The Late Kick showing GT some love...again.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Someone started a thread about podcasts earlier and this one came to mind. But it isn’t GT only, but still a really good podcast.
I can honestly say he was the first person I heard to say he thinks GT would be a potential powerhouse. He said what he thinks needed to happen, and Coach Collins is doing just that.

nice to see us getting some love. We win more, we will get more of it. I could get used to it honestly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Gee, I get tired of this. You'd think that Paul had a really lousy record at Tech instead of what he did do here.

Sooooooo … is he right? Is Tech a "sleeping giant"? And is Collins the coach to prove it? Well, maybe. But to make the "sleeping giant" part come true Tech must do something it hasn't done yet and probably won't: lower academic standards. We can get good scholar-athletes at Tech; we've been doing it for years. But the real question is can we get enough of them at current standards to contend regularly in the ACC (yes, we were doing that already) and get ranked in the top 25 every year (probably not). If we can get back to the sort of records we had under Paul, then Collins will be a success, provided the fanatics around here are satisfied. Frankly, that's what I'm expecting and I hope Collins can deliver on it.

Then it'll be up to the folks who want us to beat Clemson every other year.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Gee, I get tired of this. You'd think that Paul had a really lousy record at Tech instead of what he did do here.

Sooooooo … is he right? Is Tech a "sleeping giant"? And is Collins the coach to prove it? Well, maybe. But to make the "sleeping giant" part come true Tech must do something it hasn't done yet and probably won't: lower academic standards. We can get good scholar-athletes at Tech; we've been doing it for years. But the real question is can we get enough of them at current standards to contend regularly in the ACC (yes, we were doing that already) and get ranked in the top 25 every year (probably not). If we can get back to the sort of records we had under Paul, then Collins will be a success, provided the fanatics around here are satisfied. Frankly, that's what I'm expecting and I hope Collins can deliver on it.

Dude. You’re with us at this point, or you’re not. No one is considering lowering academic standards. We can win, and be good at playing “our school is elite in academics too”. It isn’t impossible as much as you seem to want it to be.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Thing is, I don’t want the records we had with Johnson. Yeah we had some good years, but what was his overall W-L ratio? 0.58, only 7 wins.

As innovative and exciting as his teams were, I believe we’re capable of so much more. I understand we weren’t exactly a pushover under Johnson, but except for a few odd years, we were far from relevant.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
What I’m afraid of is alienating the former players from the last decade. I saw a post from Jamal Golden taking offense to the broadcast team in 1Q against FSU saying STTE of “CGC is recruiting a different caliber of athlete than CPJ did.” Jamal called BS and mentioned he’d put the 2014 Tech team up against any other Tech team.

I do not support a narrative that throws former Tech players under the bus. CGC has done a pretty good job of avoiding this by emphasizing the transition of systems - not players. CPJ players stood toe to toe with essentially everybody outside of uga and Clemson (after they started paying).

The era is done and we have CGC at the helm. I can be on board and still say frick anybody that throws shade on any former Tech player/coach.

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

The idea is johnson was never going to win us a national championship.
The mentality around some that call us a sleeping giant is that not only will we win one, but multiple. That we will take clemsons place. Ive heard 3 different times from different sources that if we improve every year and can stay in the top 20 in recruiting in the future that we should expect multiple playoff appearances.

Thats where we BELONG.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

:rolleyes:
Here we go. But I’ll play.
CPJ averaged 7.8 wins at Tech
He won 8 or more games 5 times in 11 years
He won 7 or fewer games 6 times in 11 years
He went 3-6 in bowl games
He went 1-1 in the ACCCG
He went 51-37 in ACC play
His teams finished the season ranked 3 times

Those are very average numbers for a P5 program. I’d be willing to be that Tech was among the most average P5 programs in the country over PJs tenure. Most of PJs biggest years happened early in his tenure, as we all know. 3 of his 5 8+ win seasons occurred in the first 4 years of his tenure. 3 of his 6 <=7 win seasons occurred in the last 4.

If we only judged PJ on his first 7 years as HC, then yeah, it’s fair to say that achieving that level of success would be adequate for what Collins was hired to do. But if you look at PJs entire body of work, it was pretty unimpressive.

What Late Kick, and many others, believe is that while PJs first 7 years were solid and made GT somewhat relevant, those 7 years can become the norm for GT. Playing in the ACCCG, finishing the year ranked, beating UGA, spending multiple weeks per year in the Top 25, playing in NY6 games.... those can be achieved much more regularly than a couple times every 11 years.

I don’t think anybody is expecting GT to become the next Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. But many think that GT can get to the level of places like Auburn, Michigan State, Washington, Wisconsin, Utah, etc. Places that are regularly ranked, challenge their bigger rivals, play for conference championships, and have an outside shot to get into the CFP every year. Recruiting in the top 20 consistently is a very achievable goal. I don’t think Tech will ever recruit in the Top 7 or so, but a great class can get to the 8-15 range. The 2022 class has potential to get that range.

The point is, nobody is saying CPJ wasn't a great coach, or didn’t do great things at Tech. I wish people would get that out of their heads. The point is that CPJ’s most successful years are attainable on a consistent basis, and not sporadically over a decade or so.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What I’m afraid of is alienating the former players from the last decade. I saw a post from Jamal Golden taking offense to the broadcast team in 1Q against FSU saying STTE of “CGC is recruiting a different caliber of athlete than CPJ did.” Jamal called BS and mentioned he’d put the 2014 Tech team up against any other Tech team.

I do not support a narrative that throws former Tech players under the bus. CGC has done a pretty good job of avoiding this by emphasizing the transition of systems - not players. CPJ players stood toe to toe with essentially everybody outside of uga and Clemson (after they started paying).

The era is done and we have CGC at the helm. I can be on board and still say frick anybody that throws shade on any former Tech player/coach.

I mean the truth hurts. You and others echo the same sentiments that CPJ recruited different type of athletes for his system so I’m not sure why it’s so painful when announcers echo the same thing the fan base does.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The guy is taking about us entering Clemson's tier down the road, at least to regularly challenge them for ACC supremacy. That's territory no program in the conference has been in more than once or twice much less consistently. We were there once (2014), and Clemson as a program has lapped themselves from where they were at then as well. Who knows if that's CGC's true destination. But if it is it's materially better than the best of CPJ.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The guy is taking about us entering Clemson's tier down the road, at least to regularly challenge them for ACC supremacy. That's territory no program in the conference has been in more than once or twice much less consistently. We were there once (2014), and Clemson as a program has lapped themselves from where they were at then as well. Who knows if that's CGC's true destination. But if it is it's materially better than the best of CPJ.
He said the ACC has been, “Clemson, and who’s gonna take that number 2 spot and eventually challenge them.” That is not entering Clemson’s tier. That’s entering Wisconsin’s tier compared to Ohio State. Or Auburn compared to Alabama. Or Texas compared to Oklahoma. Or Utah compared to Oregon. Which is what I said earlier. No one expects GT to be on Clemson’s level consistently. That’s not realistic based on numerous factors. But challenging Clemson, and being competitive with them is well within reach.

In my opinion, the top level of college football has 3 tiers.

The first tier is teams who expect to compete for a national championship every year
  • Alabama
  • Clemson
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Ohio State
The next tier are teams who expect to compete for conference championships every year, with a realistic shot at winning the natty
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • Auburn
  • LSU
  • Michigan
  • Wisconsin
  • Penn State
  • Washington
  • Utah
  • Notre Dane (independent ofc)
  • Texas
Then, there are teams who can compete for conference championships, but have a very slim chance to compete for national titles
  • Tennessee
  • Texas A&M
  • South Carolina
  • Michigan State
  • Nebraska
  • Iowa
  • Minnesota
  • USC
  • Oklahoma State
  • North Carolina is creeping into this level
  • Miami & Florida State even though they are down currently
  • Virginia Tech is ending their run here
It’s unrealistic to expect Tech to ever get into that very top tier, but it’s reasonable to believe the second tier is very achievable. The ultimate goal should be getting the program in a position where the 3rd tier is the floor. I think of places like Tennessee, Miami, Florida State, and UsC. Where even in their down years, there’s always a chance and an expectation (no matter how slim) that the team can compete with anyone in the nation.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I mean the truth hurts. You and others echo the same sentiments that CPJ recruited different type of athletes for his system so I’m not sure why it’s so painful when announcers echo the same thing the fan base does.

Wut. Big gap between “different type” and “different caliber.” Had plenty of recruits being rated for conventional offenses that would have been rated higher specifically for our offense. But if that’s the “truth” you believe you should feel free to go tell Jamal that he wasn’t good enough to rep our school to your standard and alienate a decades worth of Tech men.

Or you could decide to support both current and former players/staffs that donned the White and Gold. Up to you.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Wut. Big gap between “different type” and “different caliber.” Had plenty of recruits being rated for conventional offenses that would have been rated higher specifically for our offense. But if that’s the “truth” you believe you should feel free to go tell Jamal that he wasn’t good enough to rep our school to your standard and alienate a decades worth of Tech men.

Or you could decide to support both current and former players/staffs that donned the White and Gold. Up to you.

I’m really not up for the revisionist history honestly and Golden has taken more than enough unsolicited shots at the program himself, so maybe he needs to decide whether he is going support or
Not. 2014 was great year but CPJ coached 4 more yrs after that and what was the record? Where were these above avg caliber athletes? Even the guys on the team was questioning some of the guys being brought in.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yikes, well that’s it for me in this debate.

Happy for the positive press in the OP and hope the host and CGC can connect to keep the hype train rolling in the media. Can only help.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m really not up for the revisionist history honestly and Golden has taken more than enough unsolicited shots at the program himself, so maybe he needs to decide whether he is going support or
Not. 2014 was great year but CPJ coached 4 more yrs after that and what was the record? Where were these above avg caliber athletes? Even the guys on the team was questioning some of the guys being brought in.
Man, I read thru some of those tweets. You told C Perk to stay in pitch relation. Lol.