The most disappointing stat from yesterday was...attendance.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Very few sell their allotment at Athens. The fans are that bad.
The mutt fans are so sorry they even trash their own campus. I did go to a game during the mid to late 1990s between LSU and UGA in Athens and let me tell you the LSU fans don't back down from anyone. They were giving it to the dwags just as hard as they were getting it. I guess it helped that the Tigers won. I was there as a guest of a Georgia fan. I tried to root for UGA but could not do it. It's a shame they both couldn't lose.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It’s not as bad. We were thinking of dropping the program- not the case today.

It's really not comparable. The difference between the early 1980s and today is pretty extreme. Tech is in far better shape now than then. I know sometimes it does not seem like it but Homer Rice, Bill Curry and others completely changed the mindset of the program. In fact, I have read that Tech's program during the 1990s was being studied by other schools mired in many of the same problems that had previously afflicted Tech to give them ideas on how to resurrect their athletic program.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Too much is being said about Alcorn St in this thread. Yes we have attendance problems. But I've seen similar sized crowds at BDS for ACC coastal opponents.

Too hot? Wake Forest was homecoming last year and played at night. Wasn't even close to a sellout.

I will just keep going to all of the games with my loyal group of sidewalk fans who don't seem to mind that I'm an alum and wonder silently why more people don't want to come out and support our student athletes for all that they do to entertain us. Oh, and I still get to enjoy the replay on my big tv later. It's the best of both worlds. Personally there's nothing I would rather do on a fall Saturday than go to BDS and watch a game.

I did not mean to hit on Alcorn. North Mississippi is a long way to drive for a football game if you support an FCS school. Glad the people who came got to see their team against a big time (relatively speaking of course) program and hope they had a good time. It seems to me that when we played Jax State they bought a bunch of people as did Georgia Southern. Years ago we played South Carolina State and it seems like they had a pretty good crowd with them. But I will tell you t hat if a home team abuses its visitors with fan behavior they will quit coming. We don't but I have seen other fan bases do it and one of these days it just might come back to haunt them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Expanding the footprint of the stadium was a senior design project prior to Stansbury's arrival. Prior administration didn't do a thing with it. Expanding the footprint is the only way to both expedite security and provide more concession areas and I'm thrilled they did it. Probably the most beneficial thing they did to improve game day experience thus far.

You mean that MBob ignored good ideas and TStan is actually listening and implementing them when possible? Don't remember hearing that before....sarcasm....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I did not mean to hit on Alcorn. North Mississippi is a long way to drive for a football game if you support an FCS school. Glad the people who came got to see their team against a big time (relatively speaking of course) program and hope they had a good time. It seems to me that when we played Jax State they bought a bunch of people as did Georgia Southern. Years ago we played South Carolina State and it seems like they had a pretty good crowd with them. But I will tell you t hat if a home team abuses its visitors with fan behavior they will quit coming. We don't but I have seen other fan bases do it and one of these days it just might come back to haunt them.

Yes, each of those teams represented well at BDS. Always try to tell at least one group of visiting fans each week "hello" and welcome to campus. Hope they have a good time (but of course go home with a loss).

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes, each of those teams represented well at BDS. Always try to tell at least one group of visiting fans each week "hello" and welcome to campus. Hope they have a good time (but of course go home with a loss).

We always get a number of visiting fans in the upper north and I do my best to welcome them and answer any questions. Except for dwags, not gonna happen EVAH!!!!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Always try to tell at least one group of visiting fans each week "hello" and welcome to campus. Hope they have a good time (but of course go home with a loss).

Yes! At the FSU game in 2015, I walked up to two Seminole fans and said, “Welcome to our campus.” and these guys looked at me like I had two heads but they said thank you. We know how that game turned out. [emoji6]. It wasn’t my idea though. A guy did that to me at Notre Dame earlier that year. We know how that game turned out too. [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk