The Late Kick showing GT some love...again.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I never understood why our athletic board thought we could recruit for the triple option.

We tend to look at things with the benefit of hindsight. I and a lot of others were intrigued by what running a unique system would do for the school and thought that we could get enough of the "one off" recruits that might fit our system particularly well. The JT who wanted to play QB. The "too short" lineman like Shaq that were overlooked by the factories. The Orwin Smiths who did not have a ton of offers iirc.

Also, the thinking was that because of his experience at GaSo he would have connections into the Georgia HS pipelines that would pay big dividends.We know how it turned out now but I didn't think we all expected it to end exactly like it did. But it was not foreseeable. Just like the final outcome for CGC is not. It is a shame that CPJ was handcuffed by the school but, as they say, iiwii.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We tend to look at things with the benefit of hindsight. I and a lot of others were intrigued by what running a unique system would do for the school and thought that we could get enough of the "one off" recruits that might fit our system particularly well. The JT who wanted to play QB. The "too short" lineman like Shaq that were overlooked by the factories. The Orwin Smiths who did not have a ton of offers iirc.

Also, the thinking was that because of his experience at GaSo he would have connections into the Georgia HS pipelines that would pay big dividends.We know how it turned out now but I didn't think we all expected it to end exactly like it did. But it was not foreseeable. Just like the final outcome for CGC is not. It is a shame that CPJ was handcuffed by the school but, as they say, iiwii.
I don't think his GSU days played into the decision to hire Paul much. It was his success at Navy, another school with weird requirements and high standards. That's why I liked the hire at the time; Paul was used to recruiting players who fit a system offense and would come to a school with a limited curriculum. And, at least on offense, that sure did work. (Btw, you missed Dedrick Mills. If he hadn't been kicked out, Paul would still be coach.) On D … we got higher ranked players and couldn't do much with them. The new regime has sure reversed that equation!

But now we've decided to recruit with everyone else. And we've had success: a great class last year and a "Wisconsin-style" (mid to high 30s) class so far this year with possibilities for better. I can live with that and we can win with it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let it go! Collins is the town sheriff now, stay positive!
I was standing in a room with most of the faculty at my old college one day listening to a conversation between our development guy and one of my colleagues. She was saying that she had doubts about one of the many new programs our schools had started. The development guy went a bit off and said, "You're a buzz-killer! A buzz-killer!" He said this like he was accusing her of being an ax murderer.

I intervened and asked him to look around the room and tell me what he saw. "The faculty," he said. "No." I replied, "What you see is a room full of buzz-killers. We were educated to be buzz-killers. You should be happy about that because teaching students to be analytic about our subjects is what we are selling." He calmed down and said I was right.

And that's the dilemma I'm facing with some here. I'm a trained buzz-killer. It's been my job for a long time and I'm actually pretty good at it. That makes me automatically suspicious when I hear people saying that things are going great when the evidence isn't in that they are. Staying positive is something I'm also pretty good at; when I see a reason to get behind something, I do it whole hog. My problem is that I've seen 4 wins so far out of our new program and now read (look above) people saying that Tech is going to be in contention for national championships regularly. Sorry, Charlie. If they were saying contending for (and winning) ACC championships and an occasional shot at the CFP, then I'd agree; we've already reached that plateau and only 6 years ago. But … I can't see anything yet that says we're headed in that direction. Maybe so, maybe not.

That's being positive. And realistic.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My problem is that I've seen 4 wins so far out of our new program and now read (look above) people saying that Tech is going to be in contention for national championships regularly.
Literally nobody is saying that
If they were saying contending for (and winning) ACC championships and an occasional shot at the CFP, then I'd agree; we've already reached that plateau and only 6 years ago.
This is what everyone is saying. But where everyone else’s opinion and yours differ is that everyone else thinks that “plateau” can be the norm, and not an outlier.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
PJ was so good in the offense that he probably would string 7-8 wins per year based on his expertise in the offense. But without better skill position players, getting beyond that level was going to happen infrequently. The biggest issue with PJ was the defense. Pollack (I know quoting a GA guy) when he was a local sports broadcaster said GT was never going to be good at defense because their Scout QBs and WRs were far below the talent of their opposition in running passing oriented offense. So you saw a bend and not break philosophy because they didn't have the skills they needed against the majority of offenses they were playing. Not through a fault of recruiting or attempts by the scout team but just significant drop off in the level of talent for they style of offenses they were going to see. So to be a truly elite team, you have to be good on both sides of the ball and I just don't think the 3O afforded us that opportunity. Now whether GC can achieve that is still unknown. But at least it provides us an opportunity if he can continue to recruit at a high level and get Coordinators who can scheme effectively which is obviously not known yet either.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Literally nobody is saying that

This is what everyone is saying. But where everyone else’s opinion and yours differ is that everyone else thinks that “plateau” can be the norm, and not an outlier.
!. And I quote:
"The idea is johnson was never going to win us a national championship.
The mentality around some that call us a sleeping giant is that not only will we win one, but multiple. That we will take clemsons place. Ive heard 3 different times from different sources that if we improve every year and can stay in the top 20 in recruiting in the future that we should expect multiple playoff appearances.

Thats where we BELONG."
Enough said. This was on the first page of this thread, btw, in reply to my first post.

2. Admittedly, the contending for the ACC part is not an outlier; we've done that pretty regularly and I don't see any reason why we can't keep doing so, provided the coaches prove up to it. Getting to the CFP regularly, however, might be more of a stretch. On this, we'll see. Let's hope you are right.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It’s so funny to read these post:

Now we’re discounting the FSU win? All last week, It was about FSU talent and how their OL will overmatch us. Now it’s UCF being pegged as the measure stick since FSU is a dumpster fire? Y’all are something else.

If you want to know why CPJ is no longer GT coach and coaching period,then look no further than the post on the thread. Every post reads CPJ offense, not CPJ TEAMS! The best part about Saturday was the balanced attack. ST was horrendous but CGC took full ownership of it and It will get fixed. This is the biggest reason I believe we will be perennial coastal/ACC contenders

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It’s so funny to read these post:

Now we’re discounting the FSU win? All last week, It was about FSU talent and how their OL will overmatch us. Now it’s UCF being pegged as the measure stick since FSU is a dumpster fire? Y’all are something else.

If you want to know why CPJ is no longer GT coach and coaching period,then look no further than the post on the thread. Every post reads CPJ offense, not CPJ TEAMS! The best part about Saturday was the balanced attack. ST was horrendous but CGC took full ownership of it and It will get fixed. This is the biggest reason I believe we will be perennial coastal/ACC contenders
It's been a long time since I've had confidence in the defense to win us a game and they certainly did that with the performance in the second half.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The post you want people to find has nothing to do with what was quoted. You can literally look up the board a few posts and find someone lamenting that CGC might be getting resources that CPJ didn't and he would rather see what CPJ could have done with those resources than the coach he is singularly unimpressed with. You would think someone would be excited for the program that we've now committed more resources, but nope, they're sad for a past coach.
Reading comprehension. I never said that. I said I would have liked to see what CPJ could have done. But I then said "But that is in the past now" So nothing I said indicates I would rather have CPJ today over Collins. I want the best for Tech and I want Collins to be very succesful. Much better than CPJ. If he can learn how to be a good head coach then his ceiling is much higher than CPJ. Maybe Dumpster Fire was too strong of a comment about FSU. They have a huge amount of talent. But they are in a tranistion right now and are not very good. Just like us last year getting beat by Ball State.

A good team is both coaching and talent.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So we can like stuff can’t not like it? Voting a post down is oppressing?
If voting down is like Reddit, yeah, I think it is. If it is just a frowny face then fine. There's one over there :mad:. But if by down-voting it causes others to not see the POV then I do think it's mob mentality to keep others from being challenged by ideas you don't like.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Reading comprehension. I never said that. I said I would have liked to see what CPJ could have done. But I then said "But that is in the past now" So nothing I said indicates I would rather have CPJ today over Collins. I want the best for Tech and I want Collins to be very succesful. Much better than CPJ. If he can learn how to be a good head coach then his ceiling is much higher than CPJ.

I was taking the totality of your posts so maybe your opinion has changed a little bit. But when Collins was first hired you were so negative about how it was the end of GT football, etc.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
One last thought on CPJ. It felt like it was time for a change when he kept Womack around and did not find quality replacement coaches Monken and Niumatalolo when they left.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I was taking the totality of your posts so maybe your opinion has changed a little bit. But when Collins was first hired you were so negative about how it was the end of GT football, etc.
You may be confusing me with someone else. Let me explain my thought process again. I was in a holding pattern for Collins, just like the other head coaches. I wanted him to say what his plans were and how he was going to be successful. But all he would say is we are going to be different and not do the 3O. Fine but tell us how and way you can succeed. Give me something to buy into. He came across like selling snake oil. Even now I see his plan to recruit but not how he will run his O and D to give us an advantage.

Until other things change with the school you cant do the same things that Alabama and Clemson are doing and expect to be competitive recruiting and playing. we need something. Some kind of schematic advantage to try and compensate some. Or we will only be able to reach CPJ levels of success or not even that.

So I am still waiting. But I am liking the change on D. But I have seen so many years were we are a D team or an O team. I am ready to be good at both consistently.

All I want to see is communications on what your plan is from a coaching perspective. Other than recruiting. I dont need to see results

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I love all of our coaches (except for He Who Must Not Be Named, of course.) They all bring something to the party, are part of the Tech family, and I get tired of all the crap dumped on them. I'm not saying we should keep them around forever or that it isn't time for change at some point. But why do we have to go with all the hate for them? I don't get it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
!. And I quote:
"The idea is johnson was never going to win us a national championship.
The mentality around some that call us a sleeping giant is that not only will we win one, but multiple. That we will take clemsons place. Ive heard 3 different times from different sources that if we improve every year and can stay in the top 20 in recruiting in the future that we should expect multiple playoff appearances.

Thats where we BELONG."
Enough said. This was on the first page of this thread, btw, in reply to my first post.

2. Admittedly, the contending for the ACC part is not an outlier; we've done that pretty regularly and I don't see any reason why we can't keep doing so, provided the coaches prove up to it. Getting to the CFP regularly, however, might be more of a stretch. On this, we'll see. Let's hope you are right.
That’s the only person I’ve seen say anything about taking Clemson’s place. Nobody else has said that. Nobody else thinks that Tech will turn into some perennial powerhouse that’s in the CFP every year. That’s not even what the Late Kick guy who made the video this thread was originally referring to said. Sleeping giant doesn’t mean the next Alabama. It means a nationally relevant team.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If voting down is like Reddit, yeah, I think it is. If it is just a frowny face then fine. There's one over there :mad:. But if by down-voting it causes others to not see the POV then I do think it's mob mentality to keep others from being challenged by ideas you don't like.
I have no idea what you’re going on about here. It’s a simple concept..,a thumbs up (like) or a thumb down. In what world would a thumbs down keep others from seeing a POV or being challenged by said POV? Why is “like” the only option?