The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The Good: The WR's and overall passing game was much better than I anticipated, Watched the center (Burden) on several plays and he did a great job. Except for the missed FG, our special teams looked pretty good.

The Bad: Playing a team like Wofford is a no win situation. If you do not win by 50, fans think the worst.
I thought our backs looked awful slow. I hope this was an illusion, but I do not see us breaking many long runs this year.

The Ugly: Tackling, Out of position, and no push on the DL I think concerns us all. The amount of rushing yards are one of my concerns for this season.

But, a win is a win, and now we have film to help us get better.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
The Good: The WR's and overall passing game was much better than I anticipated, Watched the center (Burden) on several plays and he did a great job. Except for the missed FG, our special teams looked pretty good.

The Bad: Playing a team like Wofford is a no win situation. If you do not win by 50, fans think the worst.
I thought our backs looked awful slow. I hope this was an illusion, but I do not see us breaking many long runs this year.

The Ugly: Tackling, Out of position, and no push on the DL I think concerns us all. The amount of rushing yards are one of my concerns for this season.

Agree. This offense sux to defend . Win is more important than anything. Struggles today will be forgotten later down the road when the basics get sorted out. I think they willing to

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

qb is a "back" too.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
While Tech's Defense gave up 326 yards of total offense and 5.4 yards per play, without the 92-yard run, the numbers would have been 234 yards and 4.0 yards per play.

Granted you still have to look at the whole, but I thought this might take some of the "sting" out of it.

Also, I believe we averaged 28 yards per kickoff return.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nealy had a bad game. Awful technique and angles. If this isn't improved on he needs to sit. He didn't challenge OL at all. He didn't use his hands. He stood there and got swallowed up time and time again. His run fits were absolutely true freshman like, not senior like. I am starting to think he is out of position at MLB.

And although none of you mentioned it, Gotsis had a really bad game. He was out of his lanes alot. There were many plays he crossed the face of this gaurd and ended up in Green's lane, you had two DT's in the same spot and the QB or BB gashed up that vacant hole. Gotsis was trying to do too much and not playing his lanes....

I actually thought the back 4 or 5 played ok. Not great but not bad either.

The front 6 or 7 did not play well at all.

The offense turned it on in the second half and looked good. In fact we may see thomas as a better passer than Vad ever was

PJ caught wind of this....and started throwing alot. In fact something like 4-5 straight plays and thomas was on fire....good coaching and recognition.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
It's the 1st game not to concerned like someone said take that 92yard td run defense played okay not that terrible. Offense got things going in second half. I do expect big improvements next game. People need to take a chill pill

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nealy had a bad game. Awful technique and angles. If this isn't improved on he needs to sit. He didn't challenge OL at all. He didn't use his hands. He stood there and got swallowed up time and time again. His run fits were absolutely true freshman like, not senior like. I am starting to think he is out of position at MLB.

And although none of you mentioned it, Gotsis had a really bad game. He was out of his lanes alot. There were many plays he crossed the face of this gaurd and ended up in Green's lane, you had two DT's in the same spot and the QB or BB gashed up that vacant hole. Gotsis was trying to do too much and not playing his lanes....

I actually thought the back 4 or 5 played ok. Not great but not bad either.

The front 6 or 7 did not play well at all.

The offense turned it on in the second half and looked good. In fact we may see thomas as a better passer than Vad ever was

PJ caught wind of this....and started throwing alot. In fact something like 4-5 straight plays and thomas was on fire....good coaching and recognition.
I noticed Gotsis absent from the PA announcer's calls most of the day.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Him trying to do too much sounds easily correctable yet it doesn't say much about his confidence in his teammates.

not sure if due to the latter or more because he wanted to stud out. I really think he was trying to be a hero....I do think he trusts green. But the bottom line, is he had a bad game. And Nealy did too, and when your two most important up the middle guys play soft you get what we got the first half.

Nealy I am much more concerned about right now between the two. That may have been one of the worst MLB performances on the flats (competition taken into consideration) I have seen since Ross Mitchell subbed in for a injured Daryl Smith vs Dantzler and Clemson.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
not sure if due to the latter or more because he wanted to stud out. I really think he was trying to be a hero....I do think he trusts green. But the bottom line, is he had a bad game. And Nealy did too, and when your two most important up the middle guys play soft you get what we got the first half.

Nealy I am much more concerned about right now between the two. That may have been one of the worst MLB performances on the flats (competition taken into consideration) I have seen since Ross Mitchell subbed in for a injured Daryl Smith vs Dantzler and Clemson.
What the hell happened to IJ and Golden on the busted play? Also, after looking at the replay, IJ was ok in run support, but he got hurt. Golden still looked soft. We can't have soft safeties, just can't have it.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I thought Snoddy's "pass reception" up the side line finally showed off his speed - would love to see more. Was disappointed a bit with Laskey - Days looked to be the better option at BB - he is a load to bring down

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Surprised no one has mentioned pass protection. J Thomas had some nice time to make his throws, he hung in there when there was pressure and moved well within the pocket as it changed. He also, unlike his predecessors, accurately gauges and responds to pressure.

Looks like he trusts his line and can stretch a play with his mobility when needed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Surprised no one has mentioned pass protection. J Thomas had some nice time to make his throws, he hung in there when there was pressure and moved well within the pocket as it changed. He also, unlike his predecessors, accurately gauges and responds to pressure.

Looks like he trusts his line and can stretch a play with his mobility when needed.
JT has much better pocket awareness and is much more elusive than Vad. He also uses his escapeability to keep the play alive, always keeping his eyes downfield. He's a better thrower on the run than Vad, too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What the hell happened to IJ and Golden on the busted play? Also, after looking at the replay, IJ was ok in run support, but he got hurt. Golden still looked soft. We can't have soft safeties, just can't have it.

are you referring to the 92 yard run?

gotsis was in a 5tech, green 3. Green played it right. I think adam got too up field for a run play but did play his lane.

The problem was 2 fold. Nealy went to take the left tackle and had poor body position and leverage. He didn't use his hands and took the tackle outside leverage. That left the A-Gap uncovered because Green took the GC double team and Gotsis was already upfield on the bgap (he was out of the play at the snap). So you had Green taking the double team like a good 3tech (he played it perfect). Now you have two to tackle one with one blocker (the OT that nealy took).

Here is the error. Nealy didn't do anything against that tackle right. He got swallowed and his body was on the wrong side. I know this because Davis had Bgap...Davis was there. There was no reason for nealy to be on that side of the tackle.

The second error was i Johnson. He cheated to the pitch key. He didn't watch the fact the ball was handed to the BB and immediately ran to his pitch key which was either the QB or pitchman (not sure what his assignment was that play but it looked like he was responsible for the QB which is very common)

This was a flat mental mistake. If nealy took inside leverage on the tackle, and IJ filled that play goes for 2-3 yards at the most. For me this is why the option is HARD to defend. One mental error, or in this case 2 and bam TD. IJ has to knock the rust off I am sure...but we rep against this everyday in practice and its inexcusable. Totally inexcusable. He had plenty of time to see the BB handoff.

Our MLB was absolutely bad. I am really nervous about other spread option teams exploiting this now...

FYI the D roof called for that play was perfect.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
are you referring to the 92 yard run?

gotsis was in a 5tech, green 3. Green played it right. I think adam got too up field for a run play but did play his lane.

The problem was 2 fold. Nealy went to take the left tackle and had poor body position and leverage. He didn't use his hands and took the tackle outside leverage. That left the A-Gap uncovered because Green took the GC double team and Gotsis was already upfield on the bgap (he was out of the play at the snap). So you had Green taking the double team like a good 3tech (he played it perfect). Now you have two to tackle one with one blocker (the OT that nealy took).

Here is the error. Nealy didn't do anything against that tackle right. He got swallowed and his body was on the wrong side. I know this because Davis had Bgap...Davis was there. There was no reason for nealy to be on that side of the tackle.

The second error was i Johnson. He cheated to the pitch key. He didn't watch the fact the ball was handed to the BB and immediately ran to his pitch key which was either the QB or pitchman (not sure what his assignment was that play but it looked like he was responsible for the QB which is very common)

This was a flat mental mistake. If nealy took inside leverage on the tackle, and IJ filled that play goes for 2-3 yards at the most. For me this is why the option is HARD to defend. One mental error, or in this case 2 and bam TD. IJ has to knock the rust off I am sure...but we rep against this everyday in practice and its inexcusable. Totally inexcusable. He had plenty of time to see the BB handoff.

FYI the D roof called for that play was perfect.
Two veteran players screwed the pooch. So much for youth as scapegoat.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Two veteran players screwed the pooch. So much for youth as scapegoat.

yeah. i have to say one thing though. I didn't see Golden making many errors....so I know you think he didn't play good, but actually i think he played relatively sound scheme wise. He may have missed a tackle or 2, like anyone does, but i think he played his keys well.

The most disappointing thing on this D is EXACTLY what you said. The three players who played the worst were seniors and one 3 year junior (gotsis, nealy, johnson). Although Johnson, may be getting a bad rap. He had that one bad play, but actually I think played well the rest of the game. But Gotsis and Nealy didn't have good games.