The Program Training (video)

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m too young to know anything about drownproofing but I’ve heard horror stories from my father. I’m actually a football coach myself and have been taking notes. I’m totally stealing some of these workouts... lol

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m too young to know anything about drownproofing but I’ve heard horror stories from my father. I’m actually a football coach myself and have been taking notes. I’m totally stealing some of these workouts... lol
Yeah I luckily am in the same boat (was at the Institute late 2000s) so avoided the class as well. Definitely heard stories though!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The GT drown proofing course in the fifties saved my life one time after I "got out" of GT. In my case yes it was tough but absolutely worth it.

Yes. Drownproofing was a victory for mental training more than physical training and it had all sorts of positive life applications. It was the one course where the non athlete could accomplish similar results that a great athlete could accomplish. It should have survived.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Drownproofing was a victory for mental training more than physical training and it had all sorts of positive life applications. It was the one course where the non athlete could accomplish similar results that a great athlete could accomplish. It should have survived.
Completely agree. I'll never forget the positives I got from that experience.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I had Coach Mccauley in 1974. My memory of that was the underwater swim test. Had to forward flip from the deep end so no momentum and swim underwater to the other end and then all the way back and touch the wall for an A. I think you got a C for touching the away wall and a B for getting halfway back. You also got an A if you passed out and he had to fish you out. He had some some swim team guy demonstrate and his instructions were to ’stroke and glide’ because if you stroked/kicked non-stop you would use too much oxygen.

I was 2nd in line and the 1st guy followed form perfect. Was 3/4 way back and Coach was walking on the deck beside saying ‘see that? Stroke and glide’. Well after his last glide he never stroked and sank to the bottom of the deep end and coach had the swim team guy jump in and fish him out up on the side spitting and coughing. Next, he yells.

Everyone was freaking out and I had never been so nervous in my life. Somehow I made it all the way back and I think it was truly a mental test but I was completely out of air and could not have gone another foot. I do think it inspired others to finish that test.

GT_EE78

Banned
I had Coach Mccauley in 1974. My memory of that was the underwater swim test. Had to forward flip from the deep end so no momentum and swim underwater to the other end and then all the way back and touch the wall for an A. I think you got a C for touching the away wall and a B for getting halfway back. You also got an A if you passed out and he had to fish you out. He had some some swim team guy demonstrate and his instructions were to ’stroke and glide’ because if you stroked/kicked non-stop you would use too much oxygen.

I was 2nd in line and the 1st guy followed form perfect. Was 3/4 way back and Coach was walking on the deck beside saying ‘see that? Stroke and glide’. Well after his last glide he never stroked and sank to the bottom of the deep end and coach had the swim team guy jump in and fish him out up on the side spitting and coughing. Next, he yells.

Everyone was freaking out and I had never been so nervous in my life. Somehow I made it all the way back and I think it was truly a mental test but I was completely out of air and could not have gone another foot. I do think it inspired others to finish that test.
Did mine at 8am in fall 74.
a good rule was to skip breakfast at Jr's on hangover days.
a frat bro didn't adhere, so all knew he put ketchup on scrambled eggs.
I remember having to catch a pingpong ball in the eye socket and then do something underwater ....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I had Coach Decubas. The trick to the swim test was to hyperventilate until you felt your fingers tingle. That was to maximize the oxygen in your blood. (Who knows if that's true?)

I was breathing deep and when he said "Next", I shot my hand up and in I went. Got an A.

I loved the class. It is all mental and a great way to teach overcoming challenges.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Extra credit if you could read a word written on the bottom near the deep end. There must have been more than one word in the pool otherwise the "word" would have gotten out. It was "wurlitzer" when I did it in 1965.