The Last CJP Call In Show

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
After catching up with the site I haven't noticed anyone covering what CJP said on his call in show Monday. He frequently says some really interesting things on that show. What I got from this one worth discussing was the following four points:

1) He once again stressed that in recruiting he is prioritizing shooters over anything else.

2) CJP said that while they are still in it on 2017 class recruiting that he really thinks he is going to see the fruits of this surprising season with the 2018 class, since, instead of selling hope, as he had to with 2017. he now has video and data to back up his vision for the team with 2018 kids and beyond.

3) Related to this, he says that they have heard from some 2017 recruits who committed early to other schools who now tell him they wish they had waited. He implied that some number, sounded like one or two at least, have even let him know they wish they had waited and would have signed with Tech if they had. Does anyone know who some of those kids might be? I am very curious if any such recruits with second thoughts might be committed to programs where the coach could possibly leave or get fired?

4) And lastly, and maybe the most intriguing comment, was his explanation of the offensive system he implemented. Basically, he said that coming into the ACC he thought that a hard cutting offense would be what the leagues bevy of 4-5 star and McD AA players would least like to defend. Furthermore, CJP said this was the first season he ever taught this offensive style and so he expects to improve at teaching it going forward, and will be meeting with coaches over the offseason to learn it better.

On this last point, I take that to make him similar to CPJ and his use of an offensive scheme which the more talented teams loathe to play against. I always remember that UNC stud lineman tackling the bback and celebrating before he realized the guy who actually had the ball was already in the endzone.

He also related that he really learned the importance of building a team and having coachable players this year. I think this all reflects his own growth as a coach and his possible really solid fit at Tech. You have to have good academic students at Tech and so can't simply recruit talent indiscriminately. But his recognition of an offensive style this team needed to implement, his chance to get better and better at coaching it with experience, as well as likely getting superior talent lends credence to optimism.

Anyone have any insights or analysis to add to his radio comments? (Sorry for the length).

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I missed the show but the comments on 2017 kids wishing they had waited don't surprise me at all. I believe Sexton is one for sure. Probably a big too after seeing Lammers development. I still feel extremely confident we land at least one of Tucker or Walker and we have a shot at getting both.
The beauty of this new offensive style is it opens up outside looks if you have some shooters. We just didn't have any this year. We will be fun to watch going forward.

Deleted member 2897

If they haven't enrolled yet at the school they had committed to, its a free country. :) Seriously, its a 40 year decision, don't go somewhere you don't want to. (Well okay, its a 25 year decision for Tech grads, because we make so much money we retire early.)

All of this commentary just proves again how much of a recruiting and coaching prodigy he is. I'm still shocked that we were able to win so many games this year - we were so terribly bad so much - just think about all those stupid missed free throws and layups. Its pure insanity. How many games did we lose by more than 10-12 points this year...like 2? The future is bright ahead.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great recap! I had only listened to just prior to the Pitt rundown and not sure I'm gonna bother finishing. 1 thing I'd add is that CJP said we need 2 great PGs to play in the ACC. This would explain why we've got ongoing PG targets in every class.

He also talked about the need for depth and how depth didn't necessarily mean a kid came in to play minutes, but could mean he came in to develop and be ready to go over the course of 4 years, maybe getting minutes later on. This speaks to maybe us grabbing the tough as nails 3* type for his "get old, stay old" plans, rather than always focusing on the 5* types.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If they haven't enrolled yet at the school they had committed to, its a free country. :) Seriously, its a 40 year decision, don't go somewhere you don't want to. (Well okay, its a 25 year decision for Tech grads, because we make so much money we retire early.)

All of this commentary just proves again how much of a recruiting and coaching prodigy he is. I'm still shocked that we were able to win so many games this year - we were so terribly bad so much - just think about all those stupid missed free throws and layups. Its pure insanity. How many games did we lose by more than 10-12 points this year...like 2? The future is bright ahead.
I think the kids he was alluding to signed LoI's. Don't those include a loss of year transfer penalty even though the kid isn't enrolled yet? A guy like Sexton isn't going to give up a year of eligibility at this stage since he is unlikely to stay in college more than two years (if that). I could be wrong on the penalty though.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I missed the show but the comments on 2017 kids wishing they had waited don't surprise me at all. I believe Sexton is one for sure. Probably a big too after seeing Lammers development. I still feel extremely confident we land at least one of Tucker or Walker and we have a shot at getting both.
The beauty of this new offensive style is it opens up outside looks if you have some shooters. We just didn't have any this year. We will be fun to watch going forward.
If Sexton is one then the bright side would be that given the success this year, CJP will be able to recruit local talent of that caliber. I know a few people here were disappointed he couldn't get any of the early deciding 17 studs, but this would still be a positive sign for the future. The downside is if he had been able to convince those kids to wait until the spring in order to see the data then he may have kicked tail in recruiting this year. Even with that he could land a really good class.

I think I was most encouraged by the evidence of CJP's growth as a coach post-Memphis. Studying the league and the team he inherited to find an offensive style he had never taught before but was positive would give them the best chance to win. Also, clearly good hires with the coaches that addressed his needs as a coach by covering for weaknesses. His success in motivating some past underperforming guys like Stephens and Tadric. Finally, the improved belief in the importance of team, and a well rounded team at that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it's Carter (Blue Blood) or Chandler (Geography) or Bede and Brown (both programs dancing)

I wonder if one is Hammonds. System is built for that kid.

Gun to head id put my pension that one is JP Moorman. After seeing what CJP did with Okogie by putting him in positions that play to his strengths and I'm pretty sure Okogie and JPM know each other from AAU? That combined with Temple sucking a fat one this year......

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hammonds had a very specific reason for not choosing GT and nothing that has happened this season has changed that rationale for eliminating GT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hammonds had a very specific reason for not choosing GT and nothing that has happened this season has changed that rationale for eliminating GT.

Yeah I know the reason. But potential success maybe light a fire? You're right probably not. Still, he would flourish in that high post spot, and it would allow us to put Ben on the block. Jose JOk Hammknds and Ben all on the floor. Good ball movement potential there

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
You sure? I thought we were in his final 3 on decision day?

“I only visited Wilmington and Richmond because Georgia Tech and Cincinnati basically pulled out,” Moorman said. “But that’s 100 percent fine with me because I feel comfortable at Temple and am 100 percent committed."

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
“I only visited Wilmington and Richmond because Georgia Tech and Cincinnati basically pulled out,” Moorman said. “But that’s 100 percent fine with me because I feel comfortable at Temple and am 100 percent committed."

I'm skeptical.

Mostly because it completely destroys my theory.