The Journey Of Georgia Tech's Jeremiah Attaochu

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He is the epitome of a Yellow Jacket Hero, and another addition to the Georgia Tech Football Legacy of Great Student Athletes!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Jerry has finally cracked Todd Mcshay's 1st rd Mock Draft projection at 32 to the Seahawks

Ugh please no. As a 49er fan I don't want to deal with rooting against him or worrying about him. What a terrible way for it to all end between me and him.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually agree with this mock draft more than any others. Got all those QB's out of the top 10. I actually even agree with Cowboys picking Manziel. He's not ready to play yet so let him sit for 3 years behind Romo. Romo gets hurt every year so he'll be able to play some.

You & I will just have to disagree with that.
Personally, I don't see Manziel making it past Cleveland @ #4 and he may even go @ 3 to Jacksonville. But I really just don't see any way that Dallas is going to draft a QB, given their other more pressing needs and the fact that they just committed over $100 million to Romo.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Personally, I don't see Manziel making it past Cleveland @ #4 and he may even go @ 3 to Jacksonville. But I really just don't see any way that Dallas is going to draft a QB, given their other more pressing needs and the fact that they just committed over $100 million to Romo.
I don't think he's ready to play yet.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he's ready to play yet.
Fair enough. But Nick Saban begs to differ.

And you don't draft a guy in the first round and sit him for 4 years. Dallas has $55 million in guaranteed money due to Romo and their restructuring of his contract to minimize cap hit goes out the window if they try to cut him. Every bit of that money then hits the cap and cripples the team for the next few years. I just don't see it happening.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

We have to remember Jerry Jones is more interested in sales and entertainment than results, so I wouldn't be shocked if Dallas took him.

@jeffgt14 I see WR and DB as more important. We need impact players in those spots. We don't have a 2 type WR, let alone a number 1.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Because Jerry Jones runs the team.
*sigh* Jerry Jones may be a lot of things but one thing he isn't is completely stupid.

The $13.5 million they just gave Romo as a signing bonus, he's going to try & recoup. That still leaves $41.5 million in guaranteed money, spread out over the next 4 years. That's over $10 million per year in guaranteed money. If you cut him, every bit of what you still owe him hits your cap...and then you can't even afford to sign your rookie draft picks that year and stay under the salary cap.

The ONLY way I could Dallas taking Manziel in the first round would be if Dallas were willing/able to trade Romo to Houston for the first pick in the draft so they could then draft Johnny Football. I'd put the chances of that happening as < .01% because I don't think Romo fits the profile of what O'Brien wants as a franchise QB.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
*sigh* Jerry Jones may be a lot of things but one thing he isn't is completely stupid.

Well he hasn't exactly acquitted himself as a smart executive.

The $13.5 million they just gave Romo as a signing bonus, he's going to try & recoup. That still leaves $41.5 million in guaranteed money, spread out over the next 4 years. That's over $10 million per year in guaranteed money. If you cut him, every bit of what you still owe him hits your cap...and then you can't even afford to sign your rookie draft picks that year and stay under the salary cap.

I completely agree with your logic and understand how the salary cap works.

The ONLY way I could Dallas taking Manziel in the first round would be if Dallas were willing/able to trade Romo to Houston for the first pick in the draft so they could then draft Johnny Football. I'd put the chances of that happening as < .01% because I don't think Romo fits the profile of what O'Brien wants as a franchise QB.

Or they could let him sit behind Romo for a year or so. It's not that outrageous.

I stand by my point. Jerry Jones runs the team. If he wants to make it happen, he will make it happen.

NOTE: This is not me predicting it will happen in case anyone tries to interpret it that way.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Or they could let him sit behind Romo for a year or so. It's not that outrageous.

I stand by my point. Jerry Jones runs the team. If he wants to make it happen, he will make it happen.

NOTE: This is not me predicting it will happen in case anyone tries to interpret it that way.

No, I get your point and I didn't mean to suggest you were predicting it. And FWIW, I think Jerry has proven to be "questionable" in his decision-making. There's no way I'd have locked up Romo for that kind of money for 6 years. But they did.

But the point I was making is this: they have to play Romo for 4 years to eat through that guaranteed money. You can't afford to draft Manziel and either sit him for 4 years...or draft Manziel, sit him a year and then sit your $16 million per year QB as a backup to Manziel.

If they want Manziel they have to figure out a way to move Romo onto someone else's books. But even if they do that, they take a significant salary cap hit.