The JT myths

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the point is entirely invalid. If CPJ thinks Ty Griffin could be a gamebreaker at A-back this year I don't think him being QB3 would hinder a switch. Having a true freshman as third string hoping for redshirt isn't unprecedented for us and we survived when it happened. You also didn't mention that MJ is a spring practice ahead of where Vad was.

I mean it's not likely by any stretch but you did say there's no way it would happen. I don't know about that.

The point isn't that TG can't be a great AB, even this year, it's that he's #3 QB this year and CPJ isn't going to risk MJ's redshirt to play another reserve somewhere else if #1 or #2 are down. It's obvious that TG is gifted with the ball in his hands...but it's not clear that AB is even an option (no pun intended), he may be a DB or even a WR. We do know for a fact that TG will have to be QB3 this year because CPJ wants to protect MJ's redshirt for development.

The only QB CPJ has recruited to play as a true freshmen was Jaybo Shaw, and that was because it was by necessity. History shows, even with guys that eventually move from QB, that CPJ wants to see how they develop there over a year during a redshirt freshman season (Tevin, Sims, Days, Luallen, Andrews, Vad, JT, Griffin). It's going to be the same with MJ.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sims also redshirted to develop at QB. AFTER it appeared that Sims didn't have a future at QB is when he was moved. TOTALLY different scenario then what you're trying to say with MJ redshirting this year.

Don't twist historical facts just because you're trying to make an invalid point.
Griffin also red-shirted to develop at QB. Him playing A-Back and be the #3QB directly correlate to what Sims did in 2011. I believe Sims was the #3 QB that year, even though he was playing B-Back.

BTW, I'm in no way suggesting this happen, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Griffin also red-shirted to develop at QB. Him playing A-Back and be the #3QB directly correlate to what Sims did in 2011. I believe Sims was the #3 QB that year, even though he was playing B-Back.

Sims only moved when it was obvious he wasn't going to be QB anymore. At that time, he was fully a BB. I believe he got a few practice snaps there when one of our QBs was hurt.

There was a year when Quentin Sims (I believe) had to move to QB from WR for a few games because one of our QBs was hurt and CPJ didn't want to burn a redshirt (I believe it was when Luallen was a T-FR here). He actually got a few snaps at QB during a blowout.

There's a difference between being #3 QB when Vad was here in 2011 and being QB3 that Ty is right now. Vad was never going to play in 2011 even though he was QB3 unless Tevin and probably Synjyn went down. We saw that play out. If JT goes down, CPJ would have no problem putting TG in. I think if we're past game 6 in 2014, there's no way we'll see MJ unless Ty goes down as well. Totally different scenarios.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The point isn't that TG can't be a great AB, even this year, it's that he's #3 QB this year and CPJ isn't going to risk MJ's redshirt to play another reserve somewhere else if #1 or #2 are down. It's obvious that TG is gifted with the ball in his hands...but it's not clear that AB is even an option (no pun intended), he may be a DB or even a WR. We do know for a fact that TG will have to be QB3 this year because CPJ wants to protect MJ's redshirt for development.

Oh I'm not taking what you're saying as a shot at TG at all. I'm just saying just because MJ is QB3 doesn't mean his redshirt is being burned. He doesn't have to play. I mean how often has our #1 and #2 QBs been hurt at the same time? Like once? I honestly don't think it's a huge risk. And minor nitpick but you don't know that for a fact unless you got a CPJ quote. That's just a pet peeve of mine.

The only QB CPJ has recruited to play as a true freshmen was Jaybo Shaw, and that was because it was by necessity. History shows, even with guys that eventually move from QB, that CPJ wants to see how they develop there over a year during a redshirt freshman season (Tevin, Sims, Days, Luallen, Andrews, Vad, JT, Griffin). It's going to be the same with MJ.

I completely agree with you which is why is this is kind of a silly argument to be having. But I don't think it's as completely dismissable as you do. It'd take Griffin looking like an all time great or something. You see it as 100% going to happen I see it as like 95-98% or so.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Start by saying I was impressed with some of the stuff TG did in the T-Day game. Especially with the depth at A-Back and WR, I don't think TG would get time at either of those positions this year.

However, at the #3 QB, I could easily see him getting snaps at another position (limited) to get him on the field. If something were to happen to #1 or #2, he'd revert to a full-time QB again. That's not unreasonable or improbable. I'd agree it's more likely not to happen that to happen.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Jordan will red-shirt. I was just guessing that Ty might show himself too hard to keep off the field. He's one of the most dynamic runners we have with the ball in his hands, imo.

IMO: Byerly and Jordan will remain QBs. The battle for who moves to AB, if any, may be between Thomas and Griffin in 2015. In 2014 with 5 senior ABs + Snoddy and Andrews there is no need for additional ABs. However, in 2015 there is only Snoddy and Andrews with PT + Leggett, Autry, and Lynch and no big body to block except maybe Leggett. Some real AB help may be needed from JT or TG in 2015. Willis might get in the mix. Klock (either at TE or lined up at AB) may be some help on some plays in 2015 as I see AB blocking a problem.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody's guess is as good as mine how this whole thing is going to play out. I really have no idea. With that said, I feel very positive about the overall situation we have brewing at QB AND the potential position moves in the future. There is a lot of potential and athleticism in the group as a whole. That bodes well. It hasn't yet been that way during CPJ's time. Having been bereft of QB talent for several years before CPJ's arrival, I was excited about a move to this offense back in 2008 and this is the reason. I felt it gave us a recruiting advantage for finding great QBs that we wouldn't otherwise have. It appears to FINALLY be coming to fruition. Each of the 4 present candidates have shown flashes of what we need. The chances of all four washing out like VL are pretty slim. MJ and TG may be a year away as serious contenders, but they are great guys to bring in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh I'm not taking what you're saying as a shot at TG at all. I'm just saying just because MJ is QB3 doesn't mean his redshirt is being burned. He doesn't have to play. I mean how often has our #1 and #2 QBs been hurt at the same time? Like once? I honestly don't think it's a huge risk. And minor nitpick but you don't know that for a fact unless you got a CPJ quote. That's just a pet peeve of mine.

I completely agree with you which is why is this is kind of a silly argument to be having. But I don't think it's as completely dismissable as you do. It'd take Griffin looking like an all time great or something. You see it as 100% going to happen I see it as like 95-98% or so.

How many times has CPJ moved an active R-FR backup QB to another position while he was mainly a QB? Less times than when our first 2 QBs got hurt (see Gardner Webb 2009). For all this talk about needing to get the ball in TG's hands, it's not CPJ's MO to do that while a guy is the active #3 and he's protecting someone's redshirt. When a guy moves, he's there 100% unless there's an injury or special game situation (see Days inside the 5yard line)

Sure, MJ could be a "paper" QB3, but CPJ has a real #3 in Ty. So you move Ty to AB because he can run with the ball (remember GT fans saying the same thing about JT?) but he gets hurt blocking ('cause you know, ABs actually block more than they run the ball) then what?

I think you guys are thinking of this scenario in terms of fans, but a coach isn't going to risk his QB (not to mention a kid's career) just because you think someone looks good running the ball. Like CPJ says, if a kid moves to another position, it's going to be a kid's decision not his or the fan's.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no misconceptions about TG moving anywhere. I think he stays at QB this year and could even be the heir-apparent himself. It could be that JT and MJ end up moving . I don't see Byerly anywhere else (doesn't strike me as athletic enough, but what do I know), so Ty could be the man. I'm not touting him this way, but who knows? Godsey was in a 3-way race when the light finally came on.

Whoever is the starter next year, I hope he stays that way for at least 2 years. It'd be good to have the continuity.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
How many times has CPJ moved an active R-FR backup QB to another position while he was mainly a QB? Less times than when our first 2 QBs got hurt (see Gardner Webb 2009). For all this talk about needing to get the ball in TG's hands, it's not CPJ's MO to do that while a guy is the active #3 and he's protecting someone's redshirt. When a guy moves, he's there 100% unless there's an injury or special game situation (see Days inside the 5yard line)

Sure, MJ could be a "paper" QB3, but CPJ has a real #3 in Ty. So you move Ty to AB because he can run with the ball (remember GT fans saying the same thing about JT?) but he gets hurt blocking ('cause you know, ABs actually block more than they run the ball) then what?

I think you guys are thinking of this scenario in terms of fans, but a coach isn't going to risk his QB (not to mention a kid's career) just because you think someone looks good running the ball. Like CPJ says, if a kid moves to another position, it's going to be a kid's decision not his or the fan's.

I think you are taking this way way way too seriously. No one is actually calling for or expecting this move.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have no misconceptions about TG moving anywhere. I think he stays at QB this year and could even be the heir-apparent himself. It could be that JT and MJ end up moving . I don't see Byerly anywhere else (doesn't strike me as athletic enough, but what do I know), so Ty could be the man. I'm not touting him this way, but who knows? Godsey was in a 3-way race when the light finally came on.

Whoever is the starter next year, I hope he stays that way for at least 2 years. It'd be good to have the continuity.
Imagine if Vad had stayed, he might be the guy moving. Moving a guy recruited at qb is usually a result of the proverbial lightbulb never coming on moreso than lack of athleticism. Byerly is safe for that reason, plus he's more athletic than Tevin who never moved and did quite well.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Imagine if Vad had stayed, he might be the guy moving. Moving a guy recruited at qb is usually a result of the proverbial lightbulb never coming on moreso than lack of athleticism. Byerly is safe for that reason, plus he's more athletic than Tevin who never moved and did quite well.
I truly believe that may have contributed to the decision-making process.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I just have a feeling that CPJ favors the players with more knowledge of his offense I.E Upperclassmen. With that being the case .I dont see any younger guys getting a real chance to start until the guy ahead of him graduates or gets injured. ESPECIALLY AT QB.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think you've over simplified it Ggee87.

Regardless, I'll over simplify it even more - CPJ will play (short of discipline issues) the player he think will give GT the best opportunity to win that game. If a player gets beat out, so be it, no matter how long they have been in the system.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If there's one thing I've learned during the CPJ tenure, it's that our best laid plans for QBs is better off used as kindling for fire.

Two years ago we were all in awe at how much high level talent we had in the pipeline with Vad and JT, now we're talking about how a former walk-on could get a lot of snaps and the experience void that Vad left. All those threads about how those two would usher in a new era of QBs that can take our offense to a higher level with the pass and run, but the of the two left, there's still questions of how much of the offense he's mastered and CPJ "doubling down" on his base offense. Not saying JT still can't be that guy, but definitely not what we'd envisioned the QB position being a few years ago.

One of the great things about college football is you never know recruits turn out. Who would have thought when Tevin signed he would even see the field much less graduate as the all time leader for QB rushing TDs.