The NCAA's Role

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Very much an open-ended question for discussion...

What is the NCAA's role? And I guess you can break it up 3 ways: Football, Men's Basketball, and non-revenue sports.

My understanding is the NCAA has no direct control or jurisdiction(?) over the CFB playoff and the process of determining the NCAA champion in football. Is that accurately stated? If they aren't in charge, who is?

Doesn't the NCAA dictate recruiting rules across all schools?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or looking for sarcastic responses... although, I'd never directly discourage such on a fan board.

I'll just leave it here to start... a read responses.

This is the language I found on the NCAA.org website (which doesn't do much to help me with my questions):
The employees at the NCAA’s national office oversee all championships, manage programs that benefit student-athletes and support member committees that make rules and policies for college sports. Member schools and conferences ultimately decide which rules to adopt for their division — everything from recruiting and compliance to academics and championships.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I believe you are correct with the NCAA dictating recruiting rules, because in the past they have voted every January to vote on proposed legislation.

Does not look like the NCAA has any control over the CFP. Here is what I found:

The Company​

CFP Administration, LLC, manages the administration operations of the College Football Playoff. Members of the company are the 10 FBS conferences (American Athletic, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Pac-12, Southeastern and Sun Belt) and the University of Notre Dame.

CFP Board of Managers
(11 university presidents and chancellors)​