The missing 2019 UCF game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not live in Florida, but I have family in Central and South Florida. Living on the coast of NC has sharpened my focus on hurricane activity, especially in September. Irma was a Cat 5 storm and you do not mess with a major hurricane. Believe what you want about the UCF decision to not play, but at least understand the facts about the storm.

Deleted member 2897

I do not live in Florida, but I have family in Central and South Florida. Living on the coast of NC has sharpened my focus on hurricane activity, especially in September. Irma was a Cat 5 storm and you do not mess with a major hurricane. Believe what you want about the UCF decision to not play, but at least understand the facts about the storm.

You’re completely missing the point. Good lord man. Nobody faults them for sending their kids home. You’re absolutely right, you do not mess with a storm like that with a track like that. When they made the decision to send the kids home, they weren’t trying to duck our game, hide, or anything else.

Their problem was they never set a contingency for what happens if the storm fizzles out. It did and wasn’t even a hurricane when it passed by. Campus was back open Monday, they had power, and so on. UCFs other sports teams practiced and played. Other area colleges practiced and played football. All but 5 of UCFs football players were back practicing Thursday.

They refused the offer to flip the series and come play up here. They refused the offer to play at a nearby stadium like Camping World Stadium. Their AD gave interviews stating all of this - they could have easily physical played, but needed a couple more days of practice to feel totally prepared and weren’t.

I’ve lived in hurricane areas my entire life. Storms can blow up out of nowhere. They can also change track fast and fizzle fast. Their big mistake was not setting plans for what to do if anything changed...which happens often with these storms. And then they refused to do anything to make do.

Deleted member 2897

Fun fact, UCF canceled a second game that year too. During the season, they rescheduled a different game (Memphis) over the top of University of Maine, called Maine and told them a couple weeks before that they weren’t playing any more. Paid them $400,000 to not show up and move on. Maine was like, uhhh, okay. 👨‍🎨

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You’re completely missing the point. Good lord man. Nobody faults them for sending their kids home. You’re absolutely right, you do not mess with a storm like that with a track like that. When they made the decision to send the kids home, they weren’t trying to duck our game, hide, or anything else.

Their problem was they never set a contingency for what happens if the storm fizzles out. It did and wasn’t even a hurricane when it passed by. Campus was back open Monday, they had power, and so on. UCFs other sports teams practiced and played. Other area colleges practiced and played football. All but 5 of UCFs football players were back practicing Thursday.

They refused the offer to flip the series and come play up here. They refused the offer to play at a nearby stadium like Camping World Stadium. Their AD gave interviews stating all of this - they could have easily physical played, but needed a couple more days of practice to feel totally prepared and weren’t.

I’ve lived in hurricane areas my entire life. Storms can blow up out of nowhere. They can also change track fast and fizzle fast. Their big mistake was not setting plans for what to do if anything changed...which happens often with these storms. And then they refused to do anything to make do.
You seem to have the idea that someone at UCF is going to call the media and acknowledge they could have played Ga Tech in 2017 but were afraid they would get their butt kicked. The campus was closed until Wednesday of game week. That is when my niece returned to campus.

BTW, I understand your point perfectly. I simply disagree.

Deleted member 2897

You seem to have the idea that someone at UCF is going to call the media and acknowledge they could have played Ga Tech in 2017 but were afraid they would get their butt kicked. The campus was closed until Wednesday of game week. That is when my niece returned to campus.

BTW, I understand your point perfectly. I simply disagree.

You seem to have the idea that someone at UCF is going to call the media and acknowledge they could have played Ga Tech in 2017 but were afraid they would get their butt kicked.”
False, I never asserted that.

The campus was closed until Wednesday of game week.”
False, campus opened Monday as I have already linked to from UCFs own website.

Odd to see a Mod spread misinformation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You seem to have the idea that someone at UCF is going to call the media and acknowledge they could have played Ga Tech in 2017 but were afraid they would get their butt kicked.”
False, I never asserted that.

The campus was closed until Wednesday of game week.”
False, campus opened Monday as I have already linked to from UCFs own website.

Odd to see a Mod spread misinformation.
Read the entire thread. It shows when announcements were made. Students were told on Sunday that campus was closed through Tuesday.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As someone born and raised in south Louisiana who personally went through Camille and was in Slidell 5 days after Katrina to help my parents throw stuff out of their flooded home, I say you should not use that hurricane as an excuse. What Orlando and its environs experienced was quite minor. So to blame it all on a natural disaster is deflection at its best. ESPECIALLY when every other school in Florida resumed their games that next weekend.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
As someone born and raised in south Louisiana who personally went through Camille and was in Slidell 5 days after Katrina to help my parents throw stuff out of their flooded home, I say you should not use that hurricane as an excuse. What Orlando and its environs experienced was quite minor. So to blame it all on a natural disaster is deflection at its best. ESPECIALLY when every other school in Florida resumed their games that next weekend.

It wasn't the effects of the storm but rather the preparation for the *expected* effects of the storm. Irma was an absolute category 5 monster in the Caribbean. Just peetered out approaching FL. Was right after Harvey, too, so people expected the worst. Maria came along right after.

But they still should have played! :)

Deleted member 2897

Read the entire thread. It shows when announcements were made. Students were told on Sunday that campus was closed through Tuesday.

Yes, in that link it says it opens Monday. I’ve linked to it before and copy/pasted. It’s right there. But arguing Tuesday doesn’t really make a difference anyway.

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
Every other school didnt play.....

Miami and Florida state were supposed to play that same Sat and postponed. They had shared a bye week and moved the game to Oct.
The only game that was played was Tennessee @ Florida.

Deleted member 2897

Miami and Florida state were supposed to play that same Sat and postponed. They had shared a bye week and moved the game to Oct.

No, others played like USF and the Tampa Bay Bucs. Other UCF sports practiced and played.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Dude I already provided the names of the closest D1 teams completely surrounding UCF. They all played AT HOME that weekend. Every single school played except UCF. Their President and AD went full.

UCF found a convenient way to duck us. Whether they did it because they’re just incompetent or chicken is the only thing up for debate. They earned their feathers and laid an egg.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Um...no. FIU played. USF played. TB Bucks played. The only reason the Miami-FSU game was postponed was they shared a bye week. Otherwise they were prepared to play. UCF just weenied out. Plain and simple. They failed to meet their obligation, for whatever reason, and used the storm as an excuse. Personally, I think they were running scared.

Deleted member 2897

Personally, I think they were running scared.

We had just gone 9-4, going 3-0 against the SEC, then rolled 700+ yards on Tennessee like they were nothing in the opening week of 2017 play. We would have been UCFs second game, so they had no idea what they had. They had lost their last 3 games of 2016 and gone 6-7. I won’t say they were scared, but their AD just laid it out there - they felt they were a couple days of practice short of being prepared to play.

They missed a big marketing opportunity. They could have played in the huge Camping World Stadium, given free tickets to first responders and evacuees and generated a lot of good will in the area.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We had just gone 9-4, going 3-0 against the SEC, then rolled 700+ yards on Tennessee like they were nothing in the opening week of 2017 play. We would have been UCFs second game, so they had no idea what they had. They had lost their last 3 games of 2016 and gone 6-7. I won’t say they were scared, but their AD just laid it out there - they felt they were a couple days of practice short of being prepared to play.

They missed a big marketing opportunity. They could have played in the huge Camping World Stadium, given free tickets to first responders and evacuees and generated a lot of good will in the area.
I'm still going with running scared.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
You can say that they are running scared, but I honestly believe given the missed practices Todd Stansbury would've done the same thing given the same situation, and the fact that we are talking trash about them canceling the game is bogus, frankly no one truly knows for sure if we could've won that game, after all we had bad luck that year considering the Miami and Virginia fluke losses that we should've won. Honestly canceling hurt them economically, so that is a large part of the reason "I don't think they were running scared." At the end of the day if they beat us on Saturday this argument doesn't matter, so Im not sure why were still having it

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You can say that they are running scared, but I honestly believe given the missed practices Todd Stansbury would've done the same thing given the same situation, and the fact that we are talking trash about them canceling the game is bogus, frankly no one truly knows for sure if we could've won that game, after all we had bad luck that year considering the Miami and Virginia fluke losses that we should've won. Honestly canceling hurt them economically, so that is a large part of the reason "I don't think they were running scared." At the end of the day if they beat us on Saturday this argument doesn't matter, so Im not sure why were still having it
Nope. Never would have happened. Tech men have too much integrity.