The Late Kick showing GT some love...again.

LibertyTurns

Banned
At what point does everyone acknowledge we’re not going to change the past? The only thing you can affect is the future. That record’s yet to be written And no like every year we don‘t like you don’t get to asterisk your record. It’s like saying Chairman Mao’s a great guy except all the people he slaughtered.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the fight on PJ and GC is at this point nuts. PJ recruited a different type of athlete to run the 3O which would not be rated as high as the recruits GC needs to run a more traditional offense. That doesn't make either wrong, just very different. PJ recruited smaller, quicker linemen to help with the run game. He also needed QBs who could run the 3O but wouldn't be pocket oriented passers GC needs much bigger linemen to help with consistent pass protection. In terms of skill positions, again different needs. PJ recruited to his system, not necessarily people who fit the mold to get to the NFL. GC is recruiting people in more traditional schemes which possibly can translate to the next level. The key to me is maximizing the success level of the players you recruit to fit your schemes to win games. PJ was good at that (not great, but good). GC will need to prove it over the next few years and I really hope he does.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What I’m afraid of is alienating the former players from the last decade. I saw a post from Jamal Golden taking offense to the broadcast team in 1Q against FSU saying STTE of “CGC is recruiting a different caliber of athlete than CPJ did.” Jamal called BS and mentioned he’d put the 2014 Tech team up against any other Tech team.

I do not support a narrative that throws former Tech players under the bus. CGC has done a pretty good job of avoiding this by emphasizing the transition of systems - not players. CPJ players stood toe to toe with essentially everybody outside of uga and Clemson (after they started paying).

The era is done and we have CGC at the helm. I can be on board and still say frick anybody that throws shade on any former Tech player/coach.
I mean I agree with Jamal, I would put the 2014 team against any other team in tech history, they were nasty.

With that being said it was only one year and the next 4 from CPJ were anything but great

slugboy

Staff member
I mean I agree with Jamal, I would put the 2014 team against any other team in tech history, they were nasty.

With that being said it was only one year and the next 4 from CPJ were anything but great
I don’t think there’s a way to do a fan poll bracket, and the younger members wouldn’t vote for anybody back before the 90’s. A lot don’t even know O’Leary’s days. It might be fun to do it that way.
I think the 2009 team would give them a headache. Those guys were tough.
The 2004-2006 teams were great—Megatron, a punishing defense, but Nix as OC and QB coach and Gailey as game manager.
1996-2001 teams I’d put up against a ton of teams today. As much as I like
1990, obviously. The offense was as good as any from 1996-2001, but they also had a defense that would knock your head off.
Then there’s a gap before you get back to the glory days (before my time).

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Pretty easy to break down Johnson's 11 years:

2008-2009: Very good years, with Gailey's recruits
2010-2013: Mediocre
2014: Very good year
2015-2018: Mediocre. 2015 was terrible and 2016 was decent, but balance out to mediocre.

Poor AD leadership was part of the problem. Despite the public spin, I don't believe Johnson would have lasted 11 years under the current administration.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think the fight on PJ and GC is at this point nuts. PJ recruited a different type of athlete to run the 3O which would not be rated as high as the recruits GC needs to run a more traditional offense. That doesn't make either wrong, just very different. PJ recruited smaller, quicker linemen to help with the run game. He also needed QBs who could run the 3O but wouldn't be pocket oriented passers GC needs much bigger linemen to help with consistent pass protection. In terms of skill positions, again different needs. PJ recruited to his system, not necessarily people who fit the mold to get to the NFL. GC is recruiting people in more traditional schemes which possibly can translate to the next level. The key to me is maximizing the success level of the players you recruit to fit your schemes to win games. PJ was good at that (not great, but good). GC will need to prove it over the next few years and I really hope he does.
Herein lies the myth.PJ didn’t recruit a different the type of player, a different type of athlete just committed here. To think one second that CPJ didn’t recruit the 6’5 300lb lineman or the Gibbs/Jamious (who committed to NCST bc of the offense) are delusional! He and many other believed the system was bigger than the players and it showed. 2014 was great but are cmon are we going to Ignore 13 & 15? He was good coach but he didn’t turn water into wine. There’s a reason why his best yrs included 7+ NFL players on it each

Last edited:

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Get Along GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Guys like this kinda annoy me to be honest. Here is a clip of me a year ago making a prediction that hasn't come true yet but im going to show it anyways to prove how smart I am. If we win 9 games he will show this clip a year from now. If we struggle we will never hear him talk about us again. Its just lazy hot take analysis.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
We should be happy about the hype and the fact 8-18 year old ball players are thinking about the 404 and the ATL and wearing Adidas uniforms.

I have no idea where the program is going but I have witnessed one remarkable fact. Our current coach landed 4 star running backs from Georgia during the first two recruiting cycles while Paul landed zero during his time here. If you can’t appreciate this culture change and rebrand, you need to ask yourself why a coach who had a great history of producing 1k yard backs couldn’t attract great backs to his system. And yes we offered a ton of 4 star guys during those years.
I always complained when the narrative surrounding PJs program was often negative and at best half true. I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when the new narrative is half true but positive.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Guys like this kinda annoy me to be honest. Here is a clip of me a year ago making a prediction that hasn't come true yet but im going to show it anyways to prove how smart I am. If we win 9 games he will show this clip a year from now. If we struggle we will never hear him talk about us again. Its just lazy hot take analysis.
Nah. It’s juice.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
The recruiting is probably even going to have to go up another notch somehow if we really are going to become a sleeping giant. Right now the program looks to be projecting at a ceiling that was similar to CPJ's best years.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
The recruiting is probably even going to have to go up another notch somehow if we really are going to become a sleeping giant. Right now the program looks to be projecting at a ceiling that was similar to CPJ's best years.
best years or best year?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gee, I get tired of this. You'd think that Paul had a really lousy record at Tech instead of what he did do here.

Sooooooo … is he right? Is Tech a "sleeping giant"? And is Collins the coach to prove it? Well, maybe. But to make the "sleeping giant" part come true Tech must do something it hasn't done yet and probably won't: lower academic standards. We can get good scholar-athletes at Tech; we've been doing it for years. But the real question is can we get enough of them at current standards to contend regularly in the ACC (yes, we were doing that already) and get ranked in the top 25 every year (probably not). If we can get back to the sort of records we had under Paul, then Collins will be a success, provided the fanatics around here are satisfied. Frankly, that's what I'm expecting and I hope Collins can deliver on it.

Then it'll be up to the folks who want us to beat Clemson every other year.

I liked Paul Johnson. He was an excellent offensive coach, but he was at best an average recruiter with average assistance coaches. Collins can recruit very well. To be a winner, he needs very good assistance coaches and keep team morale high.

At least IMHO, academic standards are more likely to be raised than to be lowered. I think there is a niche for us to be better than we have been, more like a Notre Dame or Stanford.

I think beating Clemson consistently will be tough. Swinney is an excellent recruiter with very few obstacles. He has managed to hire good coaches and maintain team discipline. Our best bet is he goes to Alabama after Sabin retires.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Swinney is an excellent recruiter with very few obstacles. He has managed to hire good coaches and maintain team discipline. Our best bet is he goes to Alabama after Sabin retires.

I don't think he ever goes to Alabama even if it is his alma mater. He has built Clemson to where it is as good a job as Bama (if not better) and he would just be another in a long line of great coaches there. At Clemson, he has replaced Danny Ford and Frank Howard as their version of the Bear.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't think he ever goes to Alabama even if it is his alma mater. He has built Clemson to where it is as good a job as Bama (if not better) and he would just be another in a long line of great coaches there. At Clemson, he has replaced Danny Ford and Frank Howard as their version of the Bear.
I keep thinking the same thing could be true about CGC, if he really does turn into a similar success story to Dabo here.

[**** THIS IS ENTIRELY PREMATURE AND JUST MESSAGE BOARD SPECULATION SO DON'T @me ABOUT HOW THAT IS A DIFFERENT SCENARIO AND YABBA DABBO DO... I KNOW AND I AM NOT MAKING A CASE YET THAT HE IS. JUST SAYING IF HE GROWS INTO THAT FOR US. ****]

If we get there, I would think it will be on the back of a good few years before excellent. So - I would hope we will be in a position and inclined to make it worth his and his assistants' time to $tick around. 💰💰💰💰

That is the best news about Clemson having done what they have - it shows us the blueprint, now we gotta just hope that we found the diamond in the rough they did.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is the best news about Clemson having done what they have - it shows us the blueprint, now we gotta just hope that we found the diamond in the rough they did.

There was a time when people scoffed at FSU, Oregon,UF, Miami or Clemson as ever being serious football schools. And that has been in my lifetime. All it takes is commitment, will power and finding the right people. So, I do not see your post or version as ludicrous although some will.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Our second best bet is Brent Venables leaves. Alabama has been a good source for Clemson coaches, both Danny Ford and Frank Howard are Tide alumni. Our big hurdle is finding enough smart football players.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our second best bet is Brent Venables leaves. Alabama has been a good source for Clemson coaches, both Danny Ford and Frank Howard are Tide alumni. Our big hurdle is finding enough smart football players.

I don't think the issue has been in locating them...it is in persuading them to come to GT. This is what we are hoping is happening under the current AD and staff.