The Lew Effect

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'm also gonna say this - the 20 reps at 225 count obviously speaks for itself, but the S&C twitter is posting photos of dudes a month or 2 ago not flexed, no secondary lighting, and then comparing it with flexed photos with secondary lighting casting shadows over every muscle and the guys oiled up a month later. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm also gonna say this - the 20 reps at 225 count obviously speaks for itself, but the S&C twitter is posting photos of dudes a month or 2 ago not flexed, no secondary lighting, and then comparing it with flexed photos with secondary lighting casting shadows over every muscle and the guys oiled up a month later. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

I agree with you on the lighting and flexed versus non-flexed photos. Camp and Cotrell we’re two guys that looked like they worked hard and had good genetics, but both of them look even more jacked this year. The lineman (not sure of his name) is more of an indictment of the new strength staff. The before and after pictures are very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nothing better than a call to honesty. Post 60098.

It will be embarrassing to if you are right and its mostly smoke and mirrors.

David Curry says its strength.
Maybe he is being dishonest.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It starts here...

"When the team tested in January, there were seven players who could bench press 225 pounds 20 times or more. When the team tested again Monday, there were 32."

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ngth-gains-lew-effect/jffXWiJip7Tg3xnXiEzYXM/

Good work outs during the "off" season.

That is a net positive of 25 additional 225 lb BPs. Were all 25 returning players or were some of them new recruits/transfers?

Either way, the team is definitely getting stronger.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think the old staff was more about scheme. And scheme alone.

This staff is about EVERY DAY BETTER. Pushing yourself to your limit and kicking that limits azz.

I always felt we were smaller and our players never truly developed under CPJ. I bet if Searcy was under Collins he would of never been made fun of for that picture.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was amazing to see how small our players were compared to the ND players - post game as they exited to visit fans and players.

Also the students stuck around to give them a big cheer.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Nothing better than a call to honesty. Post 60098.

It will be embarrassing to if you are right and its mostly smoke and mirrors.

David Curry says its strength.
Maybe he is being dishonest.

Fake news is fine with me as long as recruits are buying into it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I mean -- like I said, you can't fake the rise in 225lb 20 rep sets unless 1) facts are being misreported 2) they were doing half-reps or something the second time around. You can, however, use several tricks to make progress photos look better. Lighting, oil/sweat, flexing, Photoshop (Morpheus), etc...

I agree with @smokey_wasp on every account.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My only concern is if we are focusing too much on the bodybuilding aspect of this. I read this article a year ago on why bodybuilding is not generally good for athletes. The guy who wrote it was S&C at ASU and had trained NFL players. I'm a runner, not a bodybuilder, so I am no expert, but it does make some sense.

https://www.stack.com/a/are-bodybuilding-workouts-appropriate-for-athletes

Matt E

GT Athlete
My only concern is if we are focusing too much on the bodybuilding aspect of this. I read this article a year ago on why bodybuilding is not generally good for athletes. The guy who wrote it was S&C at ASU and had trained NFL players. I'm a runner, not a bodybuilder, so I am no expert, but it does make some sense.

Not sure if you have seen the videos online, but Lew doesn’t have our guys doing focus body building stuff. A more likely scenario is we have been small and weak for years and Lew is actually doing a hell of a job catching us up. I suspect over the next few years we will see it on the field. It will transition from “dang we look small compared to xyz team” to looking comparable.

Do you guys realize how bad it is that only 7 guys could do 225 20 times? This is so bad it just blows my mind. Perhaps we were just weak and are getting where we need to be. Lew just won strength coach of the year, I’ll trust him

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure if you have seen the videos online, but Lew doesn’t have our guys doing focus body building stuff. A more likely scenario is we have been small and weak for years and Lew is actually doing a hell of a job catching us up. I suspect over the next few years we will see it on the field. It will transition from “dang we look small compared to xyz team” to looking comparable.

Do you guys realize how bad it is that only 7 guys could do 225 20 times? This is so bad it just blows my mind. Perhaps we were just weak and are getting where we need to be. Lew just won strength coach of the year, I’ll trust him

Again, I am no expert, but generally football players, even professional ones, are not nearly as chiseled as what is seen in these photos. I agree with your assessment on the number of guys hitting 20 reps, but I also know that was in Feb, at the beginning of spring practice, after the seniors left and before we got the new guys. I am not sure how much that affected the numbers, but I know it does some. The article even said Camp was hitting 18 reps in Feb, which wasn't far off, so it's not like everyone was necessarily woefully understrength either.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I generally agree with this (I have never played line but my understanding is that there are very few pulling motions while playing so biceps/hamstrings are completely useless muscles for football), but if our offensive linemen are going to engage their pectorals, triceps, and quadriceps and push defensive linemen and linebackers backwards instead of being overpowered, I am all in on the strength training. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about engaged muscles and techniques for playing lineman.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I generally agree with this (I have never played line but my understanding is that there are very few pulling motions while playing so biceps/hamstrings are completely useless muscles for football), but if our offensive linemen are going to engage their pectorals, triceps, and quadriceps and push defensive linemen and linebackers backwards instead of being overpowered, I am all in on the strength training.

I can agree with that. Like I said, I remembered reading that article last year and posed the question. I am not sold that either side is right or wrong.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I can agree with that. Like I said, I remembered reading that article last year and posed the question. I am not sold that either side is right or wrong.
For other positions, it definitely makes less sense. I couldn't care less if Nathan Cottrell is built - I really just want him to be explosive, run good routes, and catch the ball (and not get injured when he takes hits). Extra fat and muscle mass would theoretically just slow him down.

There is something to be said for the confidence that building muscle mass gives you though. I would love for our linemen to look 30 yards down the field during warmups 90 minutes before the first kick and say: "these guys are tiny, let's push 'em around at will." Confidence, preparation and belief that you are bigger and better (the mental aspect in general) plays more of a role in football than any other sport. I want our guys to do their stretches and warmups 3o yards away and scare the ever-living **** out of our opponents. Make them doubt themselves as they sit in the locker room for the next hour. Honestly, I would be surprised if our guys haven't been in that position looking across the field pre-game at UGA and Clemson the last few years.