The JT myths

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I might have back up QB syndrome.

I was for Tevin over Vad. I was neutral to Vad over JT. Vad was better starter but I thought JT may end up better. Vad made too many decisions based on emotion. I always like the way Byerly looked good against 2s.

I do seem like a lone voice, but it is easier for me to buy what I see and I did not get to see JT.
We didn't get to see Custis, either. Laskey looked bigger and faster this year. We're gonna be good on the dive and keep, dunno about the pitch or the rocket toss.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TB is more than serviceable : )

Either could start, both very good with different strengths, but neither is a guarantee of 10 wins. We need the whole team.

I tend to prefer the ability to run the midlines and yards after contact for the tougher more disciplined teams we play.
We have sorely missed the mid-line. It can be a good counter attack to some of the stuff we have been seeing from defenses. It was the most effective play in the spring game from my vantage point. One thing that was obvious from the film slowed down is the impact that TB makes at contact. His power was obvious as he routinely produced backwards movement from individual tacklers and groups of tacklers. He also just flat out broke a lot of tackles.

In my mind that is one of the most intriguing discussions, and decision points, about what direction to go in terms of QB, specifically, power and decision making vs speed and elusiveness. I have already heard the argument over the question: what is more important, good execution and steady reliable 15 play drives or explosion plays? Well I think the answer is, you need a little of both. No offense will routinely rip off 12 play error free drives all the time, that is why big plays are so nice. However, you need to execute to possess the ball and keep your defense rested. That is why relying totally on the occasional huge play can be self defeating. It truly is a quandary. Obviously the guy who wins out will give us the best combination of both. It should be interesting.

thwgjacket

First, let's try not to be rude, I clearly said that it was speculation, also if you READ my post you will see that I wrote that Vad was left in games when he shouldn't have been in. I NEVER said that he shouldn't have been the starter or anything, but he left him in games at times when he was struggling and it seemed like Justin might give us some life, he possibly could have done that because he knew that Vad had such a high ceiling and he didn't want him to transfer if he was pulling him, it's a possibility and no one will ever know the truth because Paul will never say if he did that or not. I don't care if you know Paul personally because he wouldn't even tell you if he did that unless you're perhaps his brother or something, all SPECULATION (key word).
tumblr_n368otf28P1sec7p6o1_400.gif

Mack

Helluva Engineer

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
HH my friend....c

No cant blame this typing on liquor or beer.........just cant seem to type anything decent for publication on a Kendel fire.....Thumbs and fingers get in the way of brilliant posts........thanks for allowing me to continue talking about tech football.
My gaffs, on the other hand, are all alcohol related.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Last year, defenses had the luxury of slow playing the pitch, they won't have that this year. Both JT and TB attack the pitch key like they're supposed to. If they slow play the qb, they'll burn them, especially if it's JT with the rock.
That could happen but man........somebody has to block sometime !..Got so tired of seeing Linebackers crashing over the guard and tackle position and blowing up our option..if its going to work we have got to block it no matter who is there.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well my two cents is that no matter who playes the qb postion he will need some gametime.I have always thought that both Chan and PJ didnt play the back up qb as much as they could.Bennett may have been better and JT and even Vad needed more that what they got.With three games in a row hope backups at all positions get to play..........by the way talked to Ga Southern guy today and he says the games they playl this year vs big boys will net them a cool 2 million............When they play VT next year its 900000 bucks.......Shoot remember when we used to play FSU on homecoming in the sixties and pay Clemson 100000 for coming to Atlanta.......times are a changing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well my two cents is that no matter who playes the qb postion he will need some gametime.I have always thought that both Chan and PJ didnt play the back up qb as much as they could.Bennett may have been better and JT and even Vad needed more that what they got.With three games in a row hope backups at all positions get to play..........by the way talked to Ga Southern guy today and he says the games they playl this year vs big boys will net them a cool 2 million............When they play VT next year its 900000 bucks.......Shoot remember when we used to play FSU on homecoming in the sixties and pay Clemson 100000 for coming to Atlanta.......times are a changing.
Mack, ol buddy, there's a reason CPJ doesn't play the backup qb. It's because the starter needs the reps. He uses blowouts to work on the starters weak spots.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Oh Hell No my friend .........can you imagine me trying to talk to this thing with a south or middle gawga drawl.............the system would erupt...........have a good one my friend.

Several years ago I moved from ATL to L.A. My job duties involved reporting to our home office in CT on certain issues and it was all dictated and transcribed for mailing/faxing (as I said several years ago) back east. We had a typist in house and for the first few weeks she had to come to my office a few times a day to ask me what I was saying at a given point on the tape. After maybe 2 months or so I noticed her visits were becoming less and less, so I asked her why? Her response? As an actress(cliche I know) when I go to one of your tapes I simply get into the role of a southern ingenue...........................problem solved! :D

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Joe was very stocky, and I believe that weight was actually closer to 200, and I have been very close to JT...thin for a QB....especially his lower body...

There are people here that still believe JT is 5'11? Now that Godhigh has left, JT may be the shortest scholly player on the roster.

Appropriate thread for his height...The JT myths...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Joe was very stocky, and I believe that weight was actually closer to 200, and I have been very close to JT...thin for a QB....especially his lower body...

I agree. When you're standing beside both of them, Joe has a "thicker" appearance than JT. JT doesn't appear to be a twig but he's still fairly slight.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Because I have too much time on my hands on a Friday...

Compare.jpg

Not a perfect angle comparison, but you can tell Joe was pretty thick in the lower body. Joe was probably pushing 200 in that picture.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
We have sorely missed the mid-line. It can be a good counter attack to some of the stuff we have been seeing from defenses. It was the most effective play in the spring game from my vantage point. One thing that was obvious from the film slowed down is the impact that TB makes at contact. His power was obvious as he routinely produced backwards movement from individual tacklers and groups of tacklers. He also just flat out broke a lot of tackles.

In my mind that is one of the most intriguing discussions, and decision points, about what direction to go in terms of QB, specifically, power and decision making vs speed and elusiveness. I have already heard the argument over the question: what is more important, good execution and steady reliable 15 play drives or explosion plays? Well I think the answer is, you need a little of both. No offense will routinely rip off 12 play error free drives all the time, that is why big plays are so nice. However, you need to execute to possess the ball and keep your defense rested. That is why relying totally on the occasional huge play can be self defeating. It truly is a quandary. Obviously the guy who wins out will give us the best combination of both. It should be interesting.

No strong feelings over either, but I'll say that having Byerly in there doesn't limit your explosion plays that much. While Byerly himself isn't explosive, if he's making the correct reads and making himself a threat to the defense, the holes will open up elsewhere. Let Andrews, Autry, Laskey, etc, etc deliver explosive plays. If Byerly distributes the ball well and provides a bit of a threat himself, then we'll have big plays. I recall 3 and shorts with Nesbitt and the defense would bite so hard on him because he's such a bull that it would open up running lanes everywhere else and we'd get an explosive play. Also if any QB can sling the ball better, then we have a whole new explosive element that has little to do with foot speed and wiggle.

I didn't really notice Byerly that much until I went to the scrimmage the week prior to the T Game. Byerly kept the ball on an option, ran for about 7 yards or so, and PJ Davis (one of my favorite players and someone who can deliver a hit) came up to tackle him and the impact was significant. You could hear it in the stands, not only the impact but the nice sounding grunt/gasp when someone gets snot bubbled. When the smoke clears, Byerly pops up and jogs to the huddle while PJ looks a little worse for wear. You can't overestimate the importance of having players out there running the option that deliver hits better than they take them. Runners like Laskey (hopefully Custis) and Byerly can punish defenders and in option football that is a good psychological element. Anything to keep defenders on their heels or hesitate is a plus. You can also achieve that result with speed as well, but there is lots of speed in our league.

Like I said, no strong feelings over either. I trust CPJ to put the right person out there, all things honest and equal. Either one out there is fine with me and will mean good things with the caveat that if Byerly gets the nod, you have to find a way to get Thomas on the field.