EDUCATION - WILL BE BACK IN JUNE.

THE KEY IS HE WAS INTRODUCED TO GT BY A FOMER GT ATHLETE WHO IS HIS CURRENT COACH.

CGC DOES A LOT STUPID STUFF BUT RECRUITING IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

T MARSHALL WAS A TRUE WARRIOR - WHAT IF HE TURNED THIS GIANT INTO A WARRIOR WHO CAME TO GET.

slugboy

Staff member
CSCCa. SCCC is a long hard process. 650 hours. Very tough written and physical exams w Master coaches. Will passed his first attempt. Many do not. If you read the entire article, there is a huge difference in the different certs. Will is now the Director of Strength and Conditioning at Mt Paran Christian. He worked w Coach Sisk for 4 years in college, summer after graduation at GSU. 2 years at Middle Tennessee and this past year at Reinhardt. I believe all S&C Coaches at the High School and College level should have this cert.
I’m glad your son is doing well and that his athletes are doing well, and that he got the difficult certification.
I think track and field cert should be discontinued. It’s OK as a seminar for coaches, but you can’t call it a certification—it’s too small.
I’ve seen people who work for their certification and let it do their thinking for them, and I’ve seen people who make their certification work for them. Hopefully Will can get some others and his experience will work well for him

slugboy

Staff member
CSCCa. SCCC is a long hard process. 650 hours. Very tough written and physical exams w Master coaches. Will passed his first attempt. Many do not. If you read the entire article, there is a huge difference in the different certs. Will is now the Director of Strength and Conditioning at Mt Paran Christian. He worked w Coach Sisk for 4 years in college, summer after graduation at GSU. 2 years at Middle Tennessee and this past year at Reinhardt. I believe all S&C Coaches at the High School and College level should have this cert.
I’m glad your son is doing well and that his athletes are doing well, and that he got the difficult certification.
I think track and field cert should be discontinued. It’s OK as a seminar for coaches, but you can’t call it a certification—it’s too small.
I’ve seen people who work for their certification and let it do their thinking for them, and I’ve seen people who make their certification work for them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Regarding our S&C program, I'm just not sold on the current S&C staff. I have no idea who John Sisk is, but it just seems to me we were stronger when he was here. That's just my opinion and maybe someone in the know can give more insight.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Regarding our S&C program, I'm just not sold on the current S&C staff. I have no idea who John Sisk is, but it just seems to me we were stronger when he was here. That's just my opinion and maybe someone in the know can give more insight.
Strength in ol.
Guys we had were for our run first offense. Getting them stronger may have reached a peak ( my ol son at another school was injured in 5th year when he tried for too much max) . We have had lots of injuries in ol ( Kelly on Rivals ) My neighbor related to Austin Smith - knee wont repair.
Lack of depth is a huge issue .

As to wr and db - the add weight = big shoulders and chests may have been a negative on the field.

I am optimistic we come into fall 22 in best shape.

JacketFan137

Banned
Strength in ol.
Guys we had were for our run first offense. Getting them stronger may have reached a peak ( my ol son at another school was injured in 5th year when he tried for too much max) . We have had lots of injuries in ol ( Kelly on Rivals ) My neighbor related to Austin Smith - knee wont repair.

As to wr and db - the add weight = big shoulders and chests may have been a negative on the field.

BMI is for WR is actually a pretty solid indicator for success in the nfl. much more production out of big physical guys than smaller frames. obviously there’s exceptions to the rule but a WR being big up top is really important to win at the catch point and beat press coverage

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe I am off on this, but I think the natural competition among the players is at least as important as the S&C Coach. Maybe more so. Guys have to want to do the hard work in the weight room or their workouts will be so sporatic or lethargic that they do not see the improvement.

Where a coach might really effective is helping young players see the advantages with total body conditioning. And that includes the very non-competitive aspects of flexibility and aerobic fitness.

JacketFan137

Banned
Maybe I am off on this, but I think the natural competition among the players is at least as important as the S&C Coach. Maybe more so. Guys have to want to do the hard work in the weight room or their workouts will be so sporatic or lethargic that they do not see the improvement.

Where a coach might really effective is helping young players see the advantages with total body conditioning. And that includes the very non-competitive aspects of flexibility and aerobic fitness.
with the rules in place regarding practice time, the weight room has become a MAJOR part of player development and you see a lot of colleges spending more and more money on the facilities and the coaches. in the off-season the players will likely spend more time with the weight coach than any position coaches and head coach. maximizing that time has become a major separator in college football at the top and if you don’t put investment into it the team will just be further behind

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Strength in ol.

I wondered about Austin. That's too bad.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wondered about Austin. That's too bad.
He just graduated. Not sure where he is working.
Wesley Wells has had intern w top financial firms and now is at smaller firm doing commercial advice. #5 T K C has graduated (b a) . Hope he continues to recover so he can be big help this year. Not likely imo to ride the bench as a tech grad. Super families .

#70 ol played injured due to lack of backups. His dad was not pleased. Glad to see ryan got to try nfl camp
That was their goal.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Wesley Wells has had intern w top financial firms and now is at smaller firm doing commercial advice. #5 T K C has graduated (b a) . Hope he continues to recover so he can be big help this year. Not likely imo to ride the bench as a tech grad. Super families .

#70 ol played injured due to lack of backups. His dad was not pleased. Glad to see ryan got to try nfl camp
That was their goal.
I remember when Austin was a frosh. Paul basically said he would start as a sophomore since he was a smasher on OL. Then events intervened. Too bad all around.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

That was their goal.
Glad to hear Austin " Got Out ". Everyone plays w a bunch of injuries , its College football... You can see Coach Sisk's bio on the Ga State website. Will loves the guy and the assistants he worked w for 4 years at GT.