The Good Word - Micheal Summers

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like what I'm hearing/reading about our older players and they way look at their roles on the team. I appreciate how they appear to be stepping up and taking a responsibility towards leading the team to another great year. I'm getting SO EXCITED & can't wait Spring Game!:woot:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This young man could be extremely important for us next year. Here's hoping he has a breakout spring and a great season. We could sure use that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As I've posted since his first year, I think Micheal adjusts to the ball in the air better than almost any receiver we've had under CPJ except maybe Smelter. I also think that he blocks pretty well. Finally, he lays out to catch the ball better than most of our WRs too. (It was my gripe against Waller that he didn't seem to help his QB out on poorly thrown balls often enough, adjusting the route or sacrificing his body). That being said, Waller did move ahead of Micheal on the depth chart. It makes sense that he either wasn't as good a route-runner or that he was giving away his route pre-snap somehow. I still expect Micheal to break out this year.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Good things said.
He needs to break out and be the man.Without a real downfield threat,this OFF may struggle.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Michael is in line to be our go-to receiver. If that is the case, I'd like to see him line up on the right side. I just think the guy on the right is easier to find for a right handed quarterback.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I like what I'm hearing/reading about our older players and they way look at their roles on the team. I appreciate how they appear to be stepping up and taking a responsibility towards leading the team to another great year. I'm getting SO EXCITED & can't wait Spring Game!:woot:
More impressed, really, that he is graduating in December with a year of eligibility left that presumably he uses studying for his masters. But with speed like that and at 6-1, it makes you wonder if he becomes the primary target this fall. Getting a guy with that speed and size one-on-one downfield would scare the bejesus out of me were I the D back. Time to do a lot of grabbing.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
summers is not like waller or smelter. He is fast. He is not as prolific a go up and get the ball guy like waller and smelter was. Or thomas. We need to make sure we use him a bit in that way. He is not as big and physical but is the type of receiver to hit in stride and in space.

I think summers is the kind of guy you want to hit in stride on a skinny post. he is a come back receiver and a cross route guy. He will run the 9 and catch in stride. Back shoulder throws...i am sure he can do but won't ever be as good as the big body guys just for that reason. But we need to still keep this in our arsenal.

We have to find a way to use him slightly different in our O than a waller/smelter. Summers is not a guy IMO that you do a box out jump ball in the endzone. Instead you pass to a spot and let him run under it ( a true fade).

I expect that we will see this...his skillset is different from our traditional #1 receivers the past 7 years, and his body is too. So we need to use him that way too if he is our 1. He is the type that really is a more traditional receiver than the big body possession jump ball guy....

I am excited to see if this brings a different dynamic to the passing game. At the same time, we do have a few guys in the 6-3 6-4 mold that we may see take a big leap up in this O.