The Kicking Game

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s been a lot of disagreeing on this board lately, so I figured I’d make a thread we can all agree on.

The kicking game needs to improve. The performance of our FG unit, whether it’s been the result of poor kicks or poor blocking, has been absolutely terrible. There is no way we can have sustained success with a FG unit this poor.

We got a little spoiled with Butker, and Indont expect all of our future kickers to be that good, but anything under 30 should be automatic at this level. Anything under 40 should be pretty close to automati

My questions: 1) Are any of our current kickers are on scholarship? 2) Does anyone know of any kicking recruits that have expressed interest in GT?

I think if we offer any kicker it would be an attractive opportunity since there’s a clear path to playing time.

With the exception of the FG unit, I think the rest of our special teams has been pretty solid.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think any of the kickers are on scholarship besides Pressley. We are also missing true FR Steven Verdisco, who I think is injured. He was the first kicker we took a PWO for in the offseason I think, but the staff wanted to bring in a few for competition sake.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
There’s been a lot of disagreeing on this board lately, so I figured I’d make a thread we can all agree on.

The kicking game needs to improve. The performance of our FG unit, whether it’s been the result of poor kicks or poor blocking, has been absolutely terrible. There is no way we can have sustained success with a FG unit this poor.

We got a little spoiled with Butker, and Indont expect all of our future kickers to be that good, but anything under 30 should be automatic at this level. Anything under 40 should be pretty close to automati

My questions: 1) Are any of our current kickers are on scholarship? 2) Does anyone know of any kicking recruits that have expressed interest in GT?

I think if we offer any kicker it would be an attractive opportunity since there’s a clear path to playing time.

With the exception of the FG unit, I think the rest of our special teams has been pretty solid.
1) No
2) Not off the top of my head.

Source for scholarship info: https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2021-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/\

Here is the official roster and all PK/P

1601302556703.png

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the Wesley Wells situation was messed up. The guy was perfect in 2018, and he missed one FG, that's all! And they pulled him for King for some reason. Even King would be a huge improvement this year.

I understand that, but at same time—irrelevant to our current situation, which is what I’m trying to focus on. Neither Wells nor King are coming back, so no real point in discussing them in regards to the present and future of GT Football.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU did have major penetration of a couple of the kicks. But the remainder have been extremely low kicks that were easy to block. You would think practice would at least get the kickers in a position to get the ball over the line of scrimmage. We really have no chance to be successful until that problem is solved. And yes, both kickers last year were very inconsistent but at least they didn't get most of their kicks blocked.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand that, but at same time—irrelevant to our current situation, which is what I’m trying to focus on. Neither Wells nor King are coming back, so no real point in discussing them in regards to the present and future of GT Football.
Yep, agreed, I just think that if they stuck with Wesley he may still be on our team right now and we may not have to rely on 3 true freshmen walk ons. I do agree that it's a moot point now.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has made 5 FGs between 4 kickers in the Collins era. (15 games). NCAA leader has 7 through 3 games so far.

This has to get better. It's so bad that the team has to fake a PAT by trying to run with the punter.

Jmonty71

Banned
I'm pretty sure the local homeless guy, down the street, can kick better. I mean seriously, they should do an open door competition. There has to be someone better, than what we have. We don't have a soccer program, to pull from, do we? At this point, make it wide open... Boys, girls, horses, goats....don't care.. Just find someone!