The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Did not get to watch the game (also having trouble with downloads of replay) but I am really not too shook up over this game. I counted multiple teams that struggled or had close calls this past Saturday. Tech's performance was actually one of the better ones (when compared to Ohio State, NC State, UCLA and several others) and VIP's victory was over a team that is far less formidable than Wofford.

So let's not forget that Wofford is a very well coached team. They have given fits to several teams the last few years. Tech's performance against them was better than any of the last three games South Carolina had against Wofford.

We learned stuff with this game. We will get better.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket You know far more then me for sure... it was similar in that the 2 LB went on each side went outside and the center was open.

What is funny....first u r right for sure....but on the 92 yarder nealy just played it bad. On this one u posted i am struggling to decide of nealy again played it poorly or that was by design. I think he played it poorly again because again your have two guys at the same gap. 12 was there.

Wasnt nealy a olb? He was in olb spots alot imo when he shouldnt be. He needs to adapt and quick.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Im pretty Nealy will move back to his natural Will LB spot when Marcodes come back

wait ok, i may be confused. So marcodes would have been the starting MLB and nealy the other OLB if not for his injury?

if this is the case then that makes a ton of sense why nealy was acting like a OLB in his fits.

Also, if this is the case, I am a bit clueless why GT doesn't have another repped true MLB to back up marcodes...unless he is injure too? (harrell?)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
About that long wofford run. There was one positive on that at that really stood out to me during the play. #23 has heart and hustle. Came from about 3 zip codes away when he gave chase. And damn if he didn't close the gap considerably. Most that far away for the ball carrier wouldn't even try...or would run at 75%. He really turned on the jets and gave his all.
I think it was #28 DJ. FWIW I agree totally. He made up some serious ground and it showed a lot of hustle. On a hot day, to make a seemingly hopeless 90 yard sprint in full gear after playing every down, is no small thing. Good for him and thank you for mentioning it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think it was #28 DJ. FWIW I agree totally. He made up some serious ground and it showed a lot of hustle. On a hot day, to make a seemingly hopeless 90 yard sprint in full gear after playing every down, is no small thing. Good for him and thank you for mentioning it.
It was White, #28, seemingly our only D faster than the runner.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I already loved White...was already convinced he has future in the NFL. It's easy to make too much out of a single play but I think that play was telling. Pretty convinced now he not only has future in the league but a very bright one as well. Thanks for correcting me on the number.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Did not get to watch the game (also having trouble with downloads of replay) but I am really not too shook up over this game. I counted multiple teams that struggled or had close calls this past Saturday. Tech's performance was actually one of the better ones (when compared to Ohio State, NC State, UCLA and several others) and VIP's victory was over a team that is far less formidable than Wofford.

So let's not forget that Wofford is a very well coached team. They have given fits to several teams the last few years. Tech's performance against them was better than any of the last three games South Carolina had against Wofford.

We learned stuff with this game. We will get better.

Wofford is consistently one of the top 5 rushing teams in FCS, and it's not just scheme. They have had very good O lines and O linemen. And sometimes the difference between a FBS player and a FCS player isn't much - it's just that at FBS, there are more of them. Having seen more than a few (dozen, close to hundred) Georgia Southern games, I can tell you that the talent gap between good FCS and even good FBS is slim and sometimes nonexistent (Adrian Peterson, Brent Russell, Tracy Ham) on an individual level. The big difference is the additional 22 guys on schollies.
I expected our speed and our experienced LB play to make more of a difference than it did. But it was a good test against a team that plays hard, plays its assignments and doesn't back down from a challenge.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
wait ok, i may be confused. So marcodes would have been the starting MLB and nealy the other OLB if not for his injury?

if this is the case then that makes a ton of sense why nealy was acting like a OLB in his fits.

Also, if this is the case, I am a bit clueless why GT doesn't have another repped true MLB to back up marcodes...unless he is injure too? (harrell?)

I'm going assume the latter of it being bc Harrell is hurt.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wofford is consistently one of the top 5 rushing teams in FCS, and it's not just scheme. They have had very good O lines and O linemen. And sometimes the difference between a FBS player and a FCS player isn't much - it's just that at FBS, there are more of them. Having seen more than a few (dozen, close to hundred) Georgia Southern games, I can tell you that the talent gap between good FCS and even good FBS is slim and sometimes nonexistent (Adrian Peterson, Brent Russell, Tracy Ham) on an individual level. The big difference is the additional 22 guys on schollies.
I expected our speed and our experienced LB play to make more of a difference than it did. But it was a good test against a team that plays hard, plays its assignments and doesn't back down from a challenge.
Pretty much all good FCS teams have kids who can play. You are right. The gap is not that big and it is getting smaller. Just look down NFL rosters. I'll bet 30% of the league is FCS players. Depth is usually the biggest difference. I thought Wofford had a bunch of really tough kids, if not supremely talented. They came to play too. That opening kick return should have made it plain to everybody. That kid was not going to go down.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I had forgotten Harrell was still out. I thought he made a HUGE difference last year when he played. Any idea when he will be able to play again for us?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much all good FCS teams have kids who can play. You are right. The gap is not that big and it is getting smaller. Just look down NFL rosters. I'll bet 30% of the league is FCS players. Depth is usually the biggest difference. I thought Wofford had a bunch of really tough kids, if not supremely talented. They came to play too. That opening kick return should have made it plain to everybody. That kid was not going to go down.
Yep! I chuckled last week when some posters said that our second and third string could beat Wofford.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Big thing I saw was lack of intensity on both sides of the ball yet it was hot no doubt and guys were playing what was supposed to be a weak football team but we didnt get it done period.Yeah maybe we were out of position but when a team like Woffard runs right at you and gets yds........thats not good.Didnt see any leader on either side of the ball yet JT will be one if he continues to play well.We can fix all the problems but one thing is clear.......WE DO NOT HAVE ANYBODY ON OUR SCHEDULE WE CAN PACK IT IN ON.We have to play hard every game. WE got the win but ugly one at that but..........its still a win.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep! I chuckled last week when some posters said that our second and third string could beat Wofford.
Gosh Goldy i predicted a huge and I mean huge tech win..............man was I surprised ! Shoot with nine minutes to go it was a very close game.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Great balls of fire, how long are we gonna obsess over one bad play? Twenty post about it in minute detail? The thread's title also includes the word "good" in it. Why not 20 posts on Smelter's great play that gave us a one play TD drive. Can we have some analysis on the execution of each player's responsibility, how JT held the ball, the footwork of the OT, etc, etc, like we did on Wofford's TD play?

And for the younger guys on here, Tech almost always plays to the level of the competition. Been doing it my entire life, and will most likely do it for the rest of yours. It is especially true early in the year before we have established an offensive and defensive identity. Later in the year, we will have momentum, either up or down, and that will determine how we play against lesser and better teams. I remember the year Furman tied us in the opener when Curry was here. I caught a ration of s**t from a Tennessee co-worker. We beat Tennessee later that same year. Ask Ted Roof if he remembers the Western Carolina game when he was a senior? I also remember us taking #1 Arizona to the wire in the opener when we truly sucked in '95. If the first game is an indicator of how the year will go, we should have played Clemson in the Orange Bowl for the MNC in 1981.

Give the D a couple of games to get their act together. We lost some good players thru graduation and attrition, and there are some newbies and some oldies that sat out last year who have to settle into their positions. A disciplined team schooled in execution, like Wofford is, will expose errors in technique of their opponents. That's what happened, and the errors have to be corrected. That's why you practice. I like the athleticism I saw on Defense. Positioning, technique, execution will come as the season plays out.

Does anybody here remember a player we had in 1986 named Shane Curry? Played DE as a true Freshman for Bill Curry and was going to be a really good player. When Bill left at the end of 1986, Shane transferred to Miami and was a stud, but was shot and killed IIRC. It is spooky how much Freeman reminds me of Shane Curry. Same build, same quickness, same potential. And he's making Chungong play better, too.