The Late Kick showing GT some love...again.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
1. Dude, if you think the numbers you gave here are "very average for a P5 program", I'd strongly advise you to take another look at P5 programs. Here are winning percentages for P5 programs for the last 5 years:

Take a look; I'll still be here. Doesn't make Tech look so bad, does it? Even at 50%, Tech is right at the half way point for P5 winning percentages. That's "average", admittedly, but the schools in the lower half - like, say, the bottom 7 teams in the SEC - would kill to get there.

2. I hope people are right about having greater success. I hope Collins can lead us to it. Perhaps we can get to the level of Wisconsin or Washington; they've both done it with 30-ish recruiting classes. But … I continue to be doubtful that we can do it consistently enough to reach the goals many here seem to think can happen. We'll see.

3. Actually, I think that many here didn't think Paul was a good coach. I heard continual gripping about how we "Couldn't recruit. Couldn't win. Couldn't pass. Couldn't do as well as <your favorite perennial top 25 team here>." This happened even after 2014, largely because of the injury sunami of 2015. There was audible disappointment among some here when we rebounded for 9 wins in 2016. It showed up even more in 2018 when the team lost its starting BB for the second straight year and lost three straight. When they picked themselves off the floor, won 7 (including against Da U and UVA) , and went to a bowl, we had posts here saying they didn't deserve a bowl game. I think the reason for that was that some feared that Paul would survive as head coach.

But that's that. He's gone and we have to hope that Collins will prove to be as good in the long term. Despite some snipping above, I continue to hope he will do as well or better.
Why do we keep having to go back over this?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Gee, I get tired of this. You'd think that Paul had a really lousy record at Tech instead of what he did do here.

Sooooooo … is he right? Is Tech a "sleeping giant"? And is Collins the coach to prove it? Well, maybe. But to make the "sleeping giant" part come true Tech must do something it hasn't done yet and probably won't: lower academic standards. We can get good scholar-athletes at Tech; we've been doing it for years. But the real question is can we get enough of them at current standards to contend regularly in the ACC (yes, we were doing that already) and get ranked in the top 25 every year (probably not). If we can get back to the sort of records we had under Paul, then Collins will be a success, provided the fanatics around here are satisfied. Frankly, that's what I'm expecting and I hope Collins can deliver on it.

Then it'll be up to the folks who want us to beat Clemson every other year.
Let it go! Collins is the town sheriff now, stay positive!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
LOL!!! A post about somebody from outside the program calling GT a sleeping a giant is being shouted down by supposed GT fans. If you want to know GT's biggest hurdle... look in the mirror.

I've been reminded why I come to this board less and less.
It’s truly wild to see. So many people have said we could become potentially a powerhouse. A good bit of people seem to think it’s possible, and ironically, a majority of our fan base thinks it’s impossible.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
And a lot of our fans are fatally asshurt at the very idea that CGC could possibly accomplish something that CPJ Could not.

Jesus Christ, do you live in a completely made up world? That could not be farther from the truth. I have been singularly unimpressed with the transiton so far. I do admit that I would really like to see what Johnson could have done with the kind of support and resources that Collins is getting. We would have been in the BCS and really talked about. But that is in the past now

But I want nothing more than to see Tech get back to where Johnson had us. Then if Collins can pull it off to exceed what Johnson was able to do. When I see he knows what he is doing from a coaching perspective I will be all in with my time and money. I do see the progress the Defense has made and I was very impressed with the way our OL played last week. But I still think FSU is a dumpster fire and very glad for the win and to shove it up the ACC prediction idiots. Looking forward to seeing how we do this weekend, probably a much better indication of our progress. I still thought the play calling was fairly predictable and I dont think the OC will end up making the cut.

Our new QB is the real deal and can cover up a lot of OC faults.

For me I am waiting to see if Collins can be like Dabo or just another clown who can recruit but is over is head from a coaching perspective. There are a lot of good recruiters, but good coaches are hard to find.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Jesus Christ, do you live in a completely made up world? That could not be farther from the truth. I have been singularly unimpressed with the transiton so far. I do admit that I would really like to see what Johnson could have done with the kind of support and resources that Collins is getting. We would have been in the BCS and really talked about. But that is in the past now

But I want nothing more than to see Tech get back to where Johnson had us. Then if Collins can pull it off to exceed what Johnson was able to do. When I see he knows what he is doing from a coaching perspective I will be all in with my time and money. I do see the progress the Defense has made and I was very impressed with the way our OL played last week. But I still think FSU is a dumpster fire and very glad for the win and to shove it up the ACC prediction idiots. Looking forward to seeing how we do this weekend, probably a much better indication of our progress. I still thought the play calling was fairly predictable and I dont think the OC will end up making the cut.

For me I am waiting to see if Collins can be like Dabo or just another clown who can recruit but is over is head from a coaching perspective. There are a lot of good recruiters, but good coaches are hard to find.
Your opening statement alone makes you seem like “one of those fans.”

Juice Thread Only

slugboy

Staff member
Academics is probably not our biggest hurdle. Cash is. If we get into the top 35 programs by revenue, then I don't think we'd hear academics as much.
Here's the USA Today NCAA AD Revenue Database.
We're #50. For comparison: Clemson is #22. West Virginia is #40. UNC is 36. Rutgers is #39. Even moving up 10 spots would do amazing things.
Unfortunately, it's missing some private schools like Duke and Stanford, etc.

A couple of deep pocketed grads would be a major sea change. Small donations help, and you need a combination, but big money can make a big difference.

ETA: What Jacket4Life says above about kids buying in is a big part of it. Get more excitement around the program and the money flows, and then more kids are interested, rinse-lather-and-repeat, and you get in a cycle of moving up and up and up.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Herein lies the myth.PJ didn’t recruit a different the type of player, a different type of athlete just committed here. To think one second that CPJ didn’t recruit the 6’5 300lb lineman or the Gibbs/Jamious (who committed to NCST bc of the offense) are delusional! He and many other believed the system was bigger than the players and it showed. 2014 was great but are cmon are we going to Ignore 13 & 15? He was good coach but he didn’t turn water into wine. There’s a reason why his best yrs included 7+ NFL players on it each

The truth of ibeeballin's post is proven by the fact that Johnson's two best back to back years were 2008-2009. Those players were recruited by Gailey for a different offense.

Offensive linemen don't want to cut block every play. RB's want to be feature backs. QB's want to pass the ball. WR's want to catch the ball. That's the main reason recruiting suffered.

The triple option has always worked. Alabama, Texas, OU etc used to run it, but they started having trouble recruiting for it because the NFL doesn't run it. You still have to have talented players, no matter the offensive scheme. I never understood why our athletic board thought we could recruit for the triple option.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow

Give it some time and you will see what this coaching staff can do. Start tallying your labor hours now and get ready to pull out your wallet!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

We really need a down vote option.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
And a lot of our fans are fatally asshurt at the very idea that CGC could possibly accomplish something that CPJ Could not.

Literally nobody is. “A lot.” Find me one post anywhere on this board where a Tech fan says CGC cannot elevate the program from where it’s been the last decade and I’ll never post the letters “CPJ” in that order on this board ever again.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Media: Tech has a lot of potential
Tech fan 1: Yeah!!!
Tech fan 2: dam straight!!!
Tf1: Love me some CGC!
Tf2: The juice floweth!
Tf1: He can recruit a nun to a strip club!
Tf2: Praise Jesus!
Tf1: Not like that last coach!
Tf2: Why are we crapping on him?
Tf1: WHY DO YOU HATE CGC CANT YOU JUST BE A TECH FAN GET ON BOARD OR GET OUT CHOOOO CHOOOO

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Literally nobody is. “A lot.” Find me one post anywhere on this board where a Tech fan says CGC cannot elevate the program from where it’s been the last decade and I’ll never post the letters “CPJ” in that order on this board ever again.

The post you want people to find has nothing to do with what was quoted. You can literally look up the board a few posts and find someone lamenting that CGC might be getting resources that CPJ didn't and he would rather see what CPJ could have done with those resources than the coach he is singularly unimpressed with. You would think someone would be excited for the program that we've now committed more resources, but nope, they're sad for a past coach.