The missing 2019 UCF game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Slight correction - the 2017 game was not canceled due to Irma. The AD on a radio show said they expected such a bad storm (It hit Key West with 130 mph winds heading straight North.) they let everyone semi local go home to help without any contingency if the storm wasn’t bad. Sure enough, it wasn’t even a hurricane when it hit Orlando a week before the game. Campus was open again Monday and all sports eams were practicing all week. But since they had not set a contengency plan, they couldn’t get some players back for a few days and felt they wouldn’t be prepared to play. That’s why they turned down playing in Atlanta or elsewhere - it wasn’t about that. They just let a bunch of players go and the rest is history. Major embarrassing blemish on them that year.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Slight correction - the 2017 game was not canceled due to Irma. The AD on a radio show said they expected such a bad storm (It hit Key West with 130 mph winds heading straight North.) they let everyone semi local go home to help without any contingency if the storm wasn’t bad. Sure enough, it wasn’t even a hurricane when it hit Orlando a week before the game. Campus was open again Monday and all sports eams were practicing all week. But since they had not set a contengency plan, they couldn’t get some players back for a few days and felt they wouldn’t be prepared to play. That’s why they turned down playing in Atlanta or elsewhere - it wasn’t about that. They just let a bunch of players go and the rest is history. Major embarrassing blemish on them that year.
Having lived in Florida during that time, please consider what you are saying. Me personally I know it didn’t devastate Orlando, however I still had friends who lost power for as long as 3 weeks, had there roofs severely damaged, and knew people who had to deal with flooding IN ORLANDO. So to make the statement it “wasn’t cause of Irma” is a bit brash. I encourage you to actually think and research the situation, yes the COULDVE played, but it was bigger than them and they had families to worry about, the last thing they needed to worry about was a dumb game.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Having lived in Florida during that time, please consider what you are saying. Me personally I know it didn’t devastate Orlando, however I still had friends who lost power for as long as 3 weeks, had there roofs severely damaged, and knew people who had to deal with flooding IN ORLANDO. So to make the statement it “wasn’t cause of Irma” is a bit brash. I encourage you to actually think and research the situation, yes the COULDVE played, but it was bigger than them and they had families to worry about, the last thing they needed to worry about was a dumb game.

I was with you up to the dumb game part. :)

/

Deleted member 2897

I followed it very closely during the time. I watched and read about the wind speeds there, power outages, when campus reopened, and what the AD said. I trust the words he said. They didn’t set out to duck our game, but through a series of unfortunate decisions they left themselves in the position they did. Other colleges and the NFL played their games that weekend in the area. UCFs other sports teams played too. Well before the storm, we offered them to all come up to Atlanta and stay and play here and then we’d go down there next time and they said no.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
I followed it very closely during the time. I watched and read about the wind speeds there, power outages, when campus reopened, and what the AD said. I trust the words he said. They didn’t set out to duck our game, but through a series of unfortunate decisions they left themselves in the position they did. Other colleges and the NFL played their games that weekend in the area. UCFs other sports teams played too. Well before the storm, we offered them to all come up to Atlanta and stay and play here and then we’d go down there next time and they said no.
If that were true you'd know that the campus didn't reopen until two days after we were supposed to play the game, and that they were using Spectrum Stadium as a staging area for the National Guard to help assist victims. I don't ever recall anyone calling doing that an "unfortunate" decision, and part of the reason they didn't come up to Atlanta is because they felt that it would be better for us to prepare for it as well because it was moving North through GA. They never called helping recovery efforts "unfortunate decisions" they stood by the recovery efforts so quit saying they didn't

LibertyTurns

Banned
I live there also. It was a joke. They had National Guard hanging out at the stadium having BBQs, etc trying to figure out what to do with all their time. The threat/damage was in the Keys, minor isues on the left coast. USF (9/15), UF & FIT (9/16) the Bucs (9/17), etc all played the weekend after Irma went by. UCF panicked & instead of waiting to see if they needed to cancel, they just freaked & made up BS excuses why they couldn’t play.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If that were true you'd know that the campus didn't reopen until two days after we were supposed to play the game, and that they were using Spectrum Stadium as a staging area for the National Guard to help assist victims. I don't ever recall anyone calling doing that an "unfortunate" decision, and part of the reason they didn't come up to Atlanta is because they felt that it would be better for us to prepare for it as well because it was moving North through GA. They never called helping recovery efforts "unfortunate decisions" they stood by the recovery efforts so quit saying they didn't
The bottom line is they ducked a game that could have easily been played.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
The bottom line is they ducked a game that could have easily been played.
They had no idea they were going to have the season they did. I don't think they were "ducking" this game. I don't appreciate the way they did it, but considering I knew people around Central Florida it affected heavily I am just saying that I think they had a right to cancel that game. And I stand by my statement.

Deleted member 2897

False. 90%+ of power outages were fixed within 24 hours. They did not get hurricane force winds. Campus reopened Monday the entire week before our game. Teams resumed practice including the football team - football players were posting pictures from practice to social media. Offers were made to play in another local stadium (there are many options). They declined every offer made.

On Monday, Sept. 11, UCF reopened its residence halls to on-campus students. Food service at 63 South and Knightro’s will resume today.”

Deleted member 2897

They had no idea they were going to have the season they did. I don't think they were "ducking" this game. I don't appreciate the way they did it, but considering I knew people around Central Florida it affected heavily I am just saying that I think they had a right to cancel that game. And I stand by my statement.

Saying they ducked it is indeed a little bit of trolling as they didn’t set out to duck it. The AD explained it all. It was 130mph into the Keys. They thought they were going to get slammed so they let everyone go and didn’t make any contingencies if the storm wasn’t as bad. And that’s what happened. They could have played here, in another stadium, or other options. But the AD said they didn’t think they could get prepared enough to play us. The PR side of it was terrible, because campus was open all week, they were practicing and posting pictures, and so on. They should have sucked it up and just played. You can absolutely play a game missing. 2-3 days of practice for some of the players. It’s not ideal, but you can do it.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
False. 90%+ of power outages were fixed within 24 hours. They did not get hurricane force winds. Campus reopened Monday the entire week before our game. Teams resumed practice including the football team - football players were posting pictures from practice to social media. Offers were made to play in another local stadium (there are many options). They declined every offer made.

On Monday, Sept. 11, UCF reopened its residence halls to on-campus students. Food service at 63 South and Knightro’s will resume today.”

Actually the players did not resume practice until Sept 14th and even then they were still missing players, giving them two days of practice going into the game. central-florida-knights-return-practice-hurricane-irma

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Saying they ducked it is indeed a little bit of trolling as they didn’t set out to duck it. The AD explained it all. It was 130mph into the Keys. They thought they were going to get slammed so they let everyone go and didn’t make any contingencies if the storm wasn’t as bad. And that’s what happened. They could have played here, in another stadium, or other options. But the AD said they didn’t think they could get prepared enough to play us. The PR side of it was terrible, because campus was open all week, they were practicing and posting pictures, and so on. They should have sucked it up and just played. You can absolutely play a game missing. 2-3 days of practice for some of the players. It’s not ideal, but you can do it.
Not prepared to play = expecting to lose, hence ducking the game.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
This conversation has nothing to do with UCF vs GT media in 2020.
Im sorry but I didn't appreciate someone turning a natural disaster that did effect people into a discussion about how cowardice it was for a team to back out. It may not have of affected him but it did affect people, I apologize for this rant, and will let this forum get back on topic, I apologize

Deleted member 2897

Actually the players did not resume practice until Sept 14th and even then they were still missing players, giving them two days of practice going into the game. central-florida-knights-return-practice-hurricane-irma

That was the first formal day of practice. But yes, as the article says, all but 5 players were back. As the AD explained, they could have physically played the game, but didn’t think they had enough time to prepare. It wasn’t storm damage or lack of players or anything else...just wanted a couple more days to prepare that they didn’t have.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Not prepared to play = expecting to lose, hence ducking the game.
Okay so say our 2014 team only had two days to practice for the game against UGA, and we lost, you wouldn't have claimed that it was cause we had two days of practice and they had all week? ....... Yeah that's what I thought

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
That was the first formal day of practice. But yes, as the article says, all but 5 players were back. As the AD explained, they could have physically played the game, but didn’t think they had enough time to prepare. It wasn’t storm damage or lack of players or anything else...just wanted a couple more days to prepare that they didn’t have.
The fact that you had to say "formal practice" exemplifies your ignorance. If this had been Tech against a school you would have felt the same way UCF did

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
"It wasn't storm damage" bud why do you think 40% of the players went home...... cause a storm was coming, it doesn't matter how much damage it did or didn't do

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Okay so say our 2014 team only had two days to practice for the game against UGA, and we lost, you wouldn't have claimed that it was cause we had two days of practice and they had all week? ....... Yeah that's what I thought
Teams regularly play each other after having had different amounts of practice time, I'm not sure what your point is. And sure I might claim that's why we lost, but at least we would have showed up and tried instead of pussing out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
"It wasn't storm damage" bud why do you think 40% of the players went home...... cause a storm was coming, it doesn't matter how much damage it did or didn't do
Northwest of them UF players managed to show up for practice & play Tennessee, west of them USF was able to play Illinois, southeast of them FAU managed to play, northeast of them JU did the same, directly east of them FIT practiced and played. The President’s initial conservative reaction was the same as everyone else. However, he stood out like a sore thumb when he dreamed up every excuse in the book not to play, in other words he found a convenient way to DUCK a tough match up. He got ridiculed then & he’s receiving the same treatment now. Everyone living down here knows what happened and it’s definitely not what UCF was saying & pumping the media to parrot.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I will say that if TStan had a problem with how they handled it, we probably wouldn't be playing them this year. Rationally, I get it.

That said, as a fan, yeah they are weenies.