The JT myths

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
My take on the QB position is this...

I like both Justin Thomas and Tim Byerly. They are both likeable kids that have different things they bring to the filed...Personally I don't care who wins the job. They are both GT SA's so I don't care to pick one over the other. I just want the one who gives us the best chance to win.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’s a pretty simple decision. You start Byerly and you risk JT losing confidence, the team losing confidence in the coach, and a much bigger backlash from fans if you’re wrong. JT was supposed to be the guy from the beginning and he really hasn’t done anything to lose his starting role other than Byerly just playing well in spring practice. Byerly knew he was #2 from the start and he realizes he will still see a fair amount of playing time. JT is the higher ceiling/lower risk guy to start. CPJ would essentially be throwing a hail mary at his job if he started Byerly.

JT will be fine. Like others have said, the biggest worry is the O-line.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The biggest advantage to JT winning the job is that he's younger so it's an investment that would pay dividends for a longer period (3 years for JT versus 2 years for TB).

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The biggest advantage to JT winning the job is that he's younger so it's an investment that would pay dividends for a longer period (3 years for JT versus 2 years for TB).
THIS is what ive been talking about the past couple of years. If you have younger guys that are athletically superior but not as mentally ready, play them a good bit anyways. Our offense seems to take a minimum of 2 years to grasp mentally. Id rather get a young guy with potential ,more reps than an older guy whos less skilled but knows what hes doing 95% of the time. JMO but I think it would be worth the growing pains to have these guys that show flashes, for more than a year.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is that so hard for people to believe? :confused:

Bc some people believe college football is like a video game where you just plug the guy with more pure ability in and user control him to the Heisman. They seem to have no concept of player improvement over time, or the game-by-game decision the coach has to make in order to put his team in the best possible chance to win. As a coach, there have been countless times I would have loved to plug the young, hungry player in, knowing he was going to be a good player down the road. But I didn't. I played the best guy at that moment. Do you realize how fast you would lose a whole locker room if they knew you weren't playing the players who gave you the best shot to win??

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Vad gave us the best chance to win because he started game one.

Start JT game one and after game three he would have been the best chance to win. But how do you not start Vad game 1 through 3 if he is the best chance to win.

Vad had all the fans behind him, the team, and Paul's word. No way you don't start Vad. Hind site is 20 20 and does not count.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Vad gave us the best chance to win because he started game one.

Start JT game one and after game three he would have been the best chance to win. But how do you not start Vad game 1 through 3 if he is the best chance to win.

Vad had all the fans behind him, the team, and Paul's word. No way you don't start Vad. Hind site is 20 20 and does not count.

You make this claim based on what? Given 15 practices this spring as the #1 and thus, getting the most # of snaps on the team, instead of separating from the pack, the pack is catching up to him. Yet somehow if he had started the first 3 games against Elon, Duke, and North Carolina he was going rip the Clark Kent shirt off and reveal the "S" shirt underneath?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You make this claim based on what? Given 15 practices this spring as the #1 and thus, getting the most # of snaps on the team, instead of separating from the pack, the pack is catching up to him. Yet somehow if he had started the first 3 games against Elon, Duke, and North Carolina he was going rip the Clark Kent shirt off and reveal the "S" shirt underneath?

I don't believe we have the ability to recruit a Moses to lead us to the promise land, much less Superman.

I think, don't know, that given enough game experience , JT could beat out Vad and be the best chance to win.... Best chance to win, not always win. It takes a team and the faster fans realize that the QB is not the Savior the happier they will be...

Byerly never was bad and was more than just back up material. He had the best footwork last year. The separation was truly never that much to begin with. JT is just fast as fast can be with amazing agility. The coaches want to see separation by those skills. The issue is Byerly's skills have other different advantages.

Because Byerly skills are appreciated does not mean JT is any less.

What if both players skills and ability have increased and would have beat out Vad.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't believe we have the ability to recruit a Moses to lead us to the promise land, much less Superman.

I think, don't know, that given enough game experience , JT could beat out Vad and be the best chance to win.... Best chance to win, not always win. It takes a team and the faster fans realize that the QB is not the Savior the happier they will be...

Byerly never was bad and was more than just back up material. He had the best footwork last year. The separation was truly never that much to begin with. JT is just fast as fast can be with amazing agility. The coaches want to see separation by those skills. The issue is Byerly's skills have other different advantages.

Because Byerly skills are appreciated does not mean JT is any less.

What if both players skills and ability have increased and would have beat out Vad.

I can buy that response. The wording in the post prior made it seem like it was a certainty but I agree with you; it was certainly possible that Vad wouldn't have been the starter, even if he returned. That's an interesting question that I'll pose and try to get an answer for.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Who is JT? I didn't see him.

Seriously, JT was said to be hurt and wearing red. So he wasn't played. Plus he had the quote that it was a lot tougher taking more of the snaps and he was sore.

I think our QBs take a lot of hits, the type that weaken and slow you down. Not the type that knock you out. It is a real tough call when a starting QB is slowed down to decide when a fresh back up is better than a slow starter. I don't think we'll have that problem, I think JT will not be able to take the pounding. Just an opinion based on his play last year against better teams and not being able to make it through Spring practice. Maybe it was a freak accident that got him and I'm wrong.

We are in good shape at QB. We need someone to beat out Chamberlain or the QB is going to have a long year.
Yep only thing that I really worry about is his size or lack of it.Now Jaybo was a little bigger than Jt and knew the offense and he was nicked up until he got to southern.I think JT is quick on his feet or Nicky would not have used a scholly on him but no doubt he will be hit and hit hard every play ..Sorry to see he was injured during the spring.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s a pretty simple decision. You start Byerly and you risk JT losing confidence, the team losing confidence in the coach, and a much bigger backlash from fans if you’re wrong. JT was supposed to be the guy from the beginning and he really hasn’t done anything to lose his starting role other than Byerly just playing well in spring practice. Byerly knew he was #2 from the start and he realizes he will still see a fair amount of playing time. JT is the higher ceiling/lower risk guy to start. CPJ would essentially be throwing a hail mary at his job if he started Byerly.

JT will be fine. Like others have said, the biggest worry is the O-line.

If CPJ doesn't play the best player, the players will see him playing favorites regardless of performance. That wouldn't be good for team cohesion either.

If *** (JT or whoever) is such a wimp that he loses confidence, he shouldn't be starter. (BTW I said the exact same thing about Vad last year.} JT will probably start since CPJ says so. CPJ sees a lot more than we do. But anything can happen in fall practice. I know JT won't get hurt again..... and Byerly won't get better....... or Jordan won't be a phenom. (tic)

We agree that the OL is the biggest worry for whoever the QB is.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
I think quite a few fans' opinions of Justin Thomas were unfairly shaped by that one big hit he took versus Miami. Despite the blown blocks on that play, and him being a freshman, somehow to some it was evidence that he is too small to be an effective QB in this offense.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think quite a few fans' opinions of Justin Thomas were unfairly shaped by that one big hit he took versus Miami. Despite the blown blocks on that play, and him being a freshman, somehow to some it was evidence that he is too small to be an effective QB in this offense.
Good point yet one thing id clear about option Qb....you will get tagged a lot by some large and angry d lineman.JT has good feet and that should help him.To early to tell but DAMN we need a Qb now!

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
You honestly and seriously believe that Coach Paul Johnson would change his personnel substitutions and INTENTIONALLY play a player who didn't run his offense as well as another player....all just to placate a player and potentially keep him for another year? If you really believe that, then you quite obviously know very little about the man. I don't mean that as a personal attack, by the way. But just, no.

Look, I've been quite open about my disdain for the offense. But I actually like Paul Johnson a LOT. If he weren't so married to running the ball so much and we had a semblance of a passing game, I'd be happy to have him as our coach for a long time.

I like it that he doesn't take crap from anyone. He has a personal habit or two that I'm not so fond of but don't we all? But I can guarantee you that he didn't play Vad Lee most of the snaps just because he was afraid of him leaving.

I'm supposed to meet my friend for dinner & drinks tomorrow night and I'll ask him this question about who runs/ran the TO better...Vad or Justin. And I'll also ask him why VL got 95% of the snaps and was it due to Paul trying to make sure Vad left.....or was Vad simply better at running the offense.

First, let's try not to be rude, I clearly said that it was speculation, also if you READ my post you will see that I wrote that Vad was left in games when he shouldn't have been in. I NEVER said that he shouldn't have been the starter or anything, but he left him in games at times when he was struggling and it seemed like Justin might give us some life, he possibly could have done that because he knew that Vad had such a high ceiling and he didn't want him to transfer if he was pulling him, it's a possibility and no one will ever know the truth because Paul will never say if he did that or not. I don't care if you know Paul personally because he wouldn't even tell you if he did that unless you're perhaps his brother or something, all SPECULATION (key word).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Good point yet one thing id clear about option Qb....you will get tagged a lot by some large and angry d lineman.JT has good feet and that should help him.To early to tell but DAMN we need a Qb now!
I don't see how that one hit is any different than say Peyton Manning getting drilled when his blindside protection breaks down completely like it did for JT.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how that one hit is any different than say Peyton Manning getting drilled when his blindside protection breaks down completely like it did for JT.
AHit is a hit and Peyton solo get bis but not in the number a option Qb takes.Agree when you are blindsided......it buemrts no matter who you are.