The JUSTIN THOMAS era has started

Animal02

Banned
Can you imagine what kind of year we would have had if Vad's head and heart had been totally focused on getting better. Every loss we had turned on a play or a couple of plays not executed. I'm not suggesting that our 6 losses were on Vad, it's a team sport. But the quarterback is the play maker and Vad with the exception a couple of games did not look committed or determined. I think he is a fine young man and I wish him all success, but I see this as a positive development for Georgia Tech football. I like JT very much but I would put my money on Tim Byerly because of his toughness.

Midway through the season, I started having serious doubts about CPJ's ability to take the program to the next level. Tevin did not have the natural talent that Vad had, but he made the system work. He would have loved to have had the defense that Vad had this year. This all makes sense now. Vad did not have his head in the game. I sensed many ties that he thought his talents trumped the system in terms of getting the play going (hesitation, reverse direction, not pitching when it was there, etc.)

Easy fix, break huddle with Days at qb and run the qb follow or straight sneak. We've already done it this year and it surprised the heck out of me because CPJ would rather have Days run it than Vad.

At that point you are tipping your play calls.

Not good at the BCS level.

BTW, DCS, there was a quote from Vad about the option not being for him, any ideas why a non-Triple-OPtion QB would come to a run heavy TO-school and TO-HC?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The starting position will be open in the spring. JT is the likely starting QB. But I still don't understand why we start a thread that says the JT Era has started. Premature imo.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Easy fix, break huddle with Days at qb and run the qb follow or straight sneak. We've already done it this year and it surprised the heck out of me because CPJ would rather have Days run it than Vad.
You going to run this every time we have a short yardage situation? You think opposing teams would catch on?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
You going to run this every time we have a short yardage situation? You think opposing teams would catch on?
There was a lot of Duke envy this year seeing as how they went 10-3. They ran a lot of red zone stuff with Brandon Connette.

But I agree, I think it's an option for us but it's not like we ran with Synjyn under center a ton in 2013. Just something we have in our back pocket.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I also am confident Days can run a variety of plays under center in short yardage situations....it's not like he can only run midline out of it lol

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I will list one concern that others can chime in on...I am worried about JT and the goal line push due to size. He will be a bigger threat running on the outside but if its 3rd and 1 on the 1 yard line then I am giving it to the bback.
We saw Synjyn in goal line offense this year.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We saw Synjyn in goal line offense this year.
Sure, but if they stop it on the first try then you don't try it again with Synjyn.

If he comes back in then you can pretty much guess it is going to be another run or Days trying to play QB again which I do not trust at all. I have watched him enough in person to know he can't be trusted throwing the ball even if it is unexpected. However, teams scout us and know that he played QB so it won't be unexpected.

With Vad we could try to punch it in more than once and same with Tevin. I dont feel like we have a great option with JT doing this...Not just on the goal line either. Again, JT will be more of a threat to run outside though...He can roll and choose to dash for the end zone or try to make a throw with his arm.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Sure, but if they stop it on the first try then you don't try it again with Synjyn.

If he comes back in then you can pretty much guess it is going to be another run or Days trying to play QB again which I do not trust at all. I have watched him enough in person to know he can't be trusted throwing the ball even if it is unexpected. However, teams scout us and know that he played QB so it won't be unexpected.

With Vad we could try to punch it in more than once and same with Tevin. I dont feel like we have a great option with JT doing this...Not just on the goal line either. Again, JT will be more of a threat to run outside though...He can roll and choose to dash for the end zone or try to make a throw with his arm.
JT lined up at A back when Synjyn came in.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

What did BC do on the goal line with Doug Flutie?

Can you imagine what kind of year we would have had if Vad's head and heart had been totally focused on getting better. Every loss we had turned on a play or a couple of plays not executed. I'm not suggesting that our 6 losses were on Vad, it's a team sport. But the quarterback is the play maker and Vad with the exception a couple of games did not look committed or determined. I think he is a fine young man and I wish him all success, but I see this as a positive development for Georgia Tech football. I like JT very much but I would put my money on Tim Byerly because of his toughness.
I think the long period of "not getting it" before Vad even grasped the concepts of the triple option were a good indication. And even when you realize that the intricacies of the system are right up there with analytical geometry, harmonic vibrations, and string theory, it shouldn't take two years to conquer the Rocket Toss. When Vad couldn't beat out Tevin as a RS freshman, it was a bad omen.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this will work out for the best. I too thought that Vad's troubles came from and continued to be from a lack of game experience. We threw a lot at him to start the year, mainly to accommodate his talent set. This turned out to be a bad decision, but I can see why it was made. I think Coach has wanted to bring in the run-n-shoot elements of the O for some time and thought that he finally had his Tracy Ham in Vad. Unfortunately, Vad never materialized as the option runner that made Ham such an effective passer. Still, it was an experiment worth trying and, I still think, with another year and a healthy OL could have worked. We saw it in the Ugag game.

But now we move on. I also thought from the first that it would be an open competition at QB this spring; I believe (no evidence) that this is why Vad is transferring. I don't know who will win it. Thomas is easily talented enough, but needs to put on some weight in the off season to get around the ball security problems Coach keeps mentioning. He's the front runner, of course; game experience and speed count for a lot in our O. Then there's Tim Byerley. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get the job either. As I've said before at other forums, he isn't that fast, he isn't that big, and he has an ok arm, nothing more. All he does is win. Consistently. I thought he showed better understanding of the O in his few appearances then either Vad or Thomas, probably because he knows he can't talent his way out of trouble. Finally, Jordan is a great recruit and must be straining at the bit to get here now. He's talented enough to get the job, even with the inevitable restrictions of learning the touhgest position in a very complex O.

Personally, I'm looking forward to next year. I think we'll look more like Tech again.

Good post man. I hate to say it but I dont think the players we have right now could adjust to the type of offense that Vad needed. Our OL can't pass block to save anyone's life.

Waller is way too inconsistent and no one else has emerged as a solid WR besides Smelter who I like a lot. Godhigh was our best AB receiver.

Last thing I will say is that Duke/Wake recruited Vad as a QB in a spread type of offense. NC St wanted Vad to be the next Russel Wilson and UNC wanted him at WR. Those first 3 were his only QB offers. He wasn't that good of a passer and that throw to Waller against Ole Miss was not very good. He knows who he is going to throw to before the play happens as well. I dont think he is that good of a QB in any system. I dont think he would be starting at Duke, NC St, but maybe Wake...

No matter if our players could make the change it still wouldn't give me much confidence in Vad throwing the ball 30 times a game. He would probably have a 60% completion rate and 2 picks a game lol.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with you. Justielusivrows a very tight spiral with good mechanics. I don't think he can get it as far down the field as Vad but I believe he will be fine throwing the ball.

Lets hold off on the JT talk. He's a great athlete with a lot of speed and elusiveness but again the kid is under 5'11 and 180 there's alot of problems that will come from his size.