The Hybrid Defense

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The 4-2-5 defense used the past two seasons were what looked like to me a defense in their dime or nickel package. Just a hunch but with the last two recruiting classes (if all the kids sign for 2018) Roof appears to be headed towards a more hybrid defense using the same 4-2-5 but more like the way Gary Paterson runs it at TCU. If so, I'm very intrigued by this.

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The 4-2-5 defense used the past two seasons were what looked like to me a defense in their dime or nickel package. Just a hunch but with the last two recruiting classes (if all the kids sign for 2018) Roof appears to be headed towards a more hybrid defense using the same 4-2-5 but more like the way Gary Paterson runs it at TCU. If so, I'm very intrigued by this.

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/

This is the direction I hope Tech's taking!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

This is why I said I would love to hire Chad Glasgow. He's learned under Patterson and would already have the players to run what he does.

4-2-5 is the reason teams were able to run the ball on us. Our Linebackers were spread out or sent to blitz and the play went where they weren't. It also meant we had less big guys out there to stop the run. 4-3 is the way to go.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
4-2-5 is the reason teams were able to run the ball on us. Our Linebackers were spread out or sent to blitz and the play went where they weren't. It also meant we had less big guys out there to stop the run. 4-3 is the way to go.
Not necessarily, there are teams who run the 4-2-5 fine. The issue is we didn't have a Nickel guy who had enough size to get in the box. If we had an AJ gray type guy in there it would have made a huge difference, of course we need overall better play from our LB's in general to make it work, and better DL play. Essentially it would be nice to run a 4-2-5 but be able to bring the Nickel guy in for a 4-3 in certain packages. JMO.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily, there are teams who run the 4-2-5 fine. The issue is we didn't have a Nickel guy who had enough size to get in the box. If we had an AJ gray type guy in there it would have made a huge difference, of course we need overall better play from our LB's in general to make it work, and better DL play. Essentially it would be nice to run a 4-2-5 but be able to bring the Nickel guy in for a 4-3 in certain packages. JMO.

TCU uses 3 safeties as well as fast linebackers. The safeties are either hybrid corners or hybrid linebackers.
Kaleb Oliver
Tariq Carpenter
Gentry Bonds
Avery Stowell
Are all hybrids to me.

If the 2018 class holds
Jaylen King
Jaunyeh Thomas
Charlie Thomas
Zamari Walton
are all long and interchangeable.

GT will have some really big corners/safeties.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
TCU uses 3 safeties as well as fast linebackers. The safeties are either hybrid corners or hybrid linebackers.
Kaleb Oliver
Tariq Carpenter
Gentry Bonds
Avery Stowell
Are all hybrids to me.

If the 2018 class holds
Jaylen King
Jaunyeh Thomas
Charlie Thomas
Zamari Walton
are all long and interchangeable.

GT will have some really big corners/safeties.
There's a chance the kick off coverage could improve with bigger safeties.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I'm not as worried about the defensive scheme we run as I am about our apparent lack of fundamentals and aggressiveness. I would like to see some "stop-them-in-their-tracks" tackles for a change.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A key to me in a 4-2-5 is the "hybrid" LB in the 5. A good one is fast, good tackler, and big enough to stop RBs dead and cover TEs.Coordinate this guy with others and you are set. Of course lot easier said than done.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 18 we will have 2 sr lb that were starter in 17 and we will have a sophmore - Swilling. Hope we can get them all on the field and play whoever is hot.