The Handshake

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally? I thought it was a bad look, but 100% understandable.

I will say this, I'm not even mad at Pitt, I am straight up mad at the Refs. And I think that is what Coach Collins was so irritated with and that's why he walked off as fast as he did. He wasn't mad at Narduzzi, but the refs.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wish Collins would have just completely ignored him to go berate the refs. Of course Narduzzi wanted to chat it up. His team was the one who pulled out of the first game when we were coming off a bye week and got the game reschedule for not only them getting a bye but us coming off 5 days rest. Then his team got the benefit of nearly every call from absolutely horrid refs.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
As much of a tool as I think Narduzzi is, Collins at least needs to look him in the eye at the end of the game.
Frankly, I thought it was classless on Collins' part not to at least look him in the eye and shake his hand. He doesn't have tell him good game or good luck. He can tell him I hope you die in a car fire in a landslide for all I care.
But at least look the guy in the eye, even for the split second of a handshake or COVID era fist bump.

Doeren and Collins didn't say anything to each other after Saturday's game either. It was a fist bump and out.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
It was embarrassing and childish. Don’t get run up and down the field, then worry about the refs. Score more points. You wanna act like that with a few 10 win seasons, fine. But not now. CGC doesn’t have those points in the bank.
I have to agree.You don’t give up 500+ yards to the 14th ranked offensive team in the conference, and 200+ yards to a running back, and whine about the refs. He probably won’t say it, but I think he was embarrassed. He should have been.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Collins was obviously frustrated by the way things wen during the game. Since he committed to do the handshake with the other coach, he probably should have just done it and not shrugged it off, IMO.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The tweet by Narduzzi could only be made by the winning coach in this game. Narduzzi by virtue of the officiating was not upset and most likely was in a good mood. He is therefore unable to understand Collins at that point. I would love to see a video of where Collins was headed after the “handshake” Because it looked to me like he had a plan and couldn’t stand around engaging in formalities, as that plan was escaping into the tunnel. I think he was going after the Ref that made both of the no calls against Camp, on the last drive. Collins was obviously livid prior to the end of the game ( and I liked seeing it ).

Given a chance, I think Collins explains that he was looking for explanations from the officials and meant no insult.

would you see someone like Mac Brown do this ? No I don’t think so. The difference being about 30 years experience as a head coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it would’ve been a lot less awkward if narduzzi had just let go of Collins hand instead of holding onto his hand

Agreed. Narduzzi made it look worse by being a jacka**.

That said, CGC shouldn't have given him that opportunity. I get it. I get all of it. We postponed our game to help them and ended up screwing ourselves. On top of that, the comically bad refs,
particularly and suspiciously at the end (still wondering what the line on the game was considering we were about to score) ...

... but you gotta be better than that in that moment. As it is, he comes across looking pretty bad and due to the optics and Jacka**uzzi making a show of it, he comes across like some kind of a victim.

I'm sure we all understand what he was feeling, just can't go there. He'll probably apologize soon (while choking down bile), if he hasn't already.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The tweet by Narduzzi could only be made by the winning coach in this game. Narduzzi by virtue of the officiating was not upset and most likely was in a good mood. He is therefore unable to understand Collins at that point. I would love to see a video of where Collins was headed after the “handshake” Because it looked to me like he had a plan and couldn’t stand around engaging in formalities, as that plan was escaping into the tunnel. I think he was going after the Ref that made both of the no calls against Camp, on the last drive. Collins was obviously livid prior to the end of the game ( and I liked seeing it ).

Given a chance, I think Collins explains that he was looking for explanations from the officials and meant no insult.

would you see someone like Mac Brown do this ? No I don’t think so. The difference being about 30 years experience as a head coach.
The video is the first post of this thread.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
It was embarrassing and childish. Don’t get run up and down the field, then worry about the refs. Score more points. You wanna act like that with a few 10 win seasons, fine. But not now. CGC doesn’t have those points in the bank.
LMAO dude the refs were the reason Pitt scored as much as they did. How many times did we have them stopped on 3rd down but a BS penalty nullified it? Their last scoring drive shouldn't have happened making it 26-20.

And then if the refs weren't trash they would have called at least one of the three blatant penalties on Pitt:

Roughing the passer on Sims.
Defensive holding on Camp in the end zone.
Defensive pass interference on Camp in the end zone.

Any one of those and we are at the goal line and potentially score to win the game 26-27.

The refs absolutely lost us the game and Collins had every right to be pissed and snub Narduzzi. He should call our the refs too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

You misspelled Jacka**uzzi twice in your post.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Should have just skipped it entirely. Cutcliffe just waved at Collins from a distance last week. Call it social distancing.

Good point. Perhaps he wanted to make a point.

Still, not a great look. Should've made a jacka**y comment while shaking his hand to make Jacka**uzzi react and look like the bad guy.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
It would have been better to have taken the higher road and given a "more firm" handshake but I don't fault him too much. He does appear to look at Narduzzi upon the approach, gives him his hand and quickly moves on. You could certainly quibble about how quickly. Maybe if he left his hand there 0.3 seconds longer it would've been more respectful. But like swampsting mentioned Collins and Doeren just gave each other a fist bump and moved on. When the clip is slowed down like that it's really apparent how much Narduzzi grabbed and seemingly tried to pull/hold on to Collins....which just seems odd. If Collins is going to be dismissive, whatever. Why try to grab and hold after such a clearly heated game? Oh and during a pandemic where general advice is to limit touching others.